The Student Room Group

income tax taken off my pay?

I have just had my first payment from my job at M&S and they have paid the right amount but my payslip is showing I have had money deducted for income tax - why is this?
Reply 1
Because:-
A) It;s the law
B You earn enough to get taxed.
Original post by Lottie_
I have just had my first payment from my job at M&S and they have paid the right amount but my payslip is showing I have had money deducted for income tax - why is this?

How many hours do you work and how much do you get paid?
If you earn under £10,000 a year then you shouldnt get taxed (which if you are a student and working part time then you are most likely going to earn under £10,000 a year).
It might be that you have been emergency taxed, as it is your first pay check, while they sort out the right tax code for you, and any tax that you have paid that you shouldnt have done will get paid back to you.
Phone the tax office on 0300 200 3300 to double check and get it sorted.
Original post by Lottie_

It probably means your tax code has not arrived from the tax office yet and your tax will therefore be deducted at an emergency rate until it does.

Unless you earn over £10,000 in the 2014/15 tax year, you will not have to pay any tax but you may need to wait a while before you get it back.

This will most likely be at the end of the tax year (April). You will still pay National Insurance though.

Check with your employer (pay accounts department) and they should let you know why.
Original post by Sonic92
A) It;s the law

How do you know they earn enough to get taxed?
Reply 5
Original post by Lottie_

Because either you have earned enough to pay tax or they do not have the correct tax details for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by uberteknik
It probably means your tax code has not arrived from the tax office yet and your tax will therefore be deducted at an emergency rate until it does.

Unless you earn over £10,000 in the 2014/15 tax year, you will not have to pay any tax but you may need to wait a while before you get it back.

This will most likely be at the end of the tax year (April)
. You will still pay National Insurance though.

Check with your employer (pay accounts department) and they should let you know why.

Usually if you phone the tax office and get it sorted, you get it back next payday.
Reply 7
you must be on the 0T (Emergency) Tax Code.

Speak to your employers and call HMRC, you'll get back the money you were overtaxed either in your next payslip or at the end of the tax year.
Reply 8
Original post by Sonic92
A) It;s the law

I do not earn enough to be taxed, I am earning £87 a week on 12 hours
Reply 9
Original post by uberteknik

This will most likely be at the end of the tax year (April). You will still pay National Insurance though.

Thank you for your help, I am in work tomorrow so I will check with them then
Original post by Lottie_
I do not earn enough to be taxed, I am earning £87 a week on 12 hours

But the taxman doesn't know that unless you tell him. They presumes that if you have a job, you work full time at it - because most people do. So based on that, everyone will pay tax. That's the default position unless you tell them otherwise or they work it out at the end of the tax year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending