The Student Room Group

Ucl vs imperial vs bath for mechanical engineering

I have offers from ucl, imperial and bath for mechanical engineering and I'm unsure about which one to firm. Which is better for getting a job in India?
Imperial's probably better internationally, Bath is on the same par as Imperial within the UK, UCL's mechanical department has an abysmal reputation so I'd try and avoid there even though it would probably give you similar prospects to Imperial on an international level.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Imperial's probably better internationally, Bath is on the same par as Imperial within the UK, UCL's mechanical department has an abysmal reputation so I'd try and avoid there even though it would probably give you similar prospects to Imperial on an international level.

Thanks, I thought ucl as more recognised internationally and hence the confusion, I might make it my insurance in that case
Original post by Amanda Brown
I have offers from ucl, imperial and bath for mechanical engineering and I'm unsure about which one to firm. Which is better for getting a job in India?

Hi,

Congratulations on the offer! I'm a first year Civil Engineer, so if you have any questions about Bath please feel free to quote me.

All three are great unis, and I'm sure they'll all put you on the right path to getting the job in India.

There are lots of different factors you could consider when deciding upon the best university. There is no set formula and people make decisions based on different things. The most important thing is that you are happy at the university you choose. In essence, you will be living and breathing the university every day, so you need to be completely happy with your choice. Often people talk about how comfortable they feel when they visit universities and whether they could see themselves living there.

You should also think about the performance of the universities. A good way to do this is to look at league tables however, don’t become too dictated by these. A good place to start might be: the complete university guide or the Guardian league tables. Another consideration is ‘student satisfaction’ which is also published in league table format. Bath generally does well in these and is the most satisfied in the UK according to the results of the 2014 National Student Survey (NSS).

Another thing that might matter to you is location (maybe you want to get away from home or stay close to home!), or accommodation (however in my opinion all student accommodation is very similar and depends more on how much you pay than the location).
These are just things that I considered when applying to university however there might be more obscure things that really matter to you. For example, one of my friends went to Cardiff University because he loves kayaking and they have a white-water canoe centre very close! Personally I think you should focus more on the factors listed above, but each person is different.

I know you asked more directly about which university will be there best to get you to India, and I expect you were talking academically. However, all are great universities and whilst you want to get into the best university you can, you need to make sure you are happy there.

I hope the advice aids you in making the right decision - I wish I could help more I was in the same situation last year, and I know how you’re feeling! Ultimately, all are very good universities and the likelihood is that you’ll be happy at any of them, but spend time thinking through the options and make sure you chose the one you think you’ll be happiest at!

I hope that my response is of some assistance to you. Apologies for its length, but I wanted to answer your questions in enough detail for you to be able to make an informed decision.

Best of luck with your decision making process and if you need any more help, please don’t hesitate to get back to me.

Rob
Hey I'm from India as well and I chose Imperial because it is known in India, is amazing for Engineering and anyone I've spoken to has said if I did well at Imperial they would give me a job interview without hesitating. India really looks at rankings and Imperial is ranked very high for engineering among other unis in the world. Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 5
Do you mind me asking where you went eventually? I would have firmed Imperial and properly insured UCL; all great universities through, you'll have great time and get a brilliant degree from Bath if you went there though.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending