The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7540
Part of me still thinks we'll finish above Utd this season.
Original post by sr90
Well he is the quality of player that midtable teams such as Liverpool can hope to attract these days.

Arsenal have made Sanogo available for loan as well.

Sanogo will score goals for Liverpool trust.
Original post by Pn94
Part of me still thinks we'll finish above Utd this season.

Yeh i can't see West Ham Utd keeping up their good run tbh. Losing Sakho and Kouyate to the ACON will be a huge blow, and their next 2 games are Chelsea and Arsenal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Merry Christmas to all my fellow Liverpool fans, and to anyone reading this for that matter.

Here's hoping we get the Christmas presents we all want: Sturridge to finally heal, Petr Cech and Marco Reus hey, I can dream, can't I?
Original post by Bromaldehyde
Merry Christmas to all my fellow Liverpool fans, and to anyone reading this for that matter.

Here's hoping we get the Christmas presents we all want: Sturridge to finally heal, Petr Cech and Marco Reus hey, I can dream, can't I?

If santa brings that I'll eat my sock, record it, and upload it to youtube.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If Santa brings us Torres, I'll be livid.
Original post by Mackay
If Santa brings us Torres, I'll be livid.

Equivalent of a stocking full of coal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
If santa brings that I'll eat my sock, record it, and upload it to youtube.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can't record it after eating it :tongue:
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
You can't record it after eating it :tongue:

True. But you will probably see me throwing it back up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Merry Christmas!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please can you take parasite off us.
Original post by jam277
Please can you take parasite off us.

Can't you just pay up his contract? Its going to be hard to persuade any club to pay a fee for him. Quite sad to see how fast he's declined really, his first 2 years at Liverpool he was one of the best strikers in the world.

Worst signing in premier league history surely?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Third year he was the ​best as well
Chealse han anal sex with toress for scoring goals against them
Reply 7554
Drogba and Villa > Torres. He was quality though.
Original post by Pn94
Drogba and Villa > Torres. He was quality though.

Agree with this post.

Shame what happened to him. Hopefully he does well at Atlético.
Original post by jam277
Agree with this post.

Shame what happened to him. Hopefully he does well at Atlético.

Jam wishing Torres well? The Christmas spirit never ceases to amaze me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Jam wishing Torres well? The Christmas spirit never ceases to amaze me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Torres didn't ask to be terrible at Chelsea. I think Simeone can get the best out of him though. by about november 2012 I could see he was done no excuses but after that e.g. in the europa league and the big games(supercup, City at the bridge etc.) he showed his worth to the team. He just wasn't good enough to be our main striker or one of 3 rotational strikers like last season.
Original post by jam277
Torres didn't ask to be terrible at Chelsea. I think Simeone can get the best out of him though. by about november 2012 I could see he was done no excuses but after that e.g. in the europa league and the big games(supercup, City at the bridge etc.) he showed his worth to the team. He just wasn't good enough to be our main striker or one of 3 rotational strikers like last season.

Agree, agree with post in Spanish thread as well. City goal he scored made me lol hard man.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Lmao no. Henderson has a restrictive passing range, and on the whole not great technical ability tbh. Guy is **** in the final third the same as Ramires, sorry James but they're both **** in the box. Henderson is a decent box-to-box player, nothing more really. His ball retention isn't bad to give him credit, as someone said he's not that great a utility man. Works well in a diamond though, think he'd do well in 4-3-3 as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you even watch Liverpool play? While Henderson may not be Gerrard-esque yet, he’s got a great range of passing. No point in having this argument though if you don’t watch him play. Yes he needs to improve his in his shooting but that will improve over time. Anyway Rodgers rates him very highly to name him vice-captain.

Original post by jam277
You've misread the point I said that in a 4-3-3 you have more attacking freedom than the 4-2-3-1 as a box to box midfielder as you have a guy behind to protect. Ramires barely had that so his stats look bad. Add to that he's not a starter like Henderson was as we played Luiz and Matic together second half of the season and Ramires got dropped.

That's not the point I'm trying to make the point is tactically Henderson was allowed to push forward more and he looked better because of it while Ramires rarely gets those same instructions so it's unfair to compare. In 10/11 and 11/12 he had his best seasons because Chelsea played 4-3-3 for majority of those seasons.

Sterling honestly is just a slightly better version of Willian but playing in less conservative tactics. Of course he will surpass him though.

The way you play the formations make all the difference. In many 4-2-3-1, the winger will cover the fullback in tracking back whereas in some 4-3-3 either the player on the flank or the sided midfield player will cover the fullback. Let’s be honest, we’ve had Gerrard as the deepest of the midfield three and he doesn’t exactly provide that much protection.
Agree that Ramires and Henderson have been playing slightly different roles. I don’t think any manager would trust Ramires any further forward though whereas Henderson could be.

Original post by JamesR12
Yeah, revel in having an opinion.
Rodgers has been playing Sterling off right wing for a lot of this season where it's proven that he's dire, and in general he played Sterling at the tip of the diamond whenever he could - Raheem is being shunted around and currently playing LW because that's the best fit for our squad. As for why have none of those three made the position theirs so far? Coutinho has been somewhat mistreated by Brendan and is still inconsistent no doubt, Raheem I've just discussed, and Markovic is being eased into English football.

From his midfield role for us he already did/does press high up the pitch. From CM he pressed forward into where the opposition DM would normally be - if he was playing at AM then he'd be pressing at RB, CB and LB - not the positions where you want Henderson to be because a) he's nowhere near good enough in an attacking sense even if he does contribute to us retrieving the ball high up the pitch, b) he's too far from most of the action to make his ball winning abilities any useful, c) we have other players like Sterling more than capable of doing the pressing from that position (btw despite his undoubted tireless nature he doesn't really have the pace to make up the ground quickly between the opposition's defense and midfield lines) and d) the value of his pressing compared to someone like Coutinho is just nowhere near a great enough reward for losing his midfield abilities. The idea that we put Henderson as number 10 in order to change the way our team is set up, to get us all pressing high up the pitch, is an optimal solution and that we'd be able to successfully replicate one of those teams, is silly.

Look, you can say all you like about his passing and technique etc (and I can go back and forth saying his passing is more circulation than incision, that his set pieces are mediocre), fact of the matter is, he's not a goalscorer. He's just not statistically proven. He doesn't have the technique or composure to score large numbers of goals consistently. He leans back too much, his placement is poor, he doesn't have a good enough laces-shot, his side foots are weak. He's not proved it at any level yet. So on the one hand 'Rodgers plays Sterling LW therefore it is definitely Sterling's best position' and on the other hand 'Rodgers plays Henderson at CM but he doesn't know best and it should be at AM'.

Rafa didn't turn Gerrard from into an AM straight away. He did his time at CM, winning us the CL. Then at RM, winning us the FA Cup single handedly and scoring 23 goals. Then he did a job in a few positions/combinations for 18 months before being made the AM in the 4-2-3-1 at the end of Torres' first season. The difference is that all the way through before becoming an AM (for all of 18 months, mind you), he was scoring goals. Padded by penalties, but he was a lethal finisher from 12-25 yards. Truly excellent. He always was, even in the years under Houllier who tried his hardest to suppress him. He was scoring wonder-goals and edge of the box finishes for us from day one. Henderson has never shown that kind of goalscoring (or ability level in general).

Finally, comparing anyone to Steven Gerrard is ridiculous.

:rolleyes: Keep your sarcastic comments to yourself.

Sterling’s poor performances are down to a number of other factors and not just his position. We have no decent forward playing so he doesn’t have the movement or pace in front of him to either make creative passes or give-and-gos or someone creating space for him. Sturridge and Suarez gave that in abundance last season. His form/decision making has been poorer this season too which I think also comes from playing a lot of football (compared to last season) and feeling more weight on his shoulders to perform.

Rodgers has said in his press conferences that he thinks Sterling’s best position is LW. Rodgers’ preferred tactic is to have the fullbacks provide the width and the wingers to cut inside. There’s a reason Sterling is on the left more often than the right he wants him to be running towards goal not to the corner flag. All of the players are flexible and can play across the front three which is why there’s so much chopping and changing.
Henderson has moved steadily deeper to help cover Gerrard’s deficiencies. Those have become so obvious that we now play Lucas deepest. I agree that Henderson played further forward before but he’s been deeper for England and more recently Liverpool.

Last season we had Sturridge and Suarez pressing the CBs and fullbacks (and DMs at times) and then Henderson supported that to press the DM and higher. This season and going forward, we’re going to be playing with one striker more often so when Sturridge plays, you want another player to help the pressing high up the pitch. Balotelli/Lambert aren’t going to give you that and Borini will be gone in January. Having a sole striker try to press their back 5 is a waste of his energy and if you stop doing that, you’re no longer playing Rodgers’ preferred style of play.

Henderson has the energy and tenacity to win the ball high up the pitch and then he can play the simple pass to Sturridge to score. I think Sterling can do this role too but at the moment you need to make the most out of the players you have and Sterling is our best winger. We’d be trying to play the game 10-20 yards higher than we currently are so Henderson would remain involved with the game.

That’s a ridiculous argument. Players develop over time. Gerrard wasn’t a goal scorer in his younger days and equally in more recent times we’ve seen players like Bale and Ramsey rapidly change from type to goal scorers. Gerrard is a decade older than Henderson. In the 02/03, Gerrard scored 7 in 54 games and in 03/04 he scored 6 in 47. Those figures are actually worse than Henderson’s record in 12/13 and 13/14 (I’ve compared like for like ages/years).

So you’re saying that Henderson isn’t statistically proven and then using your own judgment on his ability? Is that any less contradictory than the parts of my post you’ve taken?

That makes little sense since we’ve seen Henderson play plenty of different roles under Rodgers from CM, RM to RWB to further forward. Yes I agree that Gerrard was always great and shooting from deep but how many long range efforts to we take now? Under Rodgers we’re generally closer to the opposition goal than the counterattacking/direct football we played under Rafa with Torres/Gerrard combo. I’m not asking Henderson to be taking long range shots but his runs from deep are highlighted as a strong point and I think his goal scoring numbers would improve if he was playing closer to goal.

I don't see what is ridiculous about comparing a player to a 23 year old Steven Gerrard.

Quick Reply

Latest