The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Oh no. Let's not have another spinning top argument!
So tired that I feel asleep after 15 minutes and woke up with 10 minutes to go. Missed the middle section. Going to have to watch it again at some point.
Felt a bit like Moffat's view on Inception with all these dreams.

Better than i expected though considering Santa made a visit (Nick Frost is an awesome cameo).
Clara News (hardly a spoiler): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30602537

I'm happy with that, however i hope the bloated Danny story fades in the next series since i do not need all the unwanted waffle that it brings.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4384
Original post by _Morsey_
Snip

This should be in spoilers - feel free to say that it contains information officially announced above though.
Original post by Aula
This should be in spoilers - feel free to say that it contains information officially announced above though.

Not really a spoiler but just in case

Spoiler

With regards to the episode, I really hope this whole "you're still in a dream" thing doesn't come back to bite us at the end of next series; Moffat has a track record on this sort of thing.
Reply 4386
Original post by Kool_Panda
Not really a spoiler but just in case

Spoiler

With regards to the episode, I really hope this whole "you're still in a dream" thing doesn't come back to bite us at the end of next series; Moffat has a track record on this sort of thing.

Agreed with what's in the spoiler, but there are some people here who don't want to know anything like that until it happens.

Spoiler

My understanding was she was out this episode - was on the edge of my seat expecting her to "die" in some way ala Rory & Amy. I'm a bit (considerably) disappointed she'll be in next season - I have grown really tired of her - her arc seems stale and doesn't seem to excite me anymore. As a character, she carries "baggage" a bit like Martha.

I liked the concept of the episode a lot(!) but... I felt a little let down - this episode wasn't very Christmassy and I've grown to have very high expectation for the Christmas specials. Christmas for me this year was a bit dull and I was hoping Doctor Who would invoke some childhood nostalgia :frown:

And even though I liked the concept if it were for a normal episode, I felt the actual episode itself wasn't great. Acting on Capaldi's part was well done but the writing just involves pseudo-intellectual plots with no action/little suspense & drama/invoked next to no emotional response..

Also this memory/dream/telepathic plotline is surely past it's sell by date now? Clara erasing the minds of daleks telepathically, the Dream Lord involving Amy & Rory, the Angel forming in Amy's eye, the confessional priests, Daleks reacquiring knowledge of the Doctor through Tasha Lem, Amy + mankind losing memory of the Dalek invasion, Amy being able to remember her parents etc during the Pandorica arc, the Orient Express mummy... the list goes on

not to mention the fairy tales: Robin Hood, Santa Clause..
I don't know why but I'm embarrassed watching the episode. It just all feels so childish, rehashed, tired and boring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was ok not the best. It was like a children version of inception! I liked danny pink I thought he was an interesting character but I don't want him to come back from the dead. I think the doctor needs someone whose fun and witty that can tackle capaldis doctors persona. I just don't like Clara and I really can't believe shes staying longer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wasn't as bad as thought it could have been. And for a Christmas episode defs not bad.
I liked it a lot tbh, it was a good fun episode and easily the best xmas special for sometime as well, don't get the hate from some parts of the fanbase for it.
I thought the idea was good (although obviously a bit Inception meets Alien) but was executed a bit messily.

My problem with recent episodes is Moffat always tries to shoehorn in too many ideas, whilst I think a simple and well-executed plot is better. In this one Santa was the extra idea shoehorned in. In the last episode we had the Mistress, we had the magic Cyber rain, we had the land of the dead, we had UNIT, we had Danny Pink becoming a good Cyberman...it was just so much stuff it prevented an elegant plot.

If we think back to the episodes generally considered to be the best, we have Blink - one, single idea for one episode, executed wonderfully. Or Human Nature, similarly not too crowded with introductions of new things. Then think of some of the worst ones - the final Donna one, for example, where planets are being moved, people forgetting, Dalek king comes back, Torchwood comes back and does nothing, Martha comes back and does nothing, Rose comes back and does nothing, the doctor gets a twin - too much.

I also thought the old Clara ending was a perfect ending - it was a little 'Peter Pan comes back to find Wendy's grown up' kind of thing. It was a bit of a shame to find that to just be a decoy.
(edited 9 years ago)
So at the end after Santa's sleigh The Doctor and Clara realise they are still dreaming when they see OAP Clara and so they have to wake up again. Doesn't that mean the other people that 'woke up' after Santa's sleigh are actually still dreaming?
Considering it was a Christmas episode, which I rarely think are any good, I was quite pleased with that. It wasn't the best episode, but I thought it was better than some in the most recent couple of series.

I liked Shona! I'd much rather have her as a companion instead of Clara. Please Santa...
Haven't watched it yet, but I presume another wasted chance for a good episode ..like that Christmas special with Michael Gambon:nooo:
Original post by getfunky!
Haven't watched it yet, but I presume another wasted chance for a good episode ..like that Christmas special with Michael Gambon:nooo:

i liked it! was quite good! but watch and see what you think! :smile:
A poor episode. Compare it to the quality of 'Snowman' and even for a Christmas episode I'm sure you'd agree.
Original post by getfunky!

It's actually better than most Christmas episodes. Felt more like a normal mid-series episode than a Christmas special, apart from the appearance of Santa from time to time...
I enjoyed that episode even though I kept joking it was an Alien/Inception ripoff (I even guessed that someone fell asleep watching Alien to cause this) and they even borrowed from Die Hard. The few complaints I have is where Clara got angry at the Doctor for her not telling him Dannny is dead as well as the final dream with old Clara because it felt too much and it was a better ending than just them being happy and travelling. I think the message that we should make the most of our lives and put to one side small problems is a strong one and is shown by the Doctor not seeing Clara for 62 years. With that being the final dream, it puts in a(nother) reset switch, reducing the impact of the message in favour of a happy ending.

Quick Reply

Latest