The Student Room Group

Has anyone ever done ancestry autosomal DNA testing?

I can see that a lot of ethnic and/or racial threads are being made nearly every day on TSR in which people engage in controversial and heated discussions and general social debates.

I consider it both unnecessary and unproductive to be guided by stereotypes and create prescriptive measures on the basis of ethnic identity and/or racial makeup. In short, I am 0% racist, and consider myself to be the citizen of the world

However, despite being only a humble PPE student, I'm really into genetic research of haplogroups and autosomal DNA testing. The 23 chromosome data can reveal fascinating stories of human migration, interaction, mixing, warfare, diseases and so on.

So has anyone here tested their DNA? What were the results?

I'm Finnish and - as you may know - we're very unique in our DNA makeup from the rest of Europe because we originally came from the Ural region and - technically speaking - we used to be Asians

Here's my result:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by William Pitt
I can see that a lot of ethnic and/or racial threads are being made nearly every day on TSR in which people engage in controversial and heated discussions and general social debates.

I consider it both unnecessary and unproductive to be guided by stereotypes and create prescriptive measures on the basis of ethnic identity and/or racial makeup. In short, I am 0% racist, and consider myself to be the citizen of the world

However, despite being only a humble PPE student, I'm really into genetic research of haplogroups and autosomal DNA testing. The 23 chromosome data can reveal fascinating stories of human migration, interaction, mixing, warfare, diseases and so on.

I'm Finnish and - as you may know - we're very unique in our DNA makeup from the rest of Europe because we originally came from the Ural region and - technically speaking - we used to be Asians

Here's my result:

Wow you are really white.
99% :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you get these done?
And how much?
I'd love to get one of these done!!

If you're going to use clever words to make yourself sound clever at least get them right - autosomal DNA testing leaves you with 22 chromosome pairs, not 23.
Reply 5

Here's my result:

OMG! Are your parents mixed race?

What were your haplogroups?

That's so ancient! When did you people do your testing? 2005 or something?

My mtDNA haplogroup was (surprise surprise) K1a9
My dad's haplogroup was R1a1a* ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Reply 6
Original post by Karolinska Medic
You better fasten your belt buckle

You're possibly the most heterogeneous person ever :eek: How much disappears on standard/conservative modes?
Reply 7
My siblings did it like ages ago but I'm pretty homogeneous, like only Nordic ancestry and proto-Germanic haplogroups I1a and H
I want to get one of these done :daydreaming:
Original post by Karolinska Medic
You better fasten your belt buckle

For the love of God... Were your ancestors hypersexual madmen or perhaps extremely rich colonial merchants?
Thinking of having this done

Posted from TSR Mobile
100% adolf hitler
How do you do this?
Original post by doctor francis
100% adolf hitler

It's funny you mentioned him because testing his living relatives they found that his Y-DNA haplogroup was E1B1B. E1B1B is associated with Balkans, Italy and the Eastern Horn of Africa. Interestingly, Napoleon had the same paternal haplogroup.
Reply 14
Original post by Melancholic Mill
It's funny you mentioned him because testing his living relatives they found that his Y-DNA haplogroup was E1B1B. E1B1B is associated with Balkans, Italy and the Eastern Horn of Africa. Interestingly, Napoleon had the same paternal haplogroup.

Haplogroup in itself doesn't mean anything without autosomes. Hitler wasn't African (in my opinion), maybe he had Balkan ancestors as he claimed.

Richard III of England is believed to have J1c analyzing the skeleton found in Leicester. :crossedf:
Reply 15
Original post by Melancholic Mill
Yael, you're such a Jew. :indiff:

I know, but it turns out that I am not only Ashkenazi but also Sephardic.
Aren't these tests really expensive?
Original post by Powpowpowpowpow
Aren't these tests really expensive?

Not really; the most expensive I've seen was 500GBP here at Oxford University by prof. Bryan Sykes (but then again, he's great)

I don't want to make an advertisement for any particular company but you can do it for 125USD (plus some GBP charge for UPS delivery to the US etc) at 23andMe (they have biggest number of samples collected worldwide)

Original post by Pretty Girl
Bet you're all still ugly as sin though.

Best comment ever. Well I may be moderately attractive because I'm very homogeneous (as you can see from the data) but I'm sure the girls are much more attractive as their autosomes are so mixed. The more mixed you are > the greater variety of DNA > the better selection of the genes
I really want to get this done!
Not really; the most expensive I've seen was 500GBP here at Oxford University by prof. Bryan Sykes (but then again, he's great)

I don't want to make an advertisement for any particular company but you can do it for 125USD (plus some GBP charge for UPS delivery to the US etc) at 23andMe (they have biggest number of samples collected worldwide)

That's not too bad. Still a bit unaffordable though, but I was expecting it to be in the thousands.

Quick Reply

Latest