The Student Room Group

Will we experience a real life backlash towards feminism? How?

There is significant and growing animosity towards feminism from many men and increasingly women.

I'm sure the vast majority agree with equality of opportunity for everyone regardless of gender, race, etc, but it is increasingly apparent that feminists don't stick to "equality of opportunity for each gender" but are a self-serving movement aimed at female superiority: removing the traditional obligations of being female while keeping all the benefits, and also removing the traditional benefits of being male while keeping all the obligations.

Wherever lots of men congregate on the Internet - TSR, the Misc, gaming sites, the Manosphere (e.g. Dalrock, TheRedPill reddit, Chateau Heartiste, RooshVForum, AVoiceForMen, Manhood Academy, or The Spearhead), or the more degenerate sites like 4chan and now 8chan - there is significant backlash towards feminism and SJWs. Of course, online people are anonymous so cannot get their lives ruined by feminist witch hunts, and so are more honest with their views.

Do you think this huge online backlash to feminism will have real world effects? How will this backlash occur?

Some possible thoughts:
- marriage increasingly unpopular
- Men Going Their Own Way (MGTOW), disregarding female and societal expectations and doing whatever they want, living life on their own terms (like the growing Herbivore movement in Japan).
- since the vast majority of men are struggling to get laid and women don't want to marry while young, men joining the Pick Up Artists (PUAs) in an attempt to learn how to get laid
- economic disengagement from men who don't want to be providers for women who slept around while younger

EDIT:
{
- I expect the MRA movement to fail since nobody cares about male complaints, although there might be positive changes if women realise they need to make changes to get men to marry
- I don't predict any violence towards female feminists, but male feminists may possibly experience a physical backlash
- men in positions of power may avoid hiring anyone with feminist or SJW views
}

There were a couple of very interesting articles recently from someone who studied at Cambridge:

The Sexodus, Part 1: The Men Giving Up On Women And Checking Out Of Society
The Sexodus, Part 2: Dishonest Feminist Panics Leave Male Sexuality In Crisis

Here's a five year old article predicting that the Misandry Bubble will collapse by 2020 with women suffering the consequences.

An article on feminism being responsible for the fall of Rome.

I think feminists will see all this online "misogyny" and instead of realising that feminism has created it, they will claim that we need even more feminism to combat it. This will just exacerbate the situation and make even more men become increasingly anti-feminist. We've seen this on TSR where the topic of feminism has become increasingly hostile over the years.

I think this is one of the biggest issues for our generation, hence the regular feminist / anti-feminist threads on TSR. It is vitally important that we are able to discuss it in this society forum. Please therefore be respectful and non-abusive towards opposing view points so that this thread doesn't get deleted. :smile:

What do you think? How will male behaviour change in response to feminism, particularly since there is such a large and growing backlash online? How will you as a man respond in real life to the changes feminism has brought? Since modern women delay marriage to focus on education and careers, will you want to marry a 30+ year old woman with 12-15 years of sexual experiences with other men? How will feminism and the government respond to these changes? Will feminism still be around in 5/10/20/50 years or will we experience a swing back towards more traditional gender roles?*

*Note that women are increasingly unhappy under feminism.

REMINDER: PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL. :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Meh. Women want what's best for women, men want what's best for men. Or so it would seem.

Really everyone's just out for themselves, identify a group they feel serves their needs better (as a group is more effective than an individual) but would stab their group members in the back for their own agendas to be served.

Merry Christmas.
I don't know, to be honest. So far, the worst part seems to be that most people in power don't realise at all. Case-in-point is the Ed Milliband and Nick Clegg 'This Is What A Feminist Looks Like' T-Shirt: seemed totally oblivious to how unpopular 'feminism' is now.

Other than that, I imagine the consequences won't be cataclysmic. It's probably something to do with the failures of leftism generally.

Lets at least hope that it doesn't result in neglect of the real problems that some women face, e.g. the sex slaves of IS.
False consensus effect much here. :rolleyes:
I think we'll hopefully see the downfall of the whole political correctness movement in general (e.g. feminism and multiculturalism) at some stage
Hopefully, but it will just be replaced by something else. People always need to play the victim or feel part of a larger movement. It's human nature
Reply 6
Original post by MarriageSucks
x

It's Christmas, take a pause for the cause.
Original post by MarriageSucks
There is significant and growing animosity towards feminism from many men and increasingly women.

I'm sure the vast majority agree with equality of opportunity for everyone regardless of gender, race, etc, but it is increasingly apparent that feminists don't stick to "equality of opportunity for each gender" but are a self-serving movement aimed at female superiority: removing the traditional obligations of being female while keeping all the benefits, and also removing the traditional benefits of being male while keeping all the obligations.

Wherever lots of men congregate on the Internet - TSR, the Misc, gaming sites, the Manosphere (e.g. Dalrock, TheRedPill reddit, Chateau Heartiste, RooshVForum, AVoiceForMen, Manhood Academy, or The Spearhead), or the more degenerate sites like 4chan and now 8chan - there is significant backlash towards feminism and SJWs. Of course, online people are anonymous so cannot get their lives ruined by feminist witch hunts, and so are more honest with their views.

Do you think this huge online backlash to feminism will have real world effects? How will this backlash occur?

Some possible thoughts:
- marriage increasingly unpopular
- Men Going Their Own Way (MGTOW), disregarding female and societal expectations and doing whatever they want, living life on their own terms (like the growing Herbivore movement in Japan).
- since the vast majority of men are struggling to get laid and women don't want to marry while young, men joining the Pick Up Artists (PUAs) in an attempt to learn how to get laid
- economic disengagement from men who don't want to be providers for women who slept around while younger

EDIT:
{
- I expect the MRA movement to fail since nobody cares about male complaints, although there might be positive changes if women realise they need to make changes to get men to marry
- I don't predict any violence towards female feminists, but male feminists may possibly experience a physical backlash
- men in positions of power may avoid hiring anyone with feminist or SJW views
}

There were a couple of very interesting articles recently from someone who studied at Cambridge:

The Sexodus, Part 1: The Men Giving Up On Women And Checking Out Of Society
The Sexodus, Part 2: Dishonest Feminist Panics Leave Male Sexuality In Crisis

Here's a five year old article predicting that the Misandry Bubble will collapse by 2020 with women suffering the consequences.

An article on feminism being responsible for the fall of Rome.

I think feminists will see all this online "misogyny" and instead of realising that feminism has created it, they will claim that we need even more feminism to combat it. This will just exacerbate the situation and make even more men become increasingly anti-feminist. We've seen this on TSR where the topic of feminism has become increasingly hostile over the years.

I think this is one of the biggest issues for our generation, hence the regular feminist / anti-feminist threads on TSR. It is vitally important that we are able to discuss it in this society forum. Please therefore be respectful and non-abusive towards opposing view points so that this thread doesn't get deleted. :smile:

What do you think? How will male behaviour change in response to feminism, particularly since there is such a large and growing backlash online? How will you as a man respond in real life to the changes feminism has brought? Since modern women delay marriage to focus on education and careers, will you want to marry a 30+ year old woman with 12-15 years of sexual experiences with other men? How will feminism and the government respond to these changes? Will feminism still be around in 5/10/20/50 years or will we experience a swing back towards more traditional gender roles?*

*Note that women are increasingly unhappy under feminism.

REMINDER: PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL. :biggrin:

In 50 years time we'll all be worrying too much abut climate change to debate gender issues imo. Also you sig says 'no hymen no diamond'. If that means what I think it does that's hardly a very egalitarian attitude to have.
We're Japan
Original post by zippity.doodah
I think we'll hopefully see the downfall of the whole political correctness movement in general (e.g. feminism and multiculturalism) at some stage

What would you replace multiculturalism with? Republicanism like France?

Feminism is a sham even on its own terms: at least the other identity politics movements concern actual minority groups whose voices may otherwise be drowned out. The woman constituency is 51% of the electorate and far larger than all the other minority groups protected under the Equality Act etc put together.
Do you realize that outside of these idiotic forums, very few people give a **** about feminism the way people here do? A lot of guys on TSR blow this stuff out of proportion because they are insecure about women...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Viceroy
Do you realize that outside of these idiotic forums, very few people give a **** about feminism the way people here do? A lot of guys on TSR blow this stuff out of proportion because they are insecure about women...

I can tell you're a male Feminist by your arguing methods.

Merry Christmas!
Original post by WeedCanKill
I can tell you're a male Feminist by your arguing methods.

Merry Christmas!

I'm really insulted that you called me the TSR equivalent of the 'f-word'! Ouch. I'm hurt. Call a doctor.

Bye.
Original post by Viceroy
I'm really insulted that you called me the TSR equivalent of the 'f-word'! Ouch. I'm hurt. Call a doctor.

Bye.

Oh don't take it so to heart buddy it's Christmas time chill your beans have a mulled wine.
There ought to be. The uber feminists are a disgusting cowardly bunch who have utterly ****ed our society, it's basically their own personal issues masquerading as politics.
Original post by scrotgrot
What would you replace multiculturalism with? Republicanism like France?

Feminism is a sham even on its own terms: at least the other identity politics movements concern actual minority groups whose voices may otherwise be drowned out. The woman constituency is 51% of the electorate and far larger than all the other minority groups protected under the Equality Act etc put together.

probably something like individual rationality, e.g. not accepting or putting up with stupid ideas just because the holder of such ideas happens to be of a different race or some other kind of minority identity - all cultural identities/ideas must be put to the test (via common debate) and if they don't win, then tough - we can't challenge logic with offence, because that's what I call pathetic in an adult society - in my view, challenging a rational criticism of a "multicultural" group with "offence" actually discredits that group further when the only crutch they have (if any) is, essentially moaning about how we're a free society, or how their way of life just isn't logical

and I'd say there was a plethora for why feminism today is idiotic and opportunistic, but I'd boil it down to three areas: 1) equality often is intended to be "the same" when nobody even want that in many areas, e.g. gender identities (not to do with employment expectations, though), and when one gender chooses to live differently to the other, e.g. reflective in the so called "wage gap" theory, then feminists assume that, because apparently men and women are or must be exactly the same, one gender must apparently be discriminated against. 2) women actually have more rights legally than men today, and 3) if it's about equality, why is it called "fem"inism, as if only one gender is in the light? does this mean I can call gender equality "masculinism/MRA-ism"? what, it's about equality, right? :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
While I do think that the attitudes expressed are fairly representative (I.e. Women are our equals but modern feminism is nutty), I don't think most people in the real world care beyond the general ethos.

I don't really see any reaction beyond the extremes. We'll get more people like the Japanese and more PUA types.
Original post by Viceroy

Actually it's quite heavily discussed in a few other big places like reddit and youtube.
Original post by Darkphilosopher
Actually it's quite heavily discussed in a few other big places like reddit and youtube.

Same category as TSR.
Original post by Viceroy
Same category as TSR.

My bad, I thought you were just refering to TSR. That said, I discuss it amongst my friends fairly regularly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending