The Student Room Group

What the heck is an omega?

I mean in terms of guys; I've only just got my head around exactly what alphas and betas are. While the system is dumb, I'd still quite like clarification. Can someone enlighten me as to what a bloody omega is?

Scroll to see replies

According to UD : The polar opposite of the Alpha Male. Omega Males can have friends and close acquaintances but prefer to accomplish things on their own without the help of a group. Omega Males generally don't belong to any cliques and have no desire to be the leader or most outstanding of said clique. Omega Males have relations with people from all groups and carry a resourcefulness and cunning (sometimes strength) to get a job done with their own skill. This being said, an omega male can have great pride without it manifesting as "ego."
Original post by PrincessAlexis
According to UD : The polar opposite of the Alpha Male. Omega Males can have friends and close acquaintances but prefer to accomplish things on their own without the help of a group. Omega Males generally don't belong to any cliques and have no desire to be the leader or most outstanding of said clique. Omega Males have relations with people from all groups and carry a resourcefulness and cunning (sometimes strength) to get a job done with their own skill. This being said, an omega male can have great pride without it manifesting as "ego."

So, an introvert?
What's a theta male?
I am omega.

Wolf.
Reply 5

That basically sounds like me XD
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I am omega.

Wolf.

You're a sap

that's a rather nice definition.

Omega is also sometimes defined as complete and utter 'loser' by society's standards. 40-year old obese virgin neck beard unemployed living in parent's basement, etc.
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
You're a sap

And you're a ****ing **** but I don't go round telling you that all the time.
Reply 9
What about gamma males?
knowing any letters after alpha and beta = instant omega
Reply 11
Original post by EllieC130
I mean in terms of guys; I've only just got my head around exactly what alphas and betas are. While the system is dumb, I'd still quite like clarification. Can someone enlighten me as to what a bloody omega is?

This OP.
Anyone who thinks about this kind of rubbish obviously spends too much time on the internet.
Reply 13
It comes from zoological terminology. In wolves for example, the alpha male is the pack leader, the beta male is always second-bested by the alpha, and at the bottom is the omega male. The omega male is the lowest status wolf in the pack, and he receives constant harrassment and difficulties from the other males. For example, he always eats last, the other males nip (bite) him, and he generally has the worst time of all. My understanding is that when people use the term 'omega male' as an analogy for people, they're saying that that man is the lowest status, and consequently things never go the way he hopes they might.
Original post by miser
It comes from zoological terminology. In wolves for example, the alpha male is the pack leader, the beta male is always second-bested by the alpha, and at the bottom is the omega male. The omega male is the lowest status wolf in the pack, and he receives constant harrassment and difficulties from the other males. For example, he always eats last, the other males nip (bite) him, and he generally has the worst time of all. My understanding is that when people use the term 'omega male' as an analogy for people, they're saying that that man is the lowest status, and consequently things never go the way he hopes they might.

Without even going into how ridiculous it is that so many people extrapolate that to humans, even the original wolf pack theory has been widely debunked now. It all originated from one or two studies done decades ago, on wolves in captivity. In the last twenty years or so, there's been much more research on wolves in the wild and it's now widely accepted that the idea of innate rankings such as "alpha" and "omega" wolves, is a myth.

Here's a good link for anyone interested: http://io9.com/why-everything-you-know-about-wolf-packs-is-wrong-502754629

Marc Berkoff:
"Wolves (and other animals, including humans), display social dominance, he notes; it just isn't always easy to boil dominant behavior down to simple explanations. Dominant behavior and dominance relationships can be highly situational, and can vary greatly from individual to individual even within the same species. It's not the entire concept of wolves displaying social dominance that was dispelled, just the simple hierarchical pack structure."

If that doesn't stop people worrying about their natural order, then I don't know what will.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
And you're a ****ing **** but I don't go round telling you that all the time.

How did you come about this conclusion? :holmes:
Reply 16
Original post by e aí rapaz
Without even going into how ridiculous it is that so many people extrapolate that to humans, even the original wolf pack theory has been widely debunked now. It all originated from one or two studies done decades ago, on wolves in captivity. In the last twenty years or so, there's been much more research on wolves in the wild and it's now widely accepted that the idea of innate rankings such as "alpha" and "omega" wolves, is a myth.

Here's a good link for anyone interested: http://io9.com/why-everything-you-know-about-wolf-packs-is-wrong-502754629

Marc Berkoff:
"Wolves (and other animals, including humans), display social dominance, he notes; it just isn't always easy to boil dominant behavior down to simple explanations. Dominant behavior and dominance relationships can be highly situational, and can vary greatly from individual to individual even within the same species. It's not the entire concept of wolves displaying social dominance that was dispelled, just the simple hierarchical pack structure."

If that doesn't stop people worrying about their natural order, then I don't know what will.

Ah I had no idea it had been debunked! I remember watching a documentary not a million years ago in fact that was presenting alpha-beta-omega as current information. Thanks for pointing this out.

As for applying it to humans, I don't think it matters whether it's debunked or not - it plays the role of an analogy only. People could just as well use the terms 'dominant' and 'sub-dominant'. Fact is, there are characteristics associated with dominant behaviour and characteristics that aren't, and these I think are what the analogy tries to get at.
it's what people mistakenly believe "betas" are. In reality, "betas" are just average Joes.
The system is brilliant, it's like football you can be promoted or regelated.

Alpha>Beta>Omega

Omega was summed up well in the first response. I know a few guys like that on here
Why does anyone even care?

This 'alpha' 'beta' and 'omega' nonsense is absolutely ridiculous.

Quick Reply

Latest