The Student Room Group

£600 paid. Am I being Ripped Off??

I've paid the AA enough money for driving lessons now. 20 hours.

In that time i've only done one manouver. A 3 point turn.

- No hill starts, No Bay Parking, No Parralel Parking, No Emergency Stop, No Reversing around Bends etc.

Should I be worried? I'm doing Automatic. He first said the minimum is 40 hours (1st lesson) Now i've done 20 hours he says 'he doesn't know how many hours i'll need'. That he'll 'Let me Know' when i'm ready for the test???

Shall I change my driver? He was 30 minutes late for my last lesson and often has cut lessons short by 10-15 minutes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Wow ripped off its an understatement..I passed my manual with 26 hours. Did all my maneuvers before my 17th hr.

Plus AA is stupidly expensive
Reply 2
Original post by bittr n swt
Wow ripped off its an understatement..I passed my manual with 26 hours. Did all my maneuvers before my 17th hr.

Plus AA is stupidly expensive

I know other people who did a similar amount of hours though. I did drive on a dualc carriageway on my last lesson but he kept grabbing the wheel :/

I am a really good driver though I do two hour lessons and have driven all over London.
Yes you are.
Reply 4
Original post by Catholic_

- No hill starts, No Bay Parking, No Parralel Parking, No Emergency Stop, No Reversing around Bends etc.

Should I be worried? I'm doing Automatic. He first said the minimum is 40 hours (1st lesson) Now i've done 20 hours he says 'he doesn't know how many hours i'll need'. That he'll 'Let me Know' when i'm ready for the test???

Get a new instructor. There's plenty around.
I do automatic driving too and I did all my maneuvers in well under 20 lessons. I did hill start was within the first 2/3 lessons. Also, £30 a lesson? That's a lot, even for automatic :/
Reply 6

This is not good.. Oh god

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Tom102
This is not good.. Oh god

Posted from TSR Mobile

Explain?
Reply 8
Explain?

Relative to my lessons and others for the amount of lessons you've done you've got nowhere.

I'm sure the instructor also helps you with his pedals too...

30 quid an hour too, ouch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Tom102
Relative to my lessons and others for the amount of lessons you've done you've got nowhere.

I'm sure the instructor also helps you with his pedals too...

30 quid an hour too, ouch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I can drive. I went on the Dual carriageway on my 20th lesson. But yeah it seens as though wveeybody else has done the things I listed in quicker time than me :/
Reply 10
Well I can drive. I went on the Dual carriageway on my 20th lesson. But yeah it seens as though wveeybody else has done the things I listed in quicker time than me :/

I went on the A3 in my third lesson (in a manual), I never even drove go karts or tractors previously.

It just seems that this guy is trying to leech you for all you've got imo.
Reply 11
Original post by OutAtStarlight
I do automatic driving too and I did all my maneuvers in well under 20 lessons. I did hill start was within the first 2/3 lessons. Also, £30 a lesson? That's a lot, even for automatic :/

I know Automatic is easy it shouldn't take anybody that much to drive.
First rule of driving, if you dont have a huge amount of money, never go with a big company like the AA as they'll do this to you. always go with a stand alone guy or a smaller company that wont take you for a ride!
I did all my maneuvers in under 20 lessons too! Find an independent guy.
I had AA and I got on really well and did my manouvers (at least the basics) by the 10th lesson (20th hour) and I really liked my instructor. However it really does sound like you are being ripped off, I would change instructors or phone up and complain to the AA
Reply 15
Contact the AA. I was in a similar situation you yourself, I phoned the company and explained my circumstances, they put me in contact with a new instructor no questions asked and saved any awkwardness with the old one.
He first said the minimum is 40 hours (1st lesson)

So long as your progress is ok - then yeah, you're being ripped off.

You can learn to fly in 45 hours.
My dad was a driving instructor, at one point for the AA before he went independent again. The AA ones will try to rip you off if they don't get many customers as they have to pay hundreds per month renting the car, and my dad wasn't going to do that so quit after a year or so.

£30/hr is ridiculously high, everyone I know has paid maximum of £25/hr. There is also no minimum, and the average person passes after 20-30 lessons.

Quick Reply

Latest