The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gingerbread101
:h:

I know a couple of my friends had their birthdays on a GCSE exam, it wasn't nice :tongue: You will still have a nice day though :yep:

My GCSEs are in physics, chemistry and biology, though whichever way you think of it you still do the same units :smile:

It is tricky with both of them (even trickier with English language on top :rolleyes:), but it is perfectly manageable. I saw one of your other posts about people saying you're too intelligent to take anything other than STEM subjects and that they won't lead anywhere... Well I got some of the highest GSCE grades in my school for both sciences and humanities, and if you're intelligent then anything will lead you to high places- taking humanities could get you into a top law firm, where you could end up as a car mechanic the other way.. It's not set in stone either way :smile:

Errrr, I know maths is edexel, history is OCR and I have a feeling lit and language are both AQA :smile:

Omg that is amazing what you have in your common room! We have like office tables and chairs, the best thing is the coffee machine xD

Hope you've had a great Christmas :biggrin:

My friend has a p7 and further maths level 2 calculator (I think) on his birthday. Best of all, they clash!

Yay ocr and aqa!
Original post by Jitesh
My friend has a p7 and further maths level 2 calculator (I think) on his birthday. Best of all, they clash!

Yay ocr and aqa!

Ouch, I had a few clashing ones on my first day of GCSEs :tongue:

AQA is the best, that's what most of mine were for GCSE

Spoiler

Ouch, I had a few clashing ones on my first day of GCSEs :tongue:

AQA is the best, that's what most of mine were for GCSE

Spoiler

Is there really a better exam board?

I mean, the subject seems to vary little on exam board to exam board.

And the little variation I've seen from past papers or exam structure seems to not show a trend in exam boards being better

But saying that I'm only year 11

How was your Christmas? :smile:

EDIT: just saw you spoiler and I'm angry with Aqa to because they removed the old history spec b past papers, Although the exams won't be changing much for my spec.

Arr
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jitesh
Is there really a better exam board?

I mean, the subject seems to vary little on exam board to exam board.

And the little variation I've seen from past papers or exam structure seems to not show a trend in exam boards being better

But saying that I'm only year 11

How was your Christmas? :smile:

EDIT: just saw you spoiler and I'm angry with Aqa to because they removed the old history spec b past papers, Although the exams won't be changing much for my spec.

Arr

They all have different strengths and weaknesses, and vary with the direction their content goes (especially with sciences, one could be more theoretical based and the other more practical), and with things like history they ask for different ways to structure answers etc so it is personal preference :tongue:

When they remove past papers it can be annoying, although I think all exam boards do it :s your teachers will probably have hard copies in a store room if you ask nicely :tongue:

I had a lovely Christmas thanks :h: you?
Hey all! Hope you all had an amazing Christmas! :biggrin:
anyone else having mocks in january and cant get themselves to do any revision :/?
They all have different strengths and weaknesses, and vary with the direction their content goes (especially with sciences, one could be more theoretical based and the other more practical), and with things like history they ask for different ways to structure answers etc so it is personal preference :tongue:

When they remove past papers it can be annoying, although I think all exam boards do it :s your teachers will probably have hard copies in a store room if you ask nicely :tongue:

I had a lovely Christmas thanks :h: you?

Yeah they probably do, I'll get a hold of them once I finish my mocks hopefully, my g&t teacher is head of the History department

Yeah it was excellent! Main prezzie was an ipad
Hey guys! Only posted on here once before! Just wondering if there is anyone on here, currently year 11 who are wanting to study medicine in university?😝
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
Hey guys! Only posted on here once before! Just wondering if there is anyone on here, currently year 11 who are wanting to study medicine in university?������

I do! Where would you like to go?
Original post by sunnyrays07
I do! Where would you like to go?

Awesome! I want to apply to Cardiff, Liverpool, UCL and SGUL. How about you? How are your GCSEs looking, as in, what do you think you'll get? Think I'll get 9A*s 1A and 1B.
Great! I would like to apply to Cambridge, UCL, Durham and maybe Southampton but I wasn't sure if Barts was a better option to get into? It also depends on how well I do in my UKCAT and BMAT exams.
I hope to get 10A*s and 1A but I 've asked for extra help in Geography to get it up to 11A*s :smile:
Have you applied for Work Experience yet?
Original post by frostyy
anyone else having mocks in january and cant get themselves to do any revision :/?

It's hard to get into revision. I've started revising more after my mocks than before (which doesn't help)!
Great! I would like to apply to Cambridge, UCL, Durham and maybe Southampton but I wasn't sure if Barts was a better option to get into? It also depends on how well I do in my UKCAT and BMAT exams.
I hope to get 10A*s and 1A but I 've asked for extra help in Geography to get it up to 11A*s :smile:
Have you applied for Work Experience yet?

Well done! Those stats are really good! Definitely got a sting chance of not just being thrown in the 1-2A* pile then:wink: I presume you're revising at the moment for exams in January? Yeah you can do mock UKCAT exams online, I did a mock and got 680:biggrin: Erm, yeah I am going for work experience in UCL hospital next August dispite living in South West Wales:P and ive been volunteering in two old people's homes on every Saturday for 3 hours for the past year so I'll keep that up until I apply now. How about you, any work experience?
Well done! Those stats are really good! Definitely got a sting chance of not just being thrown in the 1-2A* pile then:wink: I presume you're revising at the moment for exams in January? Yeah you can do mock UKCAT exams online, I did a mock and got 680:biggrin: Erm, yeah I am going for work experience in UCL hospital next August dispite living in South West Wales:P and ive been volunteering in two old people's homes on every Saturday for 3 hours for the past year so I'll keep that up until I apply now. How about you, any work experience?

Haha! Thank you :smile: And to you too! Well done on your mock UKCAT. I think the average is 650 so being in year 11 and getting 680 is a really good achievement. I tried an online paper too but didn't manage to finish it because my laptop shut down :frown: I was planning on doing volunteering too! I currently do it at my local library once a week but am looking at applying to a nursing home, in the next few months as they usually only take people who are 16. I have arranged dentistry work experience in the February half term for a change and plan to arrange some at a hospital in June/July. I would also like to do it at GOSH with a friend but I think it would be hard to get and also there is work experience for Year 12/13 students at Glaxosmithkline so I hope to do that too next year. What do you do at the moment for GCSEs?
Haha! Thank you :smile: And to you too! Well done on your mock UKCAT. I think the average is 650 so being in year 11 and getting 680 is a really good achievement. I tried an online paper too but didn't manage to finish it because my laptop shut down :frown: I was planning on doing volunteering too! I currently do it at my local library once a week but am looking at applying to a nursing home, in the next few months as they usually only take people who are 16. I have arranged dentistry work experience in the February half term for a change and plan to arrange some at a hospital in June/July. I would also like to do it at GOSH with a friend but I think it would be hard to get and also there is work experience for Year 12/13 students at Glaxosmithkline so I hope to do that too next year. What do you do at the moment for GCSEs?

Thank you very much, I was happy with the score. Ah unlucky! Where are you from then? Yeah, all I can say with volunteering in an old peoples home is, good luck. For the first week weekends it's unbelievable, I was heeving every two minutes! It was vile. But you get used to it and it's all for the love of wanting to be a doctor ey?😂 Well when I was born, I had a lot of implications and so over my life I've had about 70 hours of surgery, and it was like life threatening stuff. So I skipped the application process for work experience at GOSH because I knew all of the doctors and they just forewarned my e-mail to admissions ahah! Was advantageous almost dying at birth... Weirdly..😂
Before I apply I think I'll go on one of those week long courses to prepare you for interview and UKCAT ect. Should be really helpful! I am currently studying:
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Maths
Business
ICT
DT
RS
Welsh lang(first language.) My B:")
English lit
English lang
Additional Maths
How about you?
Thank you very much, I was happy with the score. Ah unlucky! Where are you from then? Yeah, all I can say with volunteering in an old peoples home is, good luck. For the first week weekends it's unbelievable, I was heeving every two minutes! It was vile. But you get used to it and it's all for the love of wanting to be a doctor ey?������ Well when I was born, I had a lot of implications and so over my life I've had about 70 hours of surgery, and it was like life threatening stuff. So I skipped the application process for work experience at GOSH because I knew all of the doctors and they just forewarned my e-mail to admissions ahah! Was advantageous almost dying at birth... Weirdly..������
Before I apply I think I'll go on one of those week long courses to prepare you for interview and UKCAT ect. Should be really helpful! I am currently studying:
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Maths
Business
ICT
DT
RS
Welsh lang(first language.) My B:")
English lit
English lang
Additional Maths
How about you?

Oh that's awful! I hope you're better now! And thank you for the advice. I was told by quite a few people that volunteering at a nursing home is rewarding but challenging. I live in South East England so it will be quite easy to visit London as the train journey is only 1-1.5 hours to get to central London. I am probably also going on many of those interview/ UKCAT weekends and am probably going to buy books/ do mock interviews as well.
I do Maths, English Lang, English Lit, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography (my A), Latin, Spanish, German and Textiles.
Although I now wish I had done History instead of Geography but I really like all the subject I do :smile: What are planning on taking for A levels?
Original post by Jitesh
Yeah they probably do, I'll get a hold of them once I finish my mocks hopefully, my g&t teacher is head of the History department

Yeah it was excellent! Main prezzie was an ipad

gdgd :yep:

Ooh, very nice :tongue: My main one was technically my laptop although I got it in the summer because I really needed it for school :biggrin:
Oh that's awful! I hope you're better now! And thank you for the advice. I was told by quite a few people that volunteering at a nursing home is rewarding but challenging. I live in South East England so it will be quite easy to visit London as the train journey is only 1-1.5 hours to get to central London. I am probably also going on many of those interview/ UKCAT weekends and am probably going to buy books/ do mock interviews as well.
I do Maths, English Lang, English Lit, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography (my A), Latin, Spanish, German and Textiles.
Although I now wish I had done History instead of Geography but I really like all the subject I do :smile: What are planning on taking for A levels?

Yeah I'm totally fine now don't worry. Thank you anyway though:P Have you got Facebook? Yeah it's realt rewarding and on times as they're not officially medical proffessionals the carers can make the atmosphere not too great between eachother-_- not to say that that's everywhere though. N'aw that's cool! I actually thinking on it, joked about 1-2A*, my cousin got in o southampton with both Dislexia and 1A* at GCSE and is now a third year medical student at Southampton so you don't have to be getting all A*s. I guess they made an exception as he had Dyslexia though. N'aw lucky you! I'd love to live in England, Wales is a bit, recluse:").
Yeah I know right they're meant to be really handy so my GP told me:P Why do you want to be a doctor then?:wink: Im going to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths how about you?

That's a lot of languages :zomg:
That's a lot of languages :zomg:

Yeah I ddi think that. Although, Latin is so complex I would presume that it is reasonably standard level Latin:P

Latest