The Student Room Group

White-Washing in HipHop, Pop AND Rap music? Do you agree?

Poll

White-Washing in black Music is it real?

Have you noticed how more and more of the music industry that has been consistently dominated by black artists is being stolen by white artists? It's not just in HipHoP and Pop where white artists have always been around either it's also happening in Rap which is the defining black music

This cultural smudging of black people and black culture in favour of white people has really damaged the next generation of black artists and fans that are trying to break into the scene. Because no longer is being black a selling point but it's actually a disadvantage.

One such artist is the female rap "star" Iggy Azeala who is not only white but actually from Australia so imo she has no business singing about African-American issues nor using African-American discourse to try and sell her songs to - wait for it - black kids.

Then there's Taylor Swift who recently released a video where she was dancing around in a tracksuit and busting moves in a very black way.

I think we have a really big problem on our hands. And anyone who follows black music should be willing to take part in the discussion.

Another example is white people who wear dreadlocks who perpetuate cultural appropriation by wearing their hair in Rastafarian fashion.

Ps. Eminem is the exception.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2
bump
Taylor swift should just **** right off she's a joke.

I havent noticed white washing that much but after thinking about it I'm being more aware. I don't think colour has much to do with it when it comes to sales though. The big guns like jay z kanye etc are still holding strong
Reply 4
But who has the best voices lol? Black people.
Reply 5
Original post by bittr n swt
Taylor swift should just **** right off she's a joke.

I havent noticed white washing that much but after thinking about it I'm being more aware. I don't think colour has much to do with it when it comes to sales though. The big guns like jay z kanye etc are still holding strong

Kanye west is actually failing. His fans are leaving him because marrying Kim K ruined his career. As for Jay z I'm unaware of anyone who buys his records he's just relevant 'cause Queen B is the 2nd highest paid hip hop star after Dr Dre.

What do you think of iggy azeala? And do you know who azeala banks is?

Original post by sarskinz
But who has the best voices lol? Black people.

Yeah black people sing better as well. Adele is good but that cow goes out of breath even when she's standing still.
You guys are listening to pop, how the **** can you claim to care about black culture? Give me a break...
Original post by Mr Wrong
Kanye west is actually failing. His fans are leaving him because marrying Kim K ruined his career. As for Jay z I'm unaware of anyone who buys his records he's just relevant 'cause Queen B is the 2nd highest paid hip hop star after Dr Dre.

What do you think of iggy azeala? And do you know who azeala banks is?

Yeah black people sing better as well. Adele is good but that cow goes out of breath even when she's standing still.

I'm a big fan of Iggy really like her. I know banks but not a huge fan of her

Never knew west was falling tbh not surprised Kim k is a piece of ****
Who actually cares? Hip hop / rap is a completely degenerate 'art' form...

It's supposed to be taken seriously when all you hear is 'bitches' 'hoes' guns money drugs murder.... yea ok.
White washing is the wrong word; that's like society is trying to force out the black artists in favour of white ones which it isn't. White people are just getting into that genre too; now I'm not saying these artists are good but at the same time certain genres aren't reserved for certain races. What if we started getting more black artists in country music, which is more white people dominated? Side note though- how the hell could you white wash pop? Though in my opinion it's a mix of races in that genre, I'd say it's one of the whiter ones. Also, I don't agree that all the better singers are black but that's just me.
Reply 10
Original post by Time Tourist

It's supposed to be taken seriously when all you hear is 'bitches' 'hoes' guns money drugs murder.... yea ok.

lol looking at your sig 'nough said. hahaha :lmao:

Original post by EllieC130
White washing is the wrong word; that's like society is trying to force out the black artists in favour of white ones which it isn't. White people are just getting into that genre too; now I'm not saying these artists are good but at the same time certain genres aren't reserved for certain races. What if we started getting more black artists in country music, which is more white people dominated? Side note though- how the hell could you white wash pop? Though in my opinion it's a mix of races in that genre, I'd say it's one of the whiter ones. Also, I don't agree that all the better singers are black but that's just me.

This is actually the case. You need to open your eyes and look at Rap and hip hop only to realise that there's a major influx of white artists who makes artists? The labels i..e the corporation = society (=the illuminati you don't have to believe in the illuminati but I do they're at the top of the music industry and they decide what we listen to).

Black artists are also reporting that it's harder to break out into the rap/hiphop scene because white people are taking their jobs.

Look at azeala banks her music is 10 times better than iggy azeala's but the media is rooting for iggy because she's white.

You clearly don't listen to much rap...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Knee Grow
You clearly don't listen to much rap...

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I don't... it's degenerate.
No, I don't... it's degenerate.

Rubbish, go listen to some Shad and come back and tell me that. "mainstream rap" or Crap, or hip-pop, it's all the same genre, yeah that's degenerate tripe like the music of the bieb-machine, but if there is plenty of amazing rap with just gob-smackingly good lines of poetry in them. Unfortunately you have to really look for it these days and it's not right in your face like it was in the 80's :frown:
The OP is a little cry baby racist. Maybe if you feel that way go back to where you come from.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Rubbish, go listen to some Shad and come back and tell me that. "mainstream rap" or Crap, or hip-pop, it's all the same genre, yeah that's degenerate tripe like the music of the bieb-machine, but if there is plenty of amazing rap with just gob-smackingly good lines of poetry in them. Unfortunately you have to really look for it these days and it's not right in your face like it was in the 80's :frown:

Maybe there is some highly obscure underground stuff that has slightly more artistic merit. But I don't really care because that's not what most people listen to. The most popular rap and hip hop is utter ****e - as in dregs - as is the message of most of it. And then people claim that it has artistic merit and must be respected. You get Andrew Marr fawning over Jay Z. If he was white... he might question some of his lyrics... but since he's black we have cultural relativism.
Maybe there is some highly obscure underground stuff that has slightly more artistic merit. But I don't really care because that's not what most people listen to. The most popular rap and hip hop is utter ****e - as in dregs - as is the message of most of it. And then people claim that it has artistic merit and must be respected. You get Andrew Marr fawning over Jay Z. If he was white... he might question some of his lyrics... but since he's black we have cultural relativism.

Well I agree with you on that, but seriously go listen to shad he's amazing. One of the most cited decent mainstream rappers these days is "Kendrick Lamar" too. He's solid enough as an artist.

Shad - The Old Prince still lives at home - story of my life hahaha.
Who gives a ****? People are going to listen who sounds the best at the end of the day and that taste is subjective.
People like you complaining over trivial nonsense is why people don't take minorities seriously
Reply 18
They're trying to make Iggy happen. They should stop. Banks should get way more recognition. I loved her latest album.
Original post by Zargabaath
Who gives a ****? People are going to listen who sounds the best at the end of the day and that taste is subjective.
People like you complaining over trivial nonsense is why people don't take minorities seriously

White people stole rock and roll, black people are stealing bond, Americans stole the English language.

Is it stealing? Really?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest