The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheWaffle
Do you think if you continue this relationship you will be punished by Allah?
My advice from a non faith position would of course be to continue if he cares about you and you care about him because that is a special thing to find :smile:
This is because I don't think on balance that there is an afterlife and that we should just live our lives well in the name of humanity and help as many people as we can. Thus your relationship with a good guy could potentially be a great step foward to a happy and fufilled life. That is how I would approach it as I not religious person- I am inclined to see people as humans first and then religions second if they are not radical. That would be my take. It's just whether you can reconcile this with your own faith/ interpretation of the Quran. Some people read the Quaran in more of a metaphorical sense that can be adapted to modern times and thus do things which some muslims would forbid and still find peace in their relationship with Allah. It's up to you. Hope this helps :smile:

Noone reads the heaven hell afterlife as a metaphor. I don't mean this in a rude way but please don't judge Muslims by how you judge Christians. Alot of us are pretty serious about our religion and don't call things metaphors just because tthey disagree with the western world.
Original post by goobypls
You realize if the relationship is strong and you break up for non-love reasons, then the lasting effects can be quite horrid. Besides OP made up her mind she's still planning on staying with her BF

Where did she say that? Idk if your muslim or not, but in islam, relationships before marriage are haram.
You clearly don't understand how love works do you ???

Contrary to popular tsr misconceptions - muslims do indeed understand love.
Original post by Anonymous
Where did she say that? Idk if your muslim or not, but in islam, relationships before marriage are haram.

Unfortunately i don't exactly hold that view.
Noone reads the heaven hell afterlife as a metaphor. I don't mean this in a rude way but please don't judge Muslims by how you judge Christians. Alot of us are pretty serious about our religion and don't call things metaphors just because tthey disagree with the western world.

Haha I was thinking the same thing. Don't know what he's waffling on about :wink:

Even though you're muslim? lmao

So you openly disagree with Islam? I'd love to see justification for this one. It's not like the merry Christmas thing goobs. It's pretty straight forward.

I'm not saying muslims take everything metaphorically. Just that some muslims take certain teachings metaphorically. I was meaning teachings like those that say/ imply that interfaith relationships are wrong. I myself am not passing judgement on whether things are a metaphor- just that some muslims look at some teachings in that way.
Haha I was thinking the same thing. Don't know what he's waffling on about :wink:

lol heavy par there. I'm surprised no one has used that comeback before.
lol heavy par there. I'm surprised no one has used that comeback before.

Thaaanks man. I'm special you see
Thaaanks man. I'm special you see

Why are you choosing to be anonymous? :cool:
I'm not saying muslims take everything metaphorically. Just that some muslims take certain teachings metaphorically. I was meaning teachings like those that say/ imply that interfaith relationships are wrong. I myself am not passing judgement on whether things are a metaphor- just that some muslims look at some teachings in that way.

I'm not even sure how they'd pull off the interfaith relationship as a metaphor. It's pretty clear in the Quran/hadith. Tbf I've never even seen this one done as a metaphor.

Muslim women can't marry Christian men. Simple :tongue: And dating is forbidden, regardless of religion.
Reply 52
I am in a similar situation but the other way around and in a much worse position. I posted about my problem yesterday and I got some great advice but my advice to you would be that it is really really hard to get anywhere with this situation and I have experienced this myself. It is not just the faith issue that you will be confronted with but as you carry on and you fall in love with the person and you think about marriage, it will become a family issue. On one hand you may feel like you can take on the world and work miracles to be with that person forever but this world isn't all sunshine and rainbows and the longer it continues the more problems you will be confronted with.
I was the same age (first year of sixth form) when I got into a relationship with a Christian girl and nearly 6 years on you can't imagine how complicated it has become. I guess he being a Christian means he is not the same ethnicity as you?this will lead to even more problems.

I would be honest and say that right now you may be tempted to stay with him because of his personality and he seems to be the best out there and a whole lot of other reasons which outweigh the reasons to leave him but I would advise you to let him go (this is easier said than done) because, think about it yourself, what are the chances of anything actually happening between you two?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why are you choosing to be anonymous? :cool:

Coz I know I would get a lot of hate for speaking my views by certain people
I'm not even sure how they'd pull off the interfaith relationship as a metaphor. It's pretty clear in the Quran/hadith. Tbf I've never even seen this one done as a metaphor.

Muslim women can't marry Christian men. Simple :tongue: And dating is forbidden, regardless of religion.

But aren't some things like killing none believers ( or more violent verses in general) also pretty clear? And a lot of Muslims take them metaphorically as they see them as uncompatible with modern life. So couldn't they take something like the things you just said and take them as metaphorical for similar reasons?
Coz I know I would get a lot of hate for speaking my views by certain people

Do you hold views that some people would say are too extreme?
Original post by Az231
I am in a similar situation but the other way around and in a much worse position. I posted about my problem yesterday and I got some great advice but my advice to you would be that it is really really hard to get anywhere with this situation and I have experienced this myself. It is not just the faith issue that you will be confronted with but as you carry on and you fall in love with the person and you think about marriage, it will become a family issue. On one hand you may feel like you can take on the world and work miracles to be with that person forever but this world isn't all sunshine and rainbows and the longer it continues the more problems you will be confronted with.
I was the same age (first year of sixth form) when I got into a relationship with a Christian girl and nearly 6 years on you can't imagine how complicated it has become. I guess he being a Christian means he is not the same ethnicity as you?this will lead to even more problems.

I would be honest and say that right now you may be tempted to stay with him because of his personality and he seems to be the best out there and a whole lot of other reasons which outweigh the reasons to leave him but I would advise you to let him go (this is easier said than done) because, think about it yourself, what are the chances of anything actually happening between you two?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you do?
Do you hold views that some people would say are too extreme?

Idk. Im not even THAT religious tbh. But I do try.
Anon pls.. Can't be getting exposed

I'm muslim, but in a relationship with a Christian. I know its haram, but I honestly don't know what to do. I really really like him,and he means a lot to me. Is this relationship futile,is there any point carrying it on. We're both 17, so this very well could be an infatuation or whatever.

Any advice?

AsalaamAlaikum sis.

Please don't take this as patronising bearded sheikh TSR lecture - it isn't. Yes you're right, it's haram. I would stop the relationship. Look at this way:

1) You're 17. I understand a 17 year old can still love but who knows if you're with him in 2 years time? Some people on tsr have dated from 16 to 22 and then broken up. Relationships aren't all that.

2) let's say you don't break up. What then? How will your parents take it? Are you going to trade your fam for a boy if they don't accept it?

3)Say you got married. This marriage isn't acknowledged in Islam and you're effectively committing fornication ( major sin). As muslims we try to live life so that our afterlife is better. Would a couple decades with him be worth endangering that?

4) There are far more bad after effects of this relationship then there are positives. Honestly I'd say breakup. If you do it now rather then 2 years down the line, it'll hurt less.
Reply 59
What did you do?

Well I have no other option and it hurts to say it but to let her go. It is way over complicated and religion wise both of us are unwilling to change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending