The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zhang-liao
Chemistry degrees do generally have quite low entry requirements in comparison to other science-related degrees such as Medicine so I do agree with you there

I also had that issue with wanting a mixture of Biology and Chemistry so I looked at possible degrees which combined Chemistry and Biology and found some but they didn't provide an industrial year placement and the very few degrees which did were from universities outside London. Kings College London have a combination of Biomedicine and Chemistry (which is accredited by RSC - Royal Society of Chemistry) but they don't provide an industrial year placement and I see that as essential if I want to prosper in a career for Chemistry since I'll have that first-hand experience.
Imperial have this amazing combination (a 5 year MSci and an Industrial Year Placement with Medinical Chemistry) but as mentioned before, since neither of us have Maths A-Level and Imperial except Maths as a part of their entry requirement

If you do want a combination of some sort, you might want to consider Pharmacology or Pharmacy (though Pharmacy isn't a great great degree since it has been saturated with jobs over the years recently). If you particularly interested in working for the pharmaceutical industry but want that aspect of Biology, Microbiology might be a degree to consider. :smile:

Hope what I've said helps to an extent with your decision, I had a similar problem as to what degree choice I wanted to do and I couldn't find anything that combined my interest of Biology and Chemistry and its graduate prospects looked good. :console: Good luck with your degree choice though :smile:

I actually dislike the fact there is so many degrees available, it makes choosing so difficult. The thing is as a career, I want to go into Law or work for a pharmaceutical company making medicines or do work for somewhere like Loreal making cosmetics. I would never do Law as a degree though because you don't need it for your job and I would rather do something I enjoy. A course I really liked was biochemistry w/ neuroscience at University of Nottingham but I think its the only University to do that so I don't know how my personal statement will play out.

I like the bio-medical science w/ chemistry though. With placement years, if my degree wouldn't do it, I would look into doing some work experience or get one in a company that offers science placements to try and ensure I could get a job at the end of it. Personally, I would just try and do what I can to build up a CV so not doing a placement year wouldn't put me at a disadvantage, 9K is something to consider too.

Yeah I've looked into Microbiology and quite like it. I don't want a very specialized degree though I feel like it closes options.

Do you know what you would do with your chemistry degree though?

You've been an amazing help, thank you soooooooooooo much!! :biggrin:
I hope you get into your first choice uni and course too :smile:
Aah yes, just remembered, you might want to consider signing up to ChemNet for help in regards to careers advice. I know its Chemistry-focussed but I'd recommend it since other members might be able to help hopefully

I'll have a look, thanks!

Keep a look out for UCL programmes for the Summer for Widening participation and are you applying for the Nuffield research placement?
I can help out with anyone doing CCEA... Which is probably very few :tongue:
Original post by noshahmad

Keep a look out for UCL programmes for the Summer for Widening participation and are you applying for the Nuffield research placement?

Been looking at UCL programmes, am considering it but I don't know completely if I should do it or not
I'll hopefully be applying to Nuffield Research Placements for a chemistry-based placement :biggrin:

How about you?

I actually dislike the fact there is so many degrees available, it makes choosing so difficult. The thing is as a career, I want to go into Law or work for a pharmaceutical company making medicines or do work for somewhere like Loreal making cosmetics. I would never do Law as a degree though because you don't need it for your job and I would rather do something I enjoy. A course I really liked was biochemistry w/ neuroscience at University of Nottingham but I think its the only University to do that so I don't know how my personal statement will play out.

I like the bio-medical science w/ chemistry though. With placement years, if my degree wouldn't do it, I would look into doing some work experience or get one in a company that offers science placements to try and ensure I could get a job at the end of it. Personally, I would just try and do what I can to build up a CV so not doing a placement year wouldn't put me at a disadvantage, 9K is something to consider too.

Yeah I've looked into Microbiology and quite like it. I don't want a very specialized degree though I feel like it closes options.

Do you know what you would do with your chemistry degree though?

You've been an amazing help, thank you soooooooooooo much!! :biggrin:
I hope you get into your first choice uni and course too :smile:

What's 9K all about?

I find Medinical Chemistry and Pharmaceuticals quite interesing so I'm hoping to go into that but again I don't want a specialized degree (like Medinical Chemistry BSc or MSci) since it'll block off other chemistry vaccines so I'm planning on doing a pure generic degree :smile:

You're welcome, just asking, what's your first choice univeristy? Mine has to be UCL but that's a massive dream though...

Original post by TheNoobishKnight
Found both of your posts interesting. I wanted to do medicine, but messed AS up, may still apply for it if I get much better in this gap year(I got D for chem and the rest were not very far of A)

But anyway I really liked the look of biochemistry for some reason
1) maths not needed, I am not good at it as I haven't done it past GCSE.
2) Bio + Chem, I enjoy them both a lot
3) Job as a researcher or a teacher in either bio or chem!

However there is a big Con from what I read.
1) jobs are hard to find and the jobs don't pay all that great(which isn't much of a problem if you don't care about money, but still is a con). Many people go and do accountancy after biochemistry and related as the jobs are saturated.

I enjoyed reading your posts, I looked for some good unis that do chem without maths and I read somewhere UCL or something which is interesting! I guess I got to keep researching!

You're welcome :biggrin:

I was originally interested and in fact was planning on doing Biochemistry at university but saw that big problem and decided not to do it and decided to do Chemistry instead after some advice and research so I'd recommend doing research and asking for advice as well.

Good luck with your degree choice :biggrin:

EDIT - NoobishKnight & Nosha, feel free to PM me
(edited 9 years ago)

I'm kinda jumping in here but I am :biggrin:
You already applied? What subject you hoping for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Found both of your posts interesting. I wanted to do medicine, but messed AS up, may still apply for it if I get much better in this gap year(I got D for chem and the rest were not very far of A)

But anyway I really liked the look of biochemistry for some reason
1) maths not needed, I am not good at it as I haven't done it past GCSE.
2) Bio + Chem, I enjoy them both a lot
3) Job as a researcher or a teacher in either bio or chem!

However there is a big Con from what I read.
1) jobs are hard to find and the jobs don't pay all that great(which isn't much of a problem if you don't care about money, but still is a con). Many people go and do accountancy after biochemistry and related as the jobs are saturated.

I enjoyed reading your posts, I looked for some good unis that do chem without maths and I read somewhere UCL or something which is interesting! I guess I got to keep researching!

I do think whilst the area is saturated you do what you enjoy. At the end of the day, if you are good at what you do/ have plenty of work experience then you will get a job unlike those who don't try enough looking for a job or won't accept anything below X amount of money. If I got a job for 18K in my chosen area I would take it, just for the experience to climb on that career ladder but not everything is like that.

Imperial has loads of great degrees for Science, not all of them require maths and you could look into that. Even if you're a resit student I doubt it matter hugely unless you were applying for something like Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lyricalvibe

Posted from TSR Mobile

What subject are you planning on applying for?
I'm hoping to apply for a placement for Chemistry but I've got loads of time though, my application deadline is sometime March, been working on my personal statement..:tongue:
Been looking at UCL programmes, am considering it but I don't know completely if I should do it or not
I'll hopefully be applying to Nuffield Research Placements for a chemistry-based placement :biggrin:

How about you?

What's 9K all about?

I find Medinical Chemistry and Pharmaceuticals quite interesing so I'm hoping to go into that but again I don't want a specialized degree (like Medinical Chemistry BSc or MSci) since it'll block off other chemistry vaccines so I'm planning on doing a pure generic degree :smile:

You're welcome, just asking, what's your first choice univeristy? Mine has to be UCL but that's a massive dream though...

You're welcome :biggrin:

I was originally interested and in fact was planning on doing Biochemistry at university but saw that big problem and decided not to do it and decided to do Chemistry instead after some advice and research so I'd recommend doing research and asking for advice as well.

Good luck with your degree choice :biggrin:

EDIT - NoobishKnight & Nosha, feel free to PM me

UCL programmes are handy especially because the uni may slightly lower their offer if you are with them from what ive heard. No harm in applying though, even if you later choose not to do it.

Hopefully something in bio/chem not sure yet.

I meant 9,000 pounds for tuition fees. Yeah its a great degree to have, even if you were to do something like IB down the line they like chem graduates.

First choice is UCL too, huge dream but fingers crossed we get in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't applied, I will soon.

Do you know when the deadline is or if its a first come first served basis and I know they have 1000 placements and a lot more applicants.

What placement are you looking to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
UCL programmes are handy especially because the uni may slightly lower their offer if you are with them from what ive heard. No harm in applying though, even if you later choose not to do it.

Hopefully something in bio/chem not sure yet.

I meant 9,000 pounds for tuition fees. Yeah its a great degree to have, even if you were to do something like IB down the line they like chem graduates.

First choice is UCL too, huge dream but fingers crossed we get in.

Might consider doing them, was looking at them earlier in the year :tongue:

I'm applying for a Chemistry research placement but fingers crossed here, really really competitive placement though :redface:

Ooooh yeah, hopefully...just wish they could reduce the tuition fees...:frown:

Fingers crossed :tongue: - I'm worried about not getting in mainly due to the number of B's and lack of A's in my GCSE's though :tongue:

Do you know when the deadline is or if its a first come first served basis and I know they have 1000 placements and a lot more applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Split it into two, I know its for lyricalvibe but just saying, its not a first-come-first served basis, they look at your application and your personal statement - have heard from people on TSR who have done the Nuffield research placement, they look quite closely to your personal statement though and you need to structure and create a really good personal statement :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
x

Just asking, you planning on doing Taster courses?

I know I've quoted you loads, sorry :colondollar:
Might consider doing them, was looking at them earlier in the year :tongue:

I'm applying for a Chemistry research placement but fingers crossed here, really really competitive placement though :redface:

Ooooh yeah, hopefully...just wish they could reduce the tuition fees...:frown:

Fingers crossed :tongue: - I'm worried about not getting in mainly due to the number of B's and lack of A's in my GCSE's though :tongue:

Split it into two, I know its for lyricalvibe but just saying, its not a first-come-first served basis, they look at your application and your personal statement - have heard from people on TSR who have done the Nuffield research placement, they look quite closely to your personal statement though and you need to structure and create a really good personal statement :biggrin:

I know, its such a bummer having to look at your paycheck and seeing the money being cut off for your student loan.

Yeah same, I'm worried about my lack of A*s, I have 1, but I hope my 7 As will be okay :/ I don't think they look really close at your GCSEs but your application as a whole.

Aww,thanks that helps! :smile: guess I should begin formulating a personal statment then,.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do think whilst the area is saturated you do what you enjoy. At the end of the day, if you are good at what you do/ have plenty of work experience then you will get a job unlike those who don't try enough looking for a job or won't accept anything below X amount of money. If I got a job for 18K in my chosen area I would take it, just for the experience to climb on that career ladder but not everything is like that.

Imperial has loads of great degrees for Science, not all of them require maths and you could look into that. Even if you're a resit student I doubt it matter hugely unless you were applying for something like Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks, and yeah I get your point.

I am not a resit student, just resitting some units for AS within my A2 and doing exp and stuff in my gap year :biggrin:. This is allowed for most courses including most medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't applied either yet, deadline is 15 of January, I think its whoever seems most passionate from personal statement/best applicant gets accepted, I saw on tsr someone got accepted with mainly B's at GCSE and b/A as targets with no interview so I'm guessing they prize passion over academics :confused:

No idea. Currently I'm thinking chemistry as it could be mentioned on a personal statement for medicine or engineering. What you applying for?
(edited 9 years ago)
I know I'm a little late to the party, but I'm a Year 13 who is doing OCR B Salter's and can try and help if there are any questions. I've also got offers for Pharmacy for September so if anyone is considering it and has any questions about the application process/interviews/personal statements then I can do my best!
Just asking, you planning on doing Taster courses?

I know I've quoted you loads, sorry :colondollar:

Taster courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know, its such a bummer having to look at your paycheck and seeing the money being cut off for your student loan.

Yeah same, I'm worried about my lack of A*s, I have 1, but I hope my 7 As will be okay :/ I don't think they look really close at your GCSEs but your application as a whole.

Aww,thanks that helps! :smile: guess I should begin formulating a personal statment then,.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True :frown:

I go 3A*'s and 1A but most of my grades are B's though so I'm worried about that. (Really should've revised properly and not used TSR as much...:colondollar: - it has taught me not to relax during study leave though :lol:)
(edited 9 years ago)
thanks, and yeah I get your point.

I am not a resit student, just resitting some units for AS within my A2 and doing exp and stuff in my gap year :biggrin:. This is allowed for most courses including most medicine.

Thats even better then. I appraise you, it must be difficult to take some extra exams alongside your A2s, is A2 chem a lot harder?

I haven't applied either yet, deadline is 15 of January, I think its whoever seems most passionate from personal statement/best applicant gets accepted, I saw on tsr someone got accepted with mainly B's at GCSE and b/A as targets with no interview so I'm guessing they prize passion over academics :confused:

No idea. Currently I'm thinking chemistry as it could be mentioned on a personal statement for medicine or engineering. What you applying for?

The deadline is so close :unimpressed: i better start my application soon. I don't even know how I'm supposed to show my passion, I just about keep up with my course and haven't even started wider reading.

I hope to apply for Chemistry, although I wouldn't mind biology either so I'll try and accomadate both in my PS :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Taster courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile

University of London Taster Courses
http://www.london.ac.uk/TASTERS
Thats even better then. I appraise you, it must be difficult to take some extra exams alongside your A2s, is A2 chem a lot harder?

The deadline is so close :unimpressed: i better start my application soon. I don't even know how I'm supposed to show my passion, I just about keep up with my course and haven't even started wider reading.

I hope to apply for Chemistry, although I wouldn't mind biology either so I'll try and accomadate both in my PS :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the A2 is much easier except for some questions. On the whole though, I am finding it much better than I did with the AS, TBH for the AS I left it too late and never did much revision at all, kept on ignoring it.

I don't need appraise though lol thanks though, I must actually appraise all you guys for working hard and putting in the effort this early!
I think the A2 is much easier except for some questions. On the whole though, I am finding it much better than I did with the AS, TBH for the AS I left it too late and never did much revision at all, kept on ignoring it.

I don't need appraise though lol thanks though, I must actually appraise all you guys for working hard and putting in the effort this early!

Lol please. I haven't even begun revising yet. I hope to start tomorrow I've been putting it off.

I'm excited for year 13, I can finally drop Economics which I detest but I don't want to find next year really difficult, its reassuring its not too bad though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest