The Student Room Group

Overcoming cat phobia and buying a kitten

Since forever Iv always been absolutely terrified of cats
To some of you cat lovers it may seem ridiculous, and it is.
I myself find it embarassing that I freeze up and start sweating and in a way become paralysed whenever there's a cat too close to me. It's come to a point now where I bang the doors, do the central locking and get on my hands and knees to see if there's one hiding under the cars as I was told they sleep under the cars and my stupid neighbour doesn't keep a closer eye on his.
I even went to see a hypnotherapist to try and overcome this and he refunded me my money as I was the first case he couldn't resolve!
it's now not only affecting me but everyone else. I went on holiday recently and a cat was under our table and I just freaked out!!

I thought maybe if I get a cute kitten and love it and become attached to it and watch it grow into a cat maybe the fear will go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I was scared of cats after the time one scratch me down the length of my back. I was about ten, and since then decided i didn't like cats. My dad got one a couple of years ago though, so it was kinda forced upon me to be around them and now that fears gone and they're actually great, independent pets. So I'd defo say its possible to lose the fear by owning one. Of course, that was only my situation. In your case, this could go horribly wrong and you'd be left stuck with a kitten that you may never grow to like.

Too bawse for you, sir.
Original post by chidchilli
I was scared of cats after the time one scratch me down the length of my back. I was about ten, and since then decided i didn't like cats. My dad got one a couple of years ago though, so it was kinda forced upon me to be around them and now that fears gone and they're actually great, independent pets. So I'd defo say its possible to lose the fear by owning one. Of course, that was only my situation. In your case, this could go horribly wrong and you'd be left stuck with a kitten that you may never grow to like.

Too bawse for you, sir.

Found a nice Afghan and Siamese one fairly local to me. But I decided I'm going to go to the store first and see how I feel
I do think IF I get one it will come to a point where it becomes too large and I'lol want to return it or something

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Little_missy01
Found a nice Afghan and Siamese one fairly local to me. But I decided I'm going to go to the store first and see how I feel
I do think IF I get one it will come to a point where it becomes too large and I'lol want to return it or something

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha... Honestly, I dont think thats likely to happen. Cats are awesome pets but you have to have one to understand why. Yeah, defo make a few trips to the store before diving into getting a cat. Also, consider the fact that getting a kitten may not be the best idea for someone who doesnt even like cats yet. They need training and all that. If you can get an older one it may be better.

Too bawse for you, sir.
Original post by chidchilli
Haha... Honestly, I dont think thats likely to happen. Cats are awesome pets but you have to have one to understand why. Yeah, defo make a few trips to the store before diving into getting a cat. Also, consider the fact that getting a kitten may not be the best idea for someone who doesnt even like cats yet. They need training and all that. If you can get an older one it may be better.

Too bawse for you, sir.

Oh... I didn't even think of that!!!
But I will most definitely never ever get a full grown cat first !

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Little_missy01
Oh... I didn't even think of that!!!
But I will most definitely never ever get a full grown car first !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Research research research! Don't throw yourself into the unknown with no knowledge at all.
Best of Luck. :biggrin: :u:
Reply 6
The first ever cat I met, clawed my ankles and legs into bloodied stumps. (Slight over exaggeration, but lots of blood and sharp claws).

Wasn't to keen on them to start with, now I have three..

Quick Reply

Latest