The Student Room Group

What's with the stereotype of fatties being poor?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olderandwiser23
I was pretty good at shopping as luckily we had a market, but where did you go to uni? I've found when I moved to London I only had maybe 1 choice of super market where I lived if I was lucky. Otherwise I had to use metro/local shops which are so pricey! :-(

I'm quite lucky in that I live in liverpool and the choices of shops are within 5 minutes of eachother.
Original post by SophieSmall
I'm quite lucky in that I live in liverpool and the choices of shops are within 5 minutes of eachother.

That's so lucky. I only had saynos which is pricey and a market which was good.

Tbh though when I left uni and started work, convenience became a bigger factor for me :/ I need to start eating better! 2015 I'm gonna do better! Lol
That's so lucky. I only had saynos which is pricey and a market which was good.

Tbh though when I left uni and started work, convenience became a bigger factor for me :/ I need to start eating better! 2015 I'm gonna do better! Lol

Yeah I am pretty lucky in that respect, and so I can understand for some people it can be much harder if they don't live anywhere near a selection of shops or if they live somewhere secluded with like 1 village shop

Good luck with your eating better! :3
I'll admit it is harder to have a healthy diet on that budget if you don't live near and aldi, lidl home bargains or fruit and vegetable grocers.

An average shopping list for me (I tend to shop every 2 weeks)

-chopped diced onions 89p in iceland (I'd buy whole onions and chop them up to freeze as it's cheaper but my eyes close up when I chop onions :frown: )
- 3 tins of chopped tomatoes 31p each tesco
- pack of 12 eggs £1 aldi/lidl
- 4 serving pack of udon noodles 60p home bargains
- 2 x 12 pack of sausages £1each aldi/lidl
-mushrooms 69p aldi/lidl
-spring onions 49p aldi/lidl
- 2x pack of tortilla chips basic 49p each aldi/lidl
-3x pots of salsa 69p each aldi/lidl
2x bag of basic pasta 29p each aldi/lidl
5/6x pack of stir fry sauces 49p each in aldi or lidl or 2 3multipacks in home bargains 79p each
-2x mixed peppers 49p each (I chop these into slices and freeze for future use)
-2x basic pasta sauces depending on what you prefer between 39-75p each aldi/lidl
-8 pack of tortillas wraps 89 p aldi/lidl
-1kg cooking bacon 1.69 aldi/lidl
-bag of frozen Mediterranean veg £1 iceland
-890g block of mature cheddar £3.99 aldi/lidl
-sweet potatoes 89p aldi/lidl

Now that's just off the top of my head and is not a representation of all i ever eat as I mix it up quite a bit but always stays around the same price, that all added up to around £21 for 2 weeks worth of shopping. And trust me I eat ALL the time, I've even gained a little weight.

Pretty cool thanks I'm near an aldi like 30 mins walk so it's not too bad though I online shop at asda due to laziness
Original post by bittr n swt
Pretty cool thanks I'm near an aldi like 30 mins walk so it's not too bad though I online shop at asda due to laziness

Some of the asda basics range is pretty damn cool, I'm quite sad I don't live near an asda :frown: plus they are the only shop that sell my favourite whiskeys. But yeah overall aldi and lidl complete win supermarkets for price hands down.

You pay for your laziness :tongue:
Its because the decay of British values has created a culture in which people value convenience over thrift.

If you walk into Tesco you'll find 20 sausages for a pound but strawberries for 2 pound. If you go to the market you'll find 2 punnets of strawberries for a pound but few people shop around sufficiently, markets today love immigrants because they actually go for cost over convenience of shopping in one place.
I don't think that obesity is anything to do with income, you can provide a basic healthy and unhealthy diet on a low income. Instead, I think it's due to a lack of education on how to produce balance meals. I know it seems like basic common sense - "eat five a day" but you're not just going to blindly follow that advice when you could eat a tastier portion of fries instead. I once overheard someone with type two diabetes say that they bought an energy bar because it said it contained glucose which they thought was healthy, not realising it's just sugar.

I didn't even eat healthily until learning in A-Level Biology how antioxidants, prebiotics, etc... actually work. When there's such a wide array of different choices of unhealthy food available "because it's good for you" isn't going to cut it anymore.
What gym is £20/month? I pay £75 and that's the cheapest in my area!

The cheapest I had was £15 a month, but that's only because I had student discount and was 17 or under. (I also bought for months in advance)

Now though, the cheapest place to gym is like £30 a month :frown: still nothing compared to £75 though..
Original post by abbiemac
The cheapest I had was £15 a month, but that's only because I had student discount and was 17 or under. (I also bought for months in advance)

Now though, the cheapest place to gym is like £30 a month :frown: still nothing compared to £75 though..

To be fair she lives in London which kind of explains the extortionate gym price, I'm lucky in that in my city students at my university have an agreement with the local gym chain for us to use it for free. I certainly would never pay £75 a month for the gym, at that price I'd rather just go for a jog, or heck buy a second hand cross trainer for my home which in the long term would be cheaper than a few months at the gym.
To be fair she lives in London which kind of explains the extortionate gym price, I'm lucky in that in my city students at my university have an agreement with the local gym chain for us to use it for free. I certainly would never pay £75 a month for the gym, at that price I'd rather just go for a jog, or heck buy a second hand cross trainer for my home which in the long term would be cheaper than a few months at the gym.

Ah yeah that would explain it!

Yeah, I don't have to pay for the gym anymore because the one in my college is free :colondollar: I really hope it isn't extortionate prices wherever I end up at Uni!
No I'd never pay that much.. same, I'd just go outside and exercise. The fresh air wouldn't do me any harm anyway :tongue:
Ah yeah that would explain it!

Yeah, I don't have to pay for the gym anymore because the one in my college is free :colondollar: I really hope it isn't extortionate prices wherever I end up at Uni!
No I'd never pay that much.. same, I'd just go outside and exercise. The fresh air wouldn't do me any harm anyway :tongue:

Sometimes I wonder how they get away with the prices they do. And for some people it is such a waste of money paying £30+ a month when they only go once a week at most or go for a month and then stop going but they're on a 6-12 month contract :/

That's why I would never join a paid gym unless there was no contract involved because I know I will probably not stick to enough to get my money's worth or life would get too much in the way and I'd stop going.
Sometimes I wonder how they get away with the prices they do. And for some people it is such a waste of money paying £30+ a month when they only go once a week at most or go for a month and then stop going but they're on a 6-12 month contract :/

That's why I would never join a paid gym unless there was no contract involved because I know I will probably not stick to enough to get my money's worth or life would get too much in the way and I'd stop going.

Yeah, my ex paid £90 for a short membership and literally went once.. what a waste of money :confused:
I genuinely just think it was so he could say 'I have a gym membership' :biggrin:

I'd never join with a long contract, because there's a good chance I'd stop going at some point! Unless it was literally next door to me.
Yeah, my ex paid £90 for a short membership and literally went once.. what a waste of money :confused:
I genuinely just think it was so he could say 'I have a gym membership' :biggrin:

I'd never join with a long contract, because there's a good chance I'd stop going at some point! Unless it was literally next door to me.

Jesus :/ that ridiculous
Aye I no longer live right by the gym any more so I basically don't go , too much of a hassle and cost getting the bus there and back. I can do exercise for free, true the gym is more motivating but it isn't a necessity for weight loss.

I'd love to be able to go for a jog. Unfortunately in London the threat of mugging/rape/attack is way too high. That's so sad :frown: but it is. I don't feel safe jogging in any area.
I'd love to be able to go for a jog. Unfortunately in London the threat of mugging/rape/attack is way too high. That's so sad :frown: but it is. I don't feel safe jogging in any area.

Oh dear :frown: possible to do any forms of exercise in your home? aerobics? yoga?
Oh dear :frown: possible to do any forms of exercise in your home? aerobics? yoga?

Dude unfortunately I pay for the membership. I just take it as a hit. "I love in London therefore I must pay to exercise" sad though! Lol
Dude unfortunately I pay for the membership. I just take it as a hit. "I love in London therefore I must pay to exercise" sad though! Lol

Eh I can see money certainly is a sacrifice you have to make in London. No offence to your city but I would hate to live there.
Eh I can see money certainly is a sacrifice you have to make in London. No offence to your city but I would hate to live there.

I love it in sooooooo many ways, but just being able to be a woman
In a city, I HATE it. But tbf I came from the deep country side where no one locked their doors so even after being here for 6 years it's still weird x
I love it in sooooooo many ways, but just being able to be a woman
In a city, I HATE it. But tbf I came from the deep country side where no one locked their doors so even after being here for 6 years it's still weird x

Yeah I can understand that, I love cities but I definitely couldn't live somewhere that I felt unsafe or somewhere I didn't feel is worth the money.
Yeah I can understand that, I love cities but I definitely couldn't live somewhere that I felt unsafe or somewhere I didn't feel is worth the money.

It's so sad to say this but I'd feel safe if I lived with my partner but I still feel too Young and independent to do that.

But it's sad I feel like I need to live win a man to be safe. But I truly do. :-( #londonlife

Quick Reply

Latest