The Student Room Group

WHY GCSE's are MORE IMPORTANT than A-LEVELS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CheetahCurtis
You "found this really interesting blog post"... I'm guessing you wrote it.

Haha, yes. I wrote it .
I have no idea why I wrote that!
Did **** in my GCSEs and still doing well for myself. Jobs care not for GCSEs tbh.
Original post by Anonynous
Did **** in my GCSEs and still doing well for myself. Jobs care not for GCSEs tbh.

This is for the next generation of kids - those who have yet to do their GCSEs.
Original post by Tau
It might not happen if Labour win the next election.

Talking to my various parliamentary labour mates, Labour aren't fussed. If it's far enough gone, and that looks likely, they'll run with it. Even if it isn't they'll impose changes, they've pretty much disowned Curriculum 2000 now as a failure.
Reply 24

I'm Really talking about people who want to apply to university.
Reply 25
Original post by Le Nombre
Talking to my various parliamentary labour mates, Labour aren't fussed. If it's far enough gone, and that looks likely, they'll run with it. Even if it isn't they'll impose changes, they've pretty much disowned Curriculum 2000 now as a failure.

But why do they see it as a failure ? What was wrong with it?
Original post by YounesB
I'm Really talking about people who want to apply to university.

I'm currently at university.
Reply 27
I'm currently at university.

If you read tte blog. I'm referring to students who are starting a levels in 2015 September.
Reply 28
Original post by YounesB
Do you think that strategy will be employed by all the uni's? It sounds like a good idea - a little bit of a time water but a good idea.

Original post by diana99
Universities will look at you gcses or predicted a level grades to determine whether you'll get an offer. This is because you wouldn't have done any exams at the end of year 12 as you will do all of then at the end of yr 13:yep::yep:

Therefore your GCSE's are REALLY important and there is now more pressure to do well in them.:yep::yep:

I'm in year 11 btw:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

When's the 'no AS exam' coming into place?
Reply 29
Original post by naxiv

There are AS exams but they are useless if you want to take a full a level as they do not go towards the final grade.
As exams will have a stand alone qualification.

This change will begin the follow September.
Original post by YounesB
But why do they see it as a failure ? What was wrong with it?

Too little content for both Labour and the Tories, 5 terms of content is inevitably reduced to 4 by the need for exams in the 3rd term of Year 12.

For the Tories as well, just not hard enough, insufficient pressure. Inevitably doing all your exams in one 2 week period and retaining content for a long time after it's actually been taught to you is more difficult.
Reply 31
Original post by Le Nombre
Too little content for both Labour and the Tories, 5 terms of content is inevitably reduced to 4 by the need for exams in the 3rd term of Year 12.

For the Tories as well, just not hard enough, insufficient pressure. Inevitably doing all your exams in one 2 week period and retaining content for a long time after it's actually been taught to you is more difficult.

But surely it just becomes a memory game just like GCSE's are. Oh well, If most our teachers survived it, I'm sure we can too.
Original post by YounesB
But surely it just becomes a memory game just like GCSE's are. Oh well, If most our teachers survived it, I'm sure we can too.

I suppose the argument is that the deeper the content the more you have to think about it.

Every exam you do is a memory game though, as are many of the jobs people on here are gunning for. I went to Oxbridge, yeah we had to think but the base was still made up of just knowing lots of law (or history or physics or whatever).
Reply 33
Original post by naxiv

They take place in September 2015 :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by YounesB
Thanks (:

what do you think of the blog ? www.journeytomedicine.com

It's a bit annoying because the universities that we would like to go to will be looking at our GCSE's this means that there is so much pressure on our GCSE'S now!!:erm::erm::no:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by diana99
It's a bit annoying because the universities that we would like to go to will be looking at our GCSE's this means that there is so much pressure on our GCSE'S now!!:erm::erm::no:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly right, get revising!
Reply 37

Yeah you can get into Ox with 3Cs at A2 & 10A*s
Reply 38
Original post by naxiv

Haha! When I say GCSE's are more important than A-levels:

1) It's a slight exaggeration - I'm just trying to get across the message that GCSE's will become more important

2) GCSE's could potentially become more important than A-levels simply because you wont have any A-level (AS) grades at the time of applying

Hope that clears everything up;
Original post by naxiv

You used to be able to do this, Oxbridge gave unconditionals to those who smashed up the entrance exam and interviews.

A very senior QC was recently regaling us with stories have his uni dai chasing girls and getting smashed with the rugby boys, his comment was 'but what did they expect from a chap with CCD at A Level?'. Though he did get a First there.

Quick Reply

Latest