The Student Room Group

Fourier series

I don't understand how they got the lines circled in red? The period is 2pi so surely the lines circled in red should not be there?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by GPODT

I don't understand how they got the lines circled in red? The period is 2pi so surely the lines circled in red should not be there?

it is because the period is 2pi
Original post by GPODT

I think you're right, for what it's worth: the lines which are circled in red should not be there.
Reply 3
Original post by TeeEm
it is because the period is 2pi

Original post by GPODT

correction I did not really read properly
I read "I do not understand why the red lines should not be there"

The answer is they are NOT

which now I wonder, why did YOU put them there?
Reply 4
Original post by TeeEm

He's asking why are the lines within the red circles there, I don't think he put them there.
Reply 5
Original post by Phichi
He's asking why are the lines within the red circles there, I don't think he put them there.

I only ask because it is handwritten and the other day he was asking about a different question on partial differentiation and I remember his strikingly neat handwriting.
Reply 6
Original post by TeeEm

Original post by TeeEm
I only ask because it is handwritten and the other day he was asking about a different question on partial differentiation and I remember his strikingly neat handwriting.

Original post by Smaug123
I think you're right, for what it's worth: the lines which are circled in red should not be there.

Original post by Phichi

Just to clarify, my handwriting is nowhere near as neat lol. These are worked examples given to me by my lecturer. I drew red circles over the black lines that I think shouldn't be there? My question is: did my lecturer make a mistake in drawing these black lines (that I have circled in red) or am I missing something?
Reply 7
Original post by GPODT
Just to clarify, my handwriting is nowhere near as neat lol. These are worked examples given to me by my lecturer. I drew red circles over the black lines that I think shouldn't be there? My question is: did my lecturer make a mistake in drawing these black lines (that I have circled in red) or am I missing something?

I do not think there should be there ...
Original post by GPODT

you're in sixth from and doing fourier series?? which exam board is this??
Reply 9
Original post by Ilovemaths96

clearly wrongly labelled
Reply 10

Sorry this is actually undergraduate Engineering Mathematics lol. AFAIK, Fourier series isn't covered at A-Level.
Original post by GPODT
Sorry this is actually undergraduate Engineering Mathematics lol. AFAIK, Fourier series isn't covered at A-Level.

Lol i was thinking a lvel maths has become much harder suddenly haha. Yeah, I covered it recently too at uni
Reply 12
Lol i was thinking a lvel maths has become much harder suddenly haha. Yeah, I covered it recently too at uni

To be honest, I don't think Fourier Series is much more difficult than some of the content in FP2 or FP3.
Original post by GPODT
To be honest, I don't think Fourier Series is much more difficult than some of the content in FP2 or FP3.

True, not difficult really. SHould have been included in the syllabus
Reply 14
Original post by TeeEm
I do not think there should be there ...

Original post by Smaug123

Why have they introduced n=2k-1 ? I got the answer without doing this so is there a specific reason they have introduced k?
Reply 15
Original post by GPODT

Why have they introduced n=2k-1 ? I got the answer without doing this so is there a specific reason they have introduced k?

yes

(1 + (-1)n) alternates between 0 and 2
Original post by TeeEm
yes

if i'm not mistaken, odd funtion have fourier series of cosines only and even functions have fourier series with sines only?
Reply 17
if i'm not mistaken, odd funtion have fourier series of cosines only and even functions have fourier series with sines only?

the other way round

odd sine only
even cosine only
Reply 18
Original post by TeeEm
yes

Ah, I see why they done so though it doesn't really speed up the working out process!

Thanks.
Reply 19
Original post by GPODT
Ah, I see why they done so though it doesn't really speed up the working out process!

Thanks.

it produces a neater expression at the end

Quick Reply

Latest