The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mrlufc3131
I would be hugely surprised if those are the only blocks they will offer to at all - many firms do several batches of open days/assessment centres, so you may only originally be offered a certain set of them (with then the option, as TykeDragon said, of other dates being available, if you're unable to make the dates offered). For example, I was only offered two slots by Jones Day, but I'm sure they will still be recruiting a good number more candidates. Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks, that makes perfect sense!! I just wanted to relay the fact I was given only 2 choices and wondered what it meant :P The only apps I've sent off so far have been HSF and Macfarlanes, and so far I've been put through to all of the HSF tests, and invited to Macfarlanes :O feeling lucky!! now i've got to learn what they want to see on the assessment/interview day haha
Assessment day invite from Norton Rose Fulbright, at 11pm last night! I wonder what graduate recruitment were doing reviewing applications at that time. :tongue:

Just to tag on to what mrlufc said, just because you only get offered a couple of slots, it doesn't mean they are the only slots left! For example I've only been offered one slot by NRF but I know they're running assessment days up until mid-February (I'm their brand manager). If you e-mail firms they will often be willing to book you in on a day/time that is convenient for both you and them.

Have a good Christmas everybody!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TykeDragon
Thanks, that makes perfect sense!! I just wanted to relay the fact I was given only 2 choices and wondered what it meant :P The only apps I've sent off so far have been HSF and Macfarlanes, and so far I've been put through to all of the HSF tests, and invited to Macfarlanes :O feeling lucky!! now i've got to learn what they want to see on the assessment/interview day haha

No worries, gotcha!

That's great news, congrats - where else are you applying?

Best of luck for the assessment centres! :smile:
x

Congrats man! Have HSF started sending out assessment centre invites btw? (:

Also, merry Christmas everyone :smile::smile::smile:
Don't know about HSF assessment centre invites - I've not heard from them since I did my VR and Logic tests!

@mrlufc: I'm applying for Simmons, Ashurst, Nabarro, Baker & McKenzie, Clyde & Co, Addleshaw Goddard. May add/remove a couple, I'll see! I'm making very slow progress on Simmons for some reason :frown: do they do an online test between app and interview, or is that just for TC?

Got no idea what to expect and how to excel on the macfarlanes day, i've got no experience of this - got a lot of prep to do!
Reply 645
Don't know about HSF assessment centre invites - I've not heard from them since I did my VR and Logic tests!

@mrlufc: I'm applying for Simmons, Ashurst, Nabarro, Baker & McKenzie, Clyde & Co, Addleshaw Goddard. May add/remove a couple, I'll see! I'm making very slow progress on Simmons for some reason :frown: do they do an online test between app and interview, or is that just for TC?

Got no idea what to expect and how to excel on the macfarlanes day, i've got no experience of this - got a lot of prep to do!

Simmons Simmons never sent me an online test, so I don't think they send one.
Offer from slaughter and may to be a partner (first year undergrad at london metropolitan studying crafts)
on a serious note has anyone heard anything from slaughter's easter scheme
Reply 648
Original post by ap28
Hate to be messaging on Christmas Day but... does anyone know which law firms bar you from applying for a TC in the same year if you arnt successful for their vac scheme? I'm talking about Hill Dickinson, Irwin Mitchell and Fieldfisher in particular. Is there any other way of finding out or should I just call the firms and ask?

They sometimes say it on their website, but I find it better to connect with the HR on the phone. I find that many firms also appreciate as it shows interest in the firm! But other people might disagree with me.
Original post by That Was So Funny!
on a serious note has anyone heard anything from slaughter's easter scheme

Have applied and haven't heard anything as of yet, hopefully we will hear soon!
Reply 650
Original post by mcrlawstudent
Have applied and haven't heard anything as of yet, hopefully we will hear soon!

Do you guys know if Slaughter and May replies after the deadline closes? I don't want to apply if all places have been filled and I feel like a few people have already been offered places.
Reply 651
Original post by roro123
They sometimes say it on their website, but I find it better to connect with the HR on the phone. I find that many firms also appreciate as it shows interest in the firm! But other people might disagree with me.

Thanks for the reply. I cant seem to find anything on their website so will probably just call HR next week
Has anyone who has applied to Cleary Gottlieb's summer scheme received a receipt or acknowledgement email? It'd be nice to be assured that they've actually received my application!
Original post by roro123
Do you guys know if Slaughter and May replies after the deadline closes? I don't want to apply if all places have been filled and I feel like a few people have already been offered places.

Applications have already closed for the Easter scheme.

With regards to the Summer scheme, I'm not sure if they recruit rolling. My gut instinct is to say that they don't but I'm not 100% certain. Sorry!

Original post by mintaddiction
Has anyone who has applied to Cleary Gottlieb's summer scheme received a receipt or acknowledgement email? It'd be nice to be assured that they've actually received my application!

Have applied for the Easter scheme and I have heard nothing. I heard a rumour that they're very traditional and send out interview invites/rejections by post. :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by roro123

If it's for the summer scheme, I already got an interview invite last week, so I hope that helps :smile:
Has anyone heard from Linklaters for their Easter scheme? My application still says it is under review. Do they normally send out rejections by email?
Has anybody heard from Linklaters for their Easter scheme. My application still says under review. Does anyone know if they will send a rejection?
On Vac Scheme application is it common to ask for a cover letter aswell as to answer a number of questions? The one I'm working on now does ask for a cover letter even though they asked a number of questions...what should I include in the cover letter? Sorry for so many questions, I haven't done a vac scheme application before!
Hi everyone,

I have an assessment day at Macfarlanes on the 6th Jan. It states that there will be a group exercise, a written exercise and a partner interview. Although this appears similar to most other assessment days that I have done, has anyone got any specific advice relating to the Macfarlanes one? Has anyone done one before?

Thanks very much for your help.
Original post by Swimmer
On Vac Scheme application is it common to ask for a cover letter aswell as to answer a number of questions? The one I'm working on now does ask for a cover letter even though they asked a number of questions...what should I include in the cover letter? Sorry for so many questions, I haven't done a vac scheme application before!

The Macfarlanes application asked for a cover letter as well as numerous questions.

I tried to provide a brief description of my relevant experience and skills that would help me be a success at Macfarlanes without providing the detail that I gave in the other questions.

Try to avoid repeating too much information that you have previously given as it's redundant and I'd imagine it's rather frustrating for the reader.

I focused on:

1) Why do you want to work at the firm?
2) What makes you a good choice?

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending