The Student Room Group

What's with the stereotype of fatties being poor?

Scroll to see replies

I think the reason is probably that America has traditionally been seen as the most obese nation hence people might draw stereotypes from America and extrapolate them to other countries.

Although there is a lower correlation now, there used to be a correlation between poverty and obesity in the USA. In the USA there is a culture of eating out more than in the UK and while restaurant food can be fattening anywhere, the cheaper end e.g. McDonald's is probably worse. Furthermore if you eat at McDonald's out you're probably more likely to eat out at McDonald's at lunch/breakfast as well since it is priced similarly to a sandwich etc.

With regards to the posts made in this thread, it's not always in the person's control what they eat, for example, in the USA (I'm assuming predominately poor schools) the school dinners used to be (and maybe still are) very unhealthy and fattening (as highlighted by Jaime Oliver).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Olderandwiser23
Why does anyone have to fight? Lol is this normal on tsr? It's Christmas Eve! All get wasted! I already am!

Wasted and going on tsr is certainly the dream...
Original post by bittr n swt
Wasted and going on tsr is certainly the dream...

Totes and I'm surrounded by bigoted old people. Love it :/ *reaches for more wine*
I didn't know it was a stereotype!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by naxiv
Gym - £20/month
McDonalds - £5.99/meal. They probably end up spending £60/month.

Your logic is still flawed

Not saying that I agree with the stereotype but you can't eat a gym membership. Also, it's a whole meal which would be preferable to a single vegetable when you are hungry.
Reply 25
Original post by orangeee22
Not saying that I agree with the stereotype but you can't eat a gym membership. Also, it's a whole meal which would be preferable to a single vegetable when you are hungry.

Well considering I live on kale, chicken breast and mayonnaise and [[protein shake, but that's for gtm]], it's much cheaper than constantly go and spending £6/meal on McDonalds which you'd later probably feel sick.
Totes and I'm surrounded by bigoted old people. Love it :/ *reaches for more wine*

Sorry I meant being drunk alone, wasted and on tsr is the dream....

Call me bigoted I don't care
Original post by naxiv
Well considering I live on kale, chicken breast and mayonnaise and [[protein shake, but that's for gtm]], it's much cheaper than constantly go and spending £6/meal on McDonalds which you'd later probably feel sick.

Definitely agree with this, I'm just saying that spending money on a gym membership is too expensive for some when they could spend it on something useful and go running or walking for free. :smile:
Sorry I meant being drunk alone, wasted and on tsr is the dream....

Call me bigoted I don't care

I meant *IM* surrounded by said bigoted old people.

*reaches for shots*
Original post by TheGuyReturns
Despite actual data concluding otherwise? http://www.poverty.org.uk/63/index.shtml

It's also quite funny how people will nod along and agree to this stereotype before citing their own bull**** reasons for this being true:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2538708/Poor-children-likely-obese-Study-finds-weight-creating-class-divide.html#comments

However when the blame shifts to a group of people who aren't the poor, well...:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2277382/Middle-class-children-MORE-likely-obese-poorer-backgrounds.html#comments

(Note: No, citing the Daily Mail does not invalidate my point, because we aren't looking at what the DM itself has said, rather what their readers (average Joes) are saying)

In poorer countries the greater your mass the richer you are.
Reply 30
Original post by orangeee22
Definitely agree with this, I'm just saying that spending money on a gym membership is too expensive for some when they could spend it on something useful and go running or walking for free. :smile:

Yeah I know :smile:
Or even buy some equipments in your back garden
'Fatter' people, to an extent are richer than normal-sized people. It's them you see paying £150/month for a Personal Trainer when they finally realise they're obese.
Original post by naxiv
Yeah I know :smile:
Or even buy some equipments in your back garden
'Fatter' people, to an extent are richer than normal-sized people. It's them you see paying £150/month for a Personal Trainer when they finally realise they're obese.

Where's your data for this?
Reply 32
Where's your data for this?

http://www.troll/pdp.co.uk
With regard to the stereotype, I think poor people are as likely to be obese as underweight but they're rarely a nice healthy weight, which better off people seem more likely to be unfortunately.
As for some of the points people are making, you can't just pick and choose prices and food types to suit your argument. At the end of the day buying bottom of the range supermarket burgers, chicken nuggets, chips, ketchup etc will always make a far cheaper meal than buying numerous vegetables, more high-end meat/fish and home-made sauce with fresh ingredients. Processed, artificial foods are cheap and fresh, organic foods are not.
Just like to comment that the fact that the title of the thread descring people as "fatties" could be seen as quite offensive lol

Anyways it is because fatty foods are cheaper and people who are poor don't have a high disposable income so they can't spend money on gyms etc or healthier foods which generally cost more
Also one point that has not been addressed yet is that poor people tend to work longer hours since they earn less money each hour and so they have less recreational time. This means they don't have time to go to the gym or do that yoga plan or learn how to dance or do sports and so on.

Also, there is a correlation between wealth and education and there is a correlation with education and lower-obesity. Presumably somebody with a good education in general is more likely to know more about nutrition and so they will eat healthier more efficiently.
Poor people lack money
Can't buy healthy foods which are more expensive than junk
Buy more junk and ready cooked meals
???

Obesity

Completely untrue, I eat healthy as **** for £10 a week, most multipacks of crisps would take at ;east £2.50 out of that £10
Original post by SophieSmall
Completely untrue, I eat healthy as **** for £10 a week, most multipacks of crisps would take at ;east £2.50 out of that £10

May I ask what healthy stuff you buy? For example I really wanna buy more fruits but they're expensive (this is during uni term)
May I ask what healthy stuff you buy? For example I really wanna buy more fruits but they're expensive (this is during uni term)

I'll admit it is harder to have a healthy diet on that budget if you don't live near and aldi, lidl home bargains or fruit and vegetable grocers.

An average shopping list for me (I tend to shop every 2 weeks)

-chopped diced onions 89p in iceland (I'd buy whole onions and chop them up to freeze as it's cheaper but my eyes close up when I chop onions :frown: )
- 3 tins of chopped tomatoes 31p each tesco
- pack of 12 eggs £1 aldi/lidl
- 4 serving pack of udon noodles 60p home bargains
- 2 x 12 pack of sausages £1each aldi/lidl
-mushrooms 69p aldi/lidl
-spring onions 49p aldi/lidl
- 2x pack of tortilla chips basic 49p each aldi/lidl
-3x pots of salsa 69p each aldi/lidl
2x bag of basic pasta 29p each aldi/lidl
5/6x pack of stir fry sauces 49p each in aldi or lidl or 2 3multipacks in home bargains 79p each
-2x mixed peppers 49p each (I chop these into slices and freeze for future use)
-2x basic pasta sauces depending on what you prefer between 39-75p each aldi/lidl
-8 pack of tortillas wraps 89 p aldi/lidl
-1kg cooking bacon 1.69 aldi/lidl
-bag of frozen Mediterranean veg £1 iceland
-890g block of mature cheddar £3.99 aldi/lidl
-sweet potatoes 89p aldi/lidl

Now that's just off the top of my head and is not a representation of all i ever eat as I mix it up quite a bit but always stays around the same price, that all added up to around £21 for 2 weeks worth of shopping. And trust me I eat ALL the time, I've even gained a little weight.
Original post by SophieSmall
I'll admit it is harder to have a healthy diet on that budget if you don't live near and aldi, lidl home bargains or fruit and vegetable grocers.

An average shopping list for me (I tend to shop every 2 weeks)

-chopped diced onions 89p in iceland (I'd buy whole onions and chop them up to freeze as it's cheaper but my eyes close up when I chop onions :frown: )
- 3 tins of chopped tomatoes 31p each tesco
- pack of 12 eggs £1 aldi/lidl
- 4 serving pack of udon noodles 60p home bargains
- 2 x 12 pack of sausages £1each aldi/lidl
-mushrooms 69p aldi/lidl
-spring onions 49p aldi/lidl
- 2x pack of tortilla chips basic 49p each aldi/lidl
-3x pots of salsa 69p each aldi/lidl
2x bag of basic pasta 29p each aldi/lidl
5/6x pack of stir fry sauces 49p each in aldi or lidl or 2 3multipacks in home bargains 79p each
-2x mixed peppers 49p each (I chop these into slices and freeze for future use)
-2x basic pasta sauces depending on what you prefer between 39-75p each aldi/lidl
-8 pack of tortillas wraps 89 p aldi/lidl
-1kg cooking bacon 1.69 aldi/lidl
-bag of frozen Mediterranean veg £1 iceland
-890g block of mature cheddar £3.99 aldi/lidl
-sweet potatoes 89p aldi/lidl

Now that's just off the top of my head and is not a representation of all i ever eat as I mix it up quite a bit but always stays around the same price, that all added up to around £21 for 2 weeks worth of shopping. And trust me I eat ALL the time, I've even gained a little weight.

I was pretty good at shopping as luckily we had a market, but where did you go to uni? I've found when I moved to London I only had maybe 1 choice of super market where I lived if I was lucky. Otherwise I had to use metro/local shops which are so pricey! :-(

Quick Reply

Latest