The Student Room Group

Best A Level subjects to choose if i want to do either medicine or law?

I am in year 11 right now and am stuck between whether i would rather do medicine at uni or law, and was wondering if anyone knows of a good combination that could incorporate both careers later on. I am predicted all A*s at GCSE level and would be aiming for Oxbridge.
History, Eng lit, Biology and Chemistry?
Reply 2
You need to take maths and chemistry for medicine.
Reply 3
Original post by popan006

No you don't.

You only need to take Chemistry, and preferably Biology (but it's not required).
Original post by igcse101
I am in year 11 right now and am stuck between whether i would rather do medicine at uni or law, and was wondering if anyone knows of a good combination that could incorporate both careers later on. I am predicted all A*s at GCSE level and would be aiming for Oxbridge.

definitely chemistry to A2 and biology at least to AS, and Maths is well respected for everything. Then an essay subject? English Lit maybe?
Assuming 4, but you could also take FM/do an EPQ if you wanted :smile:
I would do Maths, Chemistry, Biology, and History. If you still haven't decided by the end of year 12 then you should drop maths, but if you've chosen medicine then drop history and if you've chosen law then drop anything except history.
Reply 6
Original post by Planckton
definitely chemistry to A2 and biology at least to AS, and Maths is well respected for everything. Then an essay subject? English Lit maybe?
Assuming 4, but you could also take FM/do an EPQ if you wanted :smile:

Thank you so much for your help! How about for AS: Chemistry, biology, maths and history?
Reply 7
Original post by anonwinner
I would do Maths, Chemistry, Biology, and History. If you still haven't decided by the end of year 12 then you should drop maths, but if you've chosen medicine then drop history and if you've chosen law then drop anything except history.

Thank you that's so helpful! Also what extra curricular activities/ work experience would you suggest as well? Or what could i do to boost my personally statement? Is there anything I should be taking up? Thanks!!
Reply 8
Take a mix of subjects; so 2 sciences (phys, bio, chem, maths) and 2 written subjects (for law, a harder written subject, such as history or english is better than something such as psychology)

Good luck!
Reply 9
You definitely need maths for medicine in the UK. That's what Oxbridge look for as one of the required subjects taken for a level.
Thank you that's so helpful! Also what extra curricular activities/ work experience would you suggest as well? Or what could i do to boost my personally statement? Is there anything I should be taking up? Thanks!!

I don't know much about extra curricular activities for medicine/law but I think they're really important for medicine (especially work experience). Try to get work experience for medicine
Thank you so much for your help! How about for AS: Chemistry, biology, maths and history?

Sounds fab!
Medicine wise- realistically you need long term (>6 months) volunteering in a care setting eg care home, hospice, as well as some clinical work experience, which tends to be shadowing. The more the better, start as soon as you can
Original post by popan006

Chemistry and not Maths
I would say that if you are aiming for Oxbridge for either Medicine or Law (as your original post states), then Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and History would probably be the most ideal combination.

I would definitely advise NOT doing 2 sciences and 2 arts, since that wouldn't give you the strength of scientific background that other medical applicants would have. Medicine is more picky about what subjects you do than Law. Technically all sciences would be fine for Law, but I think having one essay subject is probably a good idea.

Quick Reply

Latest