The Student Room Group

Rent payment issue

Hi, basically the issue isn't huge but I'm slightly worried about what can be done in between.

I have been paying my rent on the 27th of each month however I'm unable to afford this upcoming rent payment. I asked my landlord if I could defer the payment until the 5th of January to which I received a rude response basically saying it was an unreasonable request. Can I receive any charges etc or will the majority be empty threats as I've already been warned that "I am liable to charge £25 for late rent to your gaurantor." Which I'm pretty sure isn't allowed.
What does it say in your contract?
Reply 2
I haven't got a copy of the contract with me at the moment and won't do until the 28th as I'm not at my student house. I just want to know in most cases what will happen as a result of deferring payment by one week.
Not paying your rent on the date agreed is breach of contract.
Reply 4
I'm well aware of this, what action can be taken against me in the week between it's due and the day I am able to pay it back.
Reply 5
Also would the gaurantor be called in to pay the arrear even though it is only a week delay?
Original post by Wallq
Also would the gaurantor be called in to pay the arrear even though it is only a week delay?

I have done in the past.
Reply 7
Original post by Wallq
I haven't got a copy of the contract with me at the moment and won't do until the 28th as I'm not at my student house. I just want to know in most cases what will happen as a result of deferring payment by one week.

You need your contact. You can be charged, depending on what it says

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I'm okay paying a charge because it's my fault it's late. I just don't want it to have to get complicated between myself and the guarantor with having to pay them back instead.
Just so you know your landlord cant do anything for a good three weeks. Other then send a letter saying sort it out.

Yeh they can add on admin charges. But a straight £25. errrrr. No. Loss due to inflation and costs such as writing letters yes. But these are actual costs not one that has been plucked out of the air. It has to say this on your tenancy agreement. Even if it does say £25. Its utterly unreasonable and thus contestable.

Pay your rent when you can and don't worry about it.
Reply 10
Original post by Wallq

The question you should have asked was:

Will my landlord be so desperate for a sum of under £100 to take your guarantor to court and go through all the legal proceedings?

The answer is: very unlikely.
Reply 11
Original post by Sam Walters
Just so you know your landlord cant do anything for a good three weeks. Other then send a letter saying sort it out.

Not true

Yeh they can add on admin charges. But a straight £25. errrrr. No. Loss due to inflation and costs such as writing letters yes. But these are actual costs not one that has been plucked out of the air. It has to say this on your tenancy agreement. Even if it does say £25. Its utterly unreasonable and thus contestable.

This however is spot on. The tenancy deposit scheme have specifically stated that all charges must be reasonable and reflecting the actual cost incurred. Flat rates of "£25 a day" are unlikely to be considered as such and thus are unenforceable. The more reasonable estimate would be £5 per letter written and an APR of 7% charged to the missing rent payment.
Original post by Reue
Not true

There is what happens through the technicalities of law. Then there is what actually happens. :smile:
Reply 13
There is what happens through the technicalities of law. Then there is what actually happens. :smile:

Either way: A set time period of 3 weeks is inapplicable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending