The Student Room Group

Male pretty badly underweight

I've never been great at eating and have always been noticeably skinny. But i've not dipped under 8 stone, weighing myself at 7 stone 10 today which considering i'm 6ft and way less than my 4ft11 mom who is a pretty average build is pretty worrying.

I just never really seem to have a appetite. When eating a meal i'll usually feel completely full half way through, and may even start gagging if i try and force myself to eat more.I'm unsure if its at the stage i should visit a doctor, as whilst my immune system doesn't seem great despite looking noticeably skinny i've not notice many health issues. Or maybe i could give those weight gaining pills a chance, even though i've been advised against this by a couple of people
Original post by Anonymous
I've never been great at eating and have always been noticeably skinny. But i've not dipped under 8 stone, weighing myself at 7 stone 10 today which considering i'm 6ft and way less than my 4ft11 mom who is a pretty average build is pretty worrying.

I just never really seem to have a appetite. When eating a meal i'll usually feel completely full half way through, and may even start gagging if i try and force myself to eat more.I'm unsure if its at the stage i should visit a doctor, as whilst my immune system doesn't seem great despite looking noticeably skinny i've not notice many health issues. Or maybe i could give those weight gaining pills a chance, even though i've been advised against this by a couple of people

Go to the doctors, no one hear is qualified ( most likely anyway ) to properly help you and by the sounds of what you wrote, you probably need some proper help.
I calculated your bmi as less than 15. That is worryingly low, you need to go see a doctor, they will probably go down the path of anorexia with a bmi of that number. But you do need help, go see a doctor. Good luck, you can change. Just getting your bmi up to 18.5 will make you much more healthier and immune system stronger.
Reply 3
I calculated your bmi as less than 15. That is worryingly low, you need to go see a doctor, they will probably go down the path of anorexia with a bmi of that number. But you do need help, go see a doctor. Good luck, you can change. Just getting your bmi up to 18.5 will make you much more healthier and immune system stronger.

A couple of people suggested anorexia, but i always thought that involved a person viewing themselves as being obese despite being skinny.

I can accept i'm skinny and not even a normal weight never mind overweight, so i'm not sure it could be anorexia.
See a doctor, maybe keep food log of what you're eating also as that can sometimes be helpful. However don't take anything until you see a doctor please! :smile:
Reply 5
Eat high calorie, low satiation stuff - a google should give you ideas on that. Also drink weight gainer shakes. Right now you're a quite worryingly low weight so you want to put on weight in any way possible even if it's not necessarily "healthy". If you get in the gym and exercise - in particular lifting - that will give you an appetite and you'll put on muscle along with the fat.
Its not typical of anorexia no, because that involves a distorted image of yourself.

There could be a physical problem thats preventing you having an appetite and gaining weight though, so see a doctor and get some tests run. If nothing initially shows up, you may have to go back and push for further investigation, but don't ignore it
Reply 7
Judging on the comments i'll probably go and see a doctor when i get back to university after January. Don't really want to go whilst i'm back home just in case it causes my family to worry.

That's worrying. My boyfriend is 21, same height 6ft, and is 5 stone heavier than you.

He's slim, so you must be very very skinny. You need to see a Doctor. You may have a medical condition. I doubt it's just down to lack of appetite. Guys are usually always quite hungry! Don't buy pills. You need a Doctor and some proper food in you!!
You need a doctor. Might be a hormonal problem- get a blood test or something.
Reply 10
just eat m8, drink loadssss of whole milk too

Quick Reply

Latest