The Student Room Group

Laptops in lectures?

Can someone tell me the low down on using laptops to take notes during lectures? Do you do it, or find it annoying when other people do? Help me out here guys :biggrin: I wanna take my macbook pro to uni

Scroll to see replies

No one really does it, they might use it to look at lecture slides but I'd say nowadays more people use tablets or their phone for that. People will take laptops in to do work in case they can't get on a uni computer though.
Not many people use laptops in my lectures. Some of them use it to play games during the lecture. Some follow along with the powerpoint. Others write notes but I find it can get annoying if their laptop keyboard makes a lot of noise, because then you can just hear tap tap tap tap :mad:
I do it, mainly because I'm ridiculously slow at writing but fairly fast at typing so it's just more practical for me. A fair few people in my lectures do it and it's never seemed to cause bother before.
Reply 4
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Not many people use laptops in my lectures. Some of them use it to play games during the lecture. Some follow along with the powerpoint. Others write notes but I find it can get annoying if their laptop keyboard makes a lot of noise, because then you can just hear tap tap tap tap :mad:

Yeah I can see how it can be distracting for other people, now that you mention it. Thanks!:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by EllieC130
I do it, mainly because I'm ridiculously slow at writing but fairly fast at typing so it's just more practical for me. A fair few people in my lectures do it and it's never seemed to cause bother before.

Which university do you go to?
Original post by tnshattock
Yeah I can see how it can be distracting for other people, now that you mention it. Thanks!:smile:

If your keyboard is relatively quiet then I think that is fine :smile: Some laptops just have those really loud keyboards :lol:
You could always take your laptop to uni but not use it in lectures. I'd love to have mine with me in uni, it would be so helpful and I'd be way more productive during breaks between labs/lectures :tongue:
Reply 7
If your keyboard is relatively quiet then I think that is fine :smile: Some laptops just have those really loud keyboards :lol:
You could always take your laptop to uni but not use it in lectures. I'd love to have mine with me in uni, it would be so helpful and I'd be way more productive during breaks between labs/lectures :tongue:

Oh yeah, my keyboard's relatively quiet; but how come you're not allowed to use it in lectures at your university? I'm sure there are universities out there that allow it. :biggrin: I totally agree that people would be way more productive with laptops handy. Typing fast > writing painfully slower than required :thumbsup:
Oh yeah, my keyboard's relatively quiet; but how come you're not allowed to use it in lectures at your university? I'm sure there are universities out there that allow it. :biggrin: I totally agree that people would be way more productive with laptops handy. Typing fast > writing painfully slower than required :thumbsup:

We are allowed to use laptops :smile: I just don't take mine

For me, I think if the lecture started to get boring I would go on the internet, at least with pen and paper I'm kind of forced to listen/concentrate :tongue:
Which university do you go to?

Kent why?
Depends on the lecturer, some wont let us because we are games students. For some reason they think we'd be playing a massive online game together in the lecture instead of paying attention... they're probably right.
Reply 11
We are allowed to use laptops :smile: I just don't take mine

For me, I think if the lecture started to get boring I would go on the internet, at least with pen and paper I'm kind of forced to listen/concentrate :tongue:

Hmmm, I am the type of girl that gets distracted easily. I think I'd bail in the first half an hour and go on twitter or something :erm:
Hmmm, I am the type of girl that gets distracted easily. I think I'd bail in the first half an hour and go on twitter or something :erm:

Sounds like me haha, sometimes I end up on Instagram on my phone :tongue: But if your lecturer is interesting you will be fine
Quite a few people take laptops into lectures and I'll probably start doing so next term as I usually just print and annotate lecture slides and then type them up at home so it would probably be easier to type them up during the lecture. Also, I hate when the lecture goes through the slides too quickly for me to jot things down so being able to have the slides open will be useful, too.
I just bought myself a new laptop in the last week, partly because I wanted one that would be good for using in lectures. My old laptop was too heavy and chunky for carrying around, but I did make the effort to bring it around with me towards the end of last semester because I found the laptop itself really useful during lectures.

From my observstion, loads of people use laptops during lectures. I would say they're really useful for getting down information quickly whilst still being able to listen properly. As long as people don't bash their keyboards while typing, I don't mind them using their laptops when they're next to me. :smile:
Loads do it on my course and I don't find it irritating in fact when they have the ppt up I like to have a peep on the next slide lol

Personally I'm a pen and paper man
Reply 16
Its totally normal at my uni; everyone has their Macs writing literally everything the lecturer says.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by LeaX
Quite a few people take laptops into lectures and I'll probably start doing so next term as I usually just print and annotate lecture slides and then type them up at home so it would probably be easier to type them up during the lecture. Also, I hate when the lecture goes through the slides too quickly for me to jot things down so being able to have the slides open will be useful, too.

I don't understand- do uni students get the slides sent to them? How come they have em on their laptops (sorry for being ignorant here, I just genuinely don't know) ;(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Loads of people in my class (Computer Science) use laptops for both notes and live coding!

We have lecture slides because they are usually posted for download onto thr Uni's online learning website beforehand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't understand- do uni students get the slides sent to them? How come they have em on their laptops (sorry for being ignorant here, I just genuinely don't know) ;(

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most universities have an online system (e.g. Dashboard), where lectures will upload their slides, tutorial sheets etc. It's simply a case of going there and either viewing/downloading.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending