The Student Room Group

Are Atheist women put off by guys who are religious?

I'm Catholic. I usberstand that might be weird for some girls (for some reason) probably because you're scared your lifestyle may be exposed or something? Or that religious men are all crazy etc.

How would you feel about dating a Catholic then?

Scroll to see replies

As a guy I can tell you it really depends on the country and culture of where the women come from. For example a British-born atheist woman wouldn't randomly wander into a relationship with a Muslim guy, but they are more likely to get involved with someone who's Christian. Now, I'm not religious, but I do have a religious forename; so whenever I mention my name (I usually say my nickname which doesn't hold the religious connotations) and my bla bla atheistic views which usually resolves the problem.
I think in many cases a romantic relationship between a 'devout' Catholic and an atheist would be foolish. You are both expecting different things from a relationship, what the relationship is and means is different for each person and it's unfair on both of you.

I admit I'm not really answering your question
A catholic is like the least strict form of Christianity imo. I think Protestants are much more deep and could potentially scare away athiests.
To be honest it is disappointing when I find out someone I like is religious but I wouldn't mind dating someone who isn't too strictly religious..
Not at all. If they can accept my views and not want to change my beliefs then I'm cool with them.

I've yet to have the religion talk with my boyfriend. I'm a Bengali atheist, he's a Pakistani Muslim. I used to be a Muslim. From what I know about him and what I've noticed about him, he seems to be too afraid or set in his ways to come out of the religion closet and out himself as a non-muslim.

I wouldn't be fussed about dating a Catholic. Religion doesn't make a difference in the way I view a person unless that person tries to shove it in my face.
I'm an atheist, and I wouldn't mind if someone was religious. Everyone has their own beliefs, and whilst I might not agree personally with their views it wouldn't matter to me romantically.

The only deal breaker would be if my partner tried to force their religious beliefs upon me.
Reply 7
Original post by bittr n swt
A catholic is like the least strict form of Christianity imo. I think Protestants are much more deep and could potentially scare away athiests.

Last time I checked I thought Catholicism was pretty deep relative to the Anglican side of things? "Or am I wrong" (keep thinking of the song)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Totally flaccid.
Original post by abbiemac
I'm an atheist, and I wouldn't mind if someone was religious. Everyone has their own beliefs, and whilst I might not agree personally with their views it wouldn't matter to me romantically.

The only deal breaker would be if my partner tried to force their religious beliefs upon me.

What if they were a pastafarian?
Original post by High Stakes
What if they were a pastafarian?

Well then at least we'd have interesting conversations :biggrin:
As long as my partner can handle the fact that I don't want children, I am and will continue to take a contraceptive, I will not go Church or for another religious service (except for a Christening or Wedding etc.) and that anything short of solid evidence will not make me believe in God, that's fine.
I also fancy women, so they can't be anti-gay either.
Reply 12
^ this a lot
but personally? nah I probably wouldn't date someone like that.
Original post by Tom102
Last time I checked I thought Catholicism was pretty deep relative to the Anglican side of things? "Or am I wrong" (keep thinking of the song)

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the UK protestants are far more liberal.
Very much so. To me it would indicate a strong lack of compatibility in our beliefs and ideaologies.

And I have a particular objection towards the hypocrisy of the Catholic faith.
As a male atheist I think the furthest i'd deviate from atheism would be church of england, as it's an almost agnostic religion, or buddhism/jainism as they lack a god. But then only if they were more or less disinterested in religion. If they insisted on arbitrary religious rules as opposed to simple actionless beliefs then I don't think I could deal with it.
It depends who is trying to ram what down whose throat.
I would prefer if the guy wasn't religious, and I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with a guy who was influenced by strong faith as cruel as it sounds. I think if anything, perhaps a Protestant but most likely no other religion.
Reply 18
Original post by Meyrin
Very much so. To me it would indicate a strong lack of compatibility in our beliefs and ideaologies.

This.

Edit: And for me, it's not a belief thing. It's an intelligence thing. I need to be able to respect my partner's beliefs. I can't respect religion.
I am atheist and yeah, it would turn me off and personally I wouldn't consider dating anyone religious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending