The Student Room Group

Most of the Black protests in America dont make sense

Why do we keep promoting violence when the truth is right in front of us?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ekemini
Why do we keep promoting violence when the truth is right in front of us?

Have you been on the brandy?
Reply 2
Original post by MatureStudent36

Or babycham
Reply 3
Original post by MatureStudent36

No I am not on brandy. The protest ignited by Antonios death doesn't make sense. The guy was holding a gun, the cop acted on instinct. The way blacks are protesting make it look like its all about race when it Is not.
In that case maybe he was holding a gun, but the protests are over the another kid and this only angered them further and mainly due to fact that disproportionate amount of black people are killed by cops, and not all of the people killed were bad people, Google it and also Google it to find loads of evidence of brutality.
Black peoples mindset is the issue here. I think some black people are often obsessed with race.

These types seem to mention race in the most ridiculous situations at times for no apparent reason. I think most vocal blacks are also quite harsh people and very volatile in situations like these.

Look how the Aussies reacted to the Cafe Hostage issue, with understanding. I just think Black America can have a twisted sense of justice at times.
Reply 6
Original post by Guren
In that case maybe he was holding a gun, but the protests are over the another kid and this only angered them further and mainly due to fact that disproportionate amount of black people are killed by cops, and not all of the people killed were bad people, Google it and also Google it to find loads of evidence of brutality.

I understand. But maybe I am just starving for some peace and understanding between the races that's all. Most of the anger is still from Micheals case, I agree. But truly it cant be compared to antonios case.
Reply 7
Original post by Catholic_
Black peoples mindset is the issue here. I think some black people are often obsessed with race.

These types seem to mention race in the most ridiculous situations at times for no apparent reason. I think most vocal blacks are also quite harsh people and very volatile in situations like these.

Look how the Aussies reacted to the Cafe Hostage issue, with understanding. I just think Black America can have a twisted sense of justice at times.

Thank you!!!. Those were just the words I was looking for. Their mindset about race needs to change. They think they are entitled the respect because their ancestors were enslaved. I also the most vocal blacks are rascists themselves
So much better if we all had our own countries then we wouldn't have racism.Black neighbourhoods, black police.That's the way it was meant to be, but they have us believe it's racism when it's really what's best for us.
Not all 'vocal' black people are like this! Just putting that out there.
Original post by Volksmoord
So much better if we all had our own countries then we wouldn't have racism.Black neighbourhoods, black police.That's the way it was meant to be, but they have us believe it's racism when it's really what's best for us.

Quite an extreme view. Lol
History has proved 'equal but seperate' doesn't work
Reply 11
Original post by Volksmoord

This isn't how it should be. We need to learn how to coexist peacefully.
Reply 12
Original post by Crystalz
Not all 'vocal' black people are like this! Just putting that out there.

I know. Sowwy!
Original post by Guren

The kid who tried to grab the gun off the policeman?
My five cents.

Wtf am I reading? Own countries? Unfortunately that ideology was slashed when the majority of Western White males decided to try and colonise the rest of the world. That comes before the slave trade, but I shan't dawdle on that.You'll find the fact of race comes into a lot of things...

I agree, considering the circumstances the Antonio Martin case does not appear to be directly due to race but a fellow TSR member suggested; the protests were stirred due to similar previous cases and the indisputable frequency of POC youth being killed by officers. instead of safely arrested as opposed to how the police force would handle a similar situation for a non-POC; that is.

The majority of people who are incensed by this event are not trying to prove that the 18year old was 'innocent' or was not holding a gun; they are highlighting the stark differences between his treatment and those of Non-poc youth. Nonetheless, the fact that the media are forcing family members to prove the innocence of their dead teenager as if only then they have a right to life is laughable. in the case of Mike brown, petty crimes (unrelated to the event where he died) were circulated around him in order to portray him a negative life as if to highlight he somewhat deserved to die or his death was justified for the fact that his previous offences make him a bad'un. I believe media situations like this are pretty common surrounding incidents involving the death of a POC. For instance ,in the case of Tamir Rice, the media were so eager to portray him as a 'young man' instead of the 12 year old he was. On top of this, information concerning is family background was released, inappropriate considering that in context it appeared as an attempt to justify the death of a 12 year old child.

Believe me, it's far easier to ignore and dismiss references to race as playing the 'race card'. Race is an uncomfortable topic, and I totally understand the annoyance of it seemingly being a central topic of nearly every current event. Why can't we just shut up about race and not speak about it? Why can't people just ignore race and take a "I don't see race" stance. Poc are not discriminated against so much that they cannot go about their live. Perhaps some things will always be how they are. Look how far discrimination has been reduced and how many organisation and bills have been passed to ensure equal opportunities for all. This is all true, to some extent. It's so easy for me to not talk about race. I'd rather not, and yet look at how much I have to say. Look at how much there is to say. Just because things are somewhat satisfactory, doesn't mean we shouldn't keep striving for improvement. For a better world, one with progressively less and less injustice.

Just because it's easy to not talk about it and actually find that you don't necessarily have to, doesn't mean this is what we should do. There are people who feel even more strongly about this than I do, and that is believable considering I am pretty much the embodiment of apathy. I can ignore it, I can ignore it to the extent that I think "wow, what ridiculous race fuss for nothing" but it doesn't make it okay. The more informed you allow yourself to become, the more political anger you yield. Let the people use it progressively. The system is inherently flawed, and unjust. Things that should be so like equality are not so. Don't rebuke people for trying to obtain the civil rights they should be entitled too.

It's a shame I have to stress my dual heritage in order to convey myself as other than another 'unnecessarily' angry black American youth. I live in England. My father is black African and my mother is white Italian, that indeed makes me mixed race.( For those who may comment that i assuming that I had to, I apologise for feeling the need to assume this.)

Please don't be put off my the video title; but please view this video : http://youtu.be/dw_mRaIHb-M

Peace, love, empathy;
From,
Perhaps just a 'I think I know it all' 16 year old girl. Or maybe, just possibly a 16 year old who is worried about the discrimination still so ever heavily present, specifically in relation to said cases but also in the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
i think people who protest often just join in and the minority actually believe in the cause for example here in the uk in 2011 there were riots and people stole but majority did it to get free stuff not for justice for mark duggan. sad really...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
i'm in two minds about it.

on one side i see the problems black america face. there is almost a race war against them.
if you look at how they were treated after civil rights.
there has been a constant fear that blacks would take away jobs from white working class americans.
any black unity orginisation that made ground got the full frontal attack of the american government
the cia sold crack to the black gangs to pump into their community
the black schools were so bad that they had to introduce bussing which was a huge failure and caused more violence.
black people have constantly been targets by the state for medical testing.
as soon as black people had the right to vote the prisons became full of them.
many of the projects have been built in such away that business is unlikely to flourish there.
the welfare system is largely designed to keep you on welfare.
social services and family councilling is basically non existant in america and therefore healing the black commuinty from much of the social depravation they live in is very difficult.
not only this but rap made for white kids to buy influences a culture of black violence and gang activity.
the police force in america has been racist for a very long time and bad corrupt things happen regularly to everyone but especially black people. it wasn't long ago that i saw a video of a cop so stupid he was caught planting drugs on a black guy. but he was caught from the camera on his own car...
not only that but im white and even i feel kinda shook of american police. there very much is an feeling that they are a law unto themselves. that is quite scary.

on the other side i think
ok america is a crazy place. people, citizens, have guns.
the black community has been at war with the police for a long time. and even if you don't want to fight black people when you join the police. black people will want to fight you. not all. but some.
some of the gang issues that bloods and crips have made is insane. you literally have kids murdering kids and grown adults.
and when cops have to deal with this

i can understand why they are so jumpy

america is full of guns and quick draw situations. violent people with a violent police force.

sad thing is more black people are killing black people than anyone.

and in a situation where someone big enough to kill you is running at you and you are by yourself in an area known for anti police gang activity would you really not shoot?

now when i first heard of the ferguson case i assumed it was probably another oscar grant situation. so i was on the side of the protestors.

then when i saw the cctv footage i did think maybe the protestors are wrong.

then i heard the cops testimony in court and again i changed my mind.

with ferguson im not sure what happened. its not a trayvon martin case. but i think thats what people are making it to be.

but for some reason this ferguson thing as gone big. n i dont get it.

there is a part of me that things maybe its just because its shared.
what i mean by that is. you may be pissed off about a load of different issues outside of ferguson. but are hopping on ferguson cuz the people protesting sympathies with your cause.

so maybe you think ferguson is b.s. but you wanted to riot for travyon, oscar grant, eric garner, jena six, mumia abu jamal etc... so maybe thats it.

i mean the 12 year old who was shot as well. when i first herd of that i thought ok... really... why would you give you child a toy gun. when black people are getting shot unarmed. and i thought ye ok kids in america do have guns and aparantly the kid went to reach for the toy when the police told him hands up.

so i thought ok police didnt exactly do anything strange here. its sad. but nothing unusual to the response.

but then i saw the cctv footage. and they shot the child before they even got out the cari do think the police were in the wrong.

now i would say it would be better if black people had a sort of militia.

but the thing is those got smashed by cointelpro years ago.

so really i think the idiots on the front line burning cars is really all there is to do left.
Original post by Dariaandahsfan
My five cents.

Wtf am I reading? Own countries? Unfortunately that ideology was slashed when the majority of Western White males decided to try and colonise the rest of the world. That comes before the slave trade, but I shan't dawdle on that.You'll find the fact of race comes into a lot of things...

I agree, considering the circumstances the Antonio Martin case does not appear to be directly due to race but a fellow TSR member suggested; the protests were stirred due to similar previous cases and the indisputable frequency of POC youth being killed by officers. instead of safely arrested as opposed to how the police force would handle a similar situation for a non-POC; that is.

The majority of people who are incensed by this event are not trying to prove that the 18year old was 'innocent' or was not holding a gun; they are highlighting the stark differences between his treatment and those of Non-poc youth. Nonetheless, the fact that the media are forcing family members to prove the innocence of their dead teenager as if only then they have a right to life is laughable. in the case of Mike brown, petty crimes (unrelated to the event where he died) were circulated around him in order to portray him a negative life as if to highlight he somewhat deserved to die or his death was justified for the fact that his previous offences make him a bad'un. I believe media situations like this are pretty common surrounding incidents involving the death of a POC. For instance ,in the case of Tamir Rice, the media were so eager to portray him as a 'young man' instead of the 12 year old he was. On top of this, information concerning is family background was released, inappropriate considering that in context it appeared as an attempt to justify the death of a 12 year old child.

Believe me, it's far easier to ignore and dismiss references to race as playing the 'race card'. Race is an uncomfortable topic, and I totally understand the annoyance of it seemingly being a central topic of nearly every current event. Why can't we just shut up about race and not speak about it? Why can't people just ignore race and take a "I don't see race" stance. Poc are not discriminated against so much that they cannot go about their live. Perhaps some things will always be how they are. Look how far discrimination has been reduced and how many organisation and bills have been passed to ensure equal opportunities for all. This is all true, to some extent. It's so easy for me to not talk about race. I'd rather not, and yet look at how much I have to say. Look at how much there is to say. Just because things are somewhat satisfactory, doesn't mean we shouldn't keep striving for improvement. For a better world, one with progressively less and less injustice.

Just because it's easy to not talk about it and actually find that you don't necessarily have to, doesn't mean this is what we should do. There are people who feel even more strongly about this than I do, and that is believable considering I am pretty much the embodiment of apathy. I can ignore it, I can ignore it to the extent that I think "wow, what ridiculous race fuss for nothing" but it doesn't make it okay. The more informed you allow yourself to become, the more political anger you yield. Let the people use it progressively. The system is inherently flawed, and unjust. Things that should be so like equality are not so. Don't rebuke people for trying to obtain the civil rights they should be entitled too.

It's a shame I have to stress my dual heritage in order to convey myself as other than another 'unnecessarily' angry black American youth. I live in England. My father is black African and my mother is white Italian, that indeed makes me mixed race.( For those who may comment that i assuming that I had to, I apologise for feeling the need to assume this.)

Please don't be put off my the video title; but please view this video : http://youtu.be/dw_mRaIHb-M

Peace, love, empathy;
From,
Perhaps just a 'I think I know it all' 16 year old girl. Or maybe, just possibly a 16 year old who is worried about the discrimination still so ever heavily present, specifically in relation to said cases but also in the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Couldn't have been said better!
Original post by Mick.w
i'm in two minds about it.

on one side i see the problems black america face. there is almost a race war against them.
if you look at how they were treated after civil rights.
there has been a constant fear that blacks would take away jobs from white working class americans.
any black unity orginisation that made ground got the full frontal attack of the american government
the cia sold crack to the black gangs to pump into their community
the black schools were so bad that they had to introduce bussing which was a huge failure and caused more violence.
black people have constantly been targets by the state for medical testing.
as soon as black people had the right to vote the prisons became full of them.
many of the projects have been built in such away that business is unlikely to flourish there.
the welfare system is largely designed to keep you on welfare.
social services and family councilling is basically non existant in america and therefore healing the black commuinty from much of the social depravation they live in is very difficult.
not only this but rap made for white kids to buy influences a culture of black violence and gang activity.
the police force in america has been racist for a very long time and bad corrupt things happen regularly to everyone but especially black people. it wasn't long ago that i saw a video of a cop so stupid he was caught planting drugs on a black guy. but he was caught from the camera on his own car...
not only that but im white and even i feel kinda shook of american police. there very much is an feeling that they are a law unto themselves. that is quite scary.

on the other side i think
ok america is a crazy place. people, citizens, have guns.
the black community has been at war with the police for a long time. and even if you don't want to fight black people when you join the police. black people will want to fight you. not all. but some.
some of the gang issues that bloods and crips have made is insane. you literally have kids murdering kids and grown adults.
and when cops have to deal with this

i can understand why they are so jumpy

america is full of guns and quick draw situations. violent people with a violent police force.

sad thing is more black people are killing black people than anyone.

and in a situation where someone big enough to kill you is running at you and you are by yourself in an area known for anti police gang activity would you really not shoot?

now when i first heard of the ferguson case i assumed it was probably another oscar grant situation. so i was on the side of the protestors.

then when i saw the cctv footage i did think maybe the protestors are wrong.

then i heard the cops testimony in court and again i changed my mind.

with ferguson im not sure what happened. its not a trayvon martin case. but i think thats what people are making it to be.

but for some reason this ferguson thing as gone big. n i dont get it.

there is a part of me that things maybe its just because its shared.
what i mean by that is. you may be pissed off about a load of different issues outside of ferguson. but are hopping on ferguson cuz the people protesting sympathies with your cause.

so maybe you think ferguson is b.s. but you wanted to riot for travyon, oscar grant, eric garner, jena six, mumia abu jamal etc... so maybe thats it.

i mean the 12 year old who was shot as well. when i first herd of that i thought ok... really... why would you give you child a toy gun. when black people are getting shot unarmed. and i thought ye ok kids in america do have guns and aparantly the kid went to reach for the toy when the police told him hands up.

so i thought ok police didnt exactly do anything strange here. its sad. but nothing unusual to the response.

but then i saw the cctv footage. and they shot the child before they even got out the cari do think the police were in the wrong.

now i would say it would be better if black people had a sort of militia.

but the thing is those got smashed by cointelpro years ago.

so really i think the idiots on the front line burning cars is really all there is to do left.

I agree with a lot of the things you have brought forth (to an extent.) The gun laws in America continued to astound me. Some people use this fact as an excuse to justify the discrimination of POC by the authorities. Yet it is clearly not sufficient. The Uk has discrimination, it is safe to say that the gun laws in America only serve to exemplify a whole range of problems. With that said, the fact that the usa is bigger or has more POC or the gun laws are hella stupid shouldn't be used an excuse to allow the discrimination of POC. I will not elaborate on instances in the Uk , though, as that is not the concern of the topic"

Some of your points I would just like to adjust slightly to accommodate the wider picture. Though it's true that currently more black people are killed by black people this is the case of all if not the large majority of races. More White people are killed by white people and so on. This fact isn't relevant at all to the case of a white officer killing a black youth.

Black people are documented to have killed other black people. Just like how white people kill white people. With the difference, though, in these two cases the victim receives justice considering the fact that the defendant in connection to the case is usually prosecuted accordingly. A white officer will usually be prosecuted for an unlawful killing of a white youth. A black officer will usually be prosecuted for an unlawful killing of a black youth, or any other race youth.

If a black officer were to kill a white (black or any other POC ) they will be tried and prosecuted. This is often not the case for the White officer killing a POC. And you must remember we are talking about people in authority here, officers. Not just the common murderer, though even they are tried.

And for anyone who comments on my 'usually', yes that is because other factors get in the way of the law though it shouldn't be the case. And regardless of this 'usually' it is a far better instance than the 'hardly ever' prosecution of white officers due to their killing of a POC.

In reference to the child having a gun. True, in an ideal word he probably shouldn't have had a toy gun. Yet, there are instances of white children found in possession of a toy gun in public situations, and the measures taken proved a stark difference to that of Tamir rice's. Furthermore, whilst I agree with your point that some people, some black people even ,will exploit the situation of Ferguson and other racial events I do not believe this is a sufficient point to dismiss the protests as unnecessary and fake. People have to learn that like white people, a couple of black people who may be using the situation do not stand for the whole black population. Just because some are abusing the protests does not reduce the important reason behind the protests.

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Crystalz
Couldn't have been said better!

I wish others will see it as you do!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending