The Student Room Group

Can a man ever forgive a woman for aborting his child?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nuvertion
So tell me why you wrote 'men can be so amusing'? Any normal person would've wrote 'people can be so amusing', unless of course that person had an irrational hate towards a certain group of people and had a sad, pathetic agenda they wanted to spread. What if I wrote 'black people can be so amusing' or 'gay people can be so amusing', what would you say then?

I think she's referring to the thread title "Can a man ever forgive a woman for aborting his child?" which is indicative of a frame of mind in which the baby is "his" and not "hers."
Ultimately I would say the choice is hers.

How you react to it however is entirely your choice. If that means never forgiving her and breaking up / divorce then this is fair too.
Original post by Viceroy
I think she's referring to the thread title "Can a man ever forgive a woman for aborting his child?" which is indicative of a frame of mind in which the baby is "his" and not "hers."

What's that got to do with men in general? This is the OPs mindset, not what 'men' think.
What's that got to do with men in general?

Dunno. Guess the guy who made the thread thinks that way and so do a lot of the others posting here, so I guess she was just unfairly generalizing.
So tell me why you wrote 'men can be so amusing'? Any normal person would've wrote 'people can be so amusing', unless of course that person had an irrational hate towards a certain group of people and had a sad, pathetic agenda they wanted to spread. What if I wrote 'black people can be so amusing' or 'gay people can be so amusing', what would you say then?

You're even more amusing.
A woman is within her rights to abort a baby against the father's wishes if she wants to, that doesn't mean she isn't an amoral, deplorable abomination for doing so.
Original post by Meyrin
You're even more amusing.

I can say the same about you since you won't answer his question...
Urgh, I would never abort if he didn't want me to. That said, I'd hate to abort any baby of mine anyway ... I'd only ever do that if it was what he really wanted.
(edited 9 years ago)
The way I look at it is, if I got pregnant and kept it, I'd have a baby I didn't want, if my partner stood by me great, if not, I'm alone with a baby....I didn't want,

If I aborted a baby, I'd feel guilty/regret...potentially.

It's a lose lose situation for a woman. They have to go through physicAl and emotional trauma either way.

A man does not. He can just walk away.

My body, my choice.
Original post by Mr Wrong
That's if he wanted the child. Can a relationship ever survive something like that?

I have no experience of this however as a male I could never picture myself continuing a relationship with any woman (wife or gf) that decides to go against my wishes and abort the child because she doesn't want it.

Is it the same for other men?

Or are you more understanding.

Please keep religion out of this.

If its a ONS then its ultimately her choice (though I'd rather not know).

If its a relationship and she not to consult me or defied me then she'd be dumped on the spot.
Original post by Rakas21
If its a ONS then its ultimately her choice (though I'd rather not know).

If its a relationship and she not to consult me or defied me then she'd be dumped on the spot.

If you were in a relationship and this happened (unplanned), I would assume a lengthy discussion about the right decision would occur. Both people would have to agree on what to do. If that was impossible, well, then both people are in a pickle and there's no easy answer as to what to do.
Women don't want abortions like they want a nice new handbag or a shiny watch - they want one like a rabbit wants to gnaw off its leg when caught in a trap.

Most women who have abortions see no other option. They see it is an escape route; besides, it is the woman who have to carry the child to full term for 9 months, and then give birth. It is the woman who has to suffer the psychological and emotional trauma of carrying an unwanted baby.

Personally I think the man has no right to say whether or not the woman should have an abortion if he willingly had unprotected sex with his partner, knowing the full consequences. I fully support the woman's right to choose: it is her body. The life of a foetus can be disputed, whereas the life of a woman is assured. Why not try and protect and support the life already there?

It is ignorant to assume any woman would take having an abortion lightly. When abortions are carried out it is often in circumstances where no other option is (seemingly) available, and many men assume abortions are used out of spite toward the man, or out of carelessness. Usually it's because the psychological and emotional effects of carrying a baby to full term and giving birth is too much to deal with. (Or, more obviously, because of rape, or because the baby is seriously ill, or the mother is at serious risk).

Saying this, I do not think the role of the father should be overlooked, as yes, the baby is 50% his. Any two people in a loving relationship should consider the options carefully and with tact, appreciating both the mother's position - nine months of pregnancy, morning sickness, bloating, weight gain, and a 24 hour(on average) painful/uncomfortable birthing process - and the father's too - financially, emotionally, the strain, of raising a child etc.

Just as a side, the sentence " I could never picture myself continuing a relationship with any woman (wife or gf) that decides to go against my wishes" doesn't make you sound particularly healthy.
Original post by Viceroy
If you were in a relationship and this happened (unplanned), I would assume a lengthy discussion about the right decision would occur. Both people would have to agree on what to do. If that was impossible, well, then both people are in a pickle and there's no easy answer as to what to do.

Exactly. If it wasn't likely that we'd be in a satisfactory position financially then I'd be open to a abortion. Equally if there was an impasse and it got to week 20 so she said 'me or the baby' I might choose her. But if we don't agree or she fails to consult me then that's unforgivable and shed be dumped immediately.

uh, maybe because it was a man who made the thread? no information on the gay or black front, but seriously...WOULD anyone care if someone said those things? you seem quite alarmingly desperate to be offended

"a sad, pathetic agenda" - don't think I've ever been so simultaneously embarrassed and amused by a post
Reply 54
ITT:
Women - Yes he should forgive, we are the ones who are carrying the baby blah blah.
Men - No, it is as much our baby as yours blah blah.

Basically my point is, each sex is going to be biased. Therefore the results from this thread have pretty much no meaning.
Original post by Rakas21
Exactly. If it wasn't likely that we'd be in a satisfactory position financially then I'd be open to a abortion. Equally if there was an impasse and it got to week 20 so she said 'me or the baby' I might choose her. But if we don't agree or she fails to consult me then that's unforgivable and shed be dumped immediately.

If you and she didn't agree, you'd probably both want to break up.
Original post by Ellen Jane
Women don't want abortions like they want a nice new handbag or a shiny watch - they want one like a rabbit wants to gnaw off its leg when caught in a trap.

Most women who have abortions see no other option. They see it is an escape route; besides, it is the woman who have to carry the child to full term for 9 months, and then give birth. It is the woman who has to suffer the psychological and emotional trauma of carrying an unwanted baby.

Personally I think the man has no right to say whether or not the woman should have an abortion if he willingly had unprotected sex with his partner, knowing the full consequences. I fully support the woman's right to choose: it is her body. The life of a foetus can be disputed, whereas the life of a woman is assured. Why not try and protect and support the life already there?

It is ignorant to assume any woman would take having an abortion lightly. When abortions are carried out it is often in circumstances where no other option is (seemingly) available, and many men assume abortions are used out of spite toward the man, or out of carelessness. Usually it's because the psychological and emotional effects of carrying a baby to full term and giving birth is too much to deal with. (Or, more obviously, because of rape, or because the baby is seriously ill, or the mother is at serious risk).

Saying this, I do not think the role of the father should be overlooked, as yes, the baby is 50% his. Any two people in a loving relationship should consider the options carefully and with tact, appreciating both the mother's position - nine months of pregnancy, morning sickness, bloating, weight gain, and a 24 hour(on average) painful/uncomfortable birthing process - and the father's too - financially, emotionally, the strain, of raising a child etc.

Just as a side, the sentence " I could never picture myself continuing a relationship with any woman (wife or gf) that decides to go against my wishes" doesn't make you sound particularly healthy.

Regarding your last paragraph it is certainly healthy. I'm not gona stay with a girl who took away my right to have a baby..no.
Original post by bittr n swt
Regarding your last paragraph it is certainly healthy. I'm not gona stay with a girl who took away my right to have a baby..no.

Your right to have a baby isn't more important than a woman's right to control her own body.
Original post by TheWaffle
Your right to have a baby isn't more important than a woman's right to control her own body.

Well its wrong to completely dismiss my right. It should be considered at least.

From the poll most guys would leave the girl and rightly so.
Original post by bittr n swt
Well its wrong to completely dismiss my right. It should be considered at least.

From the poll most guys would leave the girl and rightly so.

your right isn't being dismissed at all. But it is the woman's choice ultimately as she will have to through huge changes/ traumas/ risks to have the baby. Besides there are other ways for you to fufill your right to a child such as surrogate mothers/ adoption.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending