The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Coffeetime
I can't even describe how happy I am. This is by far the best thing to ever happen to me. I have been to the UK, but not Manchester. I would love to visit but it's just so expensive and I need to save my money for university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great stuff :wink:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Biggz
Hey guys, if someone could answer this question, I would really appreciate it.

I am applying for MSc in Petroleum Geoscience, my question is, do I have to write a personal statement? Nowhere does it say that I have to, or don't have to write one, I just wanna double check. Can anyone confirm please!

You're applying for a masters course. Personal statements are usually only for undergraduate applications, so if there's no mention of a PS on your course's application form, there's no need to write one.

Original post by marco14196
Well I am a 2015 non conditional offer holder so I am pretty bloody happy. I was meant to start back in September on my Life Sciences Foundation Degree(was meant to do Biochem but my Chem A2 was a disaster, a lot of pre-existing factors at the time screwed my head up completely but thats not the point) but some medical issues as a result of a surgery I had back in June meant I had to leave, it was difficult to care for myself because of it. I am now more determined than ever to make it count when I finally return in 2015. I'll be amongst a younger cohort than myself(I'll be 19, I'll be ancient husk) but I'm really looking forward to coming back, the 4 days I was there were pretty good

19 isn't old! I started at Manchester aged 19, almost 20. It didn't make a difference at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I am a 2015 non conditional offer holder so I am pretty bloody happy. I was meant to start back in September on my Life Sciences Foundation Degree(was meant to do Biochem but my Chem A2 was a disaster, a lot of pre-existing factors at the time screwed my head up completely but thats not the point) but some medical issues as a result of a surgery I had back in June meant I had to leave, it was difficult to care for myself because of it. I am now more determined than ever to make it count when I finally return in 2015. I'll be amongst a younger cohort than myself(I'll be 19, I'll be ancient husk) but I'm really looking forward to coming back, the 4 days I was there were pretty good

I'll be 20 within weeks of uni and since I'm doing a foundation year, the cohort I'll be with for the start of the BSc/MSci course will be 3/4 years younger than me, considering that Manchester is such a large uni compared to most I doubt I'll feel old at all! Don't worry about it :smile:
Original post by Ki Yung Na
I'll be 20 within weeks of uni and since I'm doing a foundation year, the cohort I'll be with for the start of the BSc/MSci course will be 3/4 years younger than me, considering that Manchester is such a large uni compared to most I doubt I'll feel old at all! Don't worry about it :smile:

I'm not so much worried I'll be starting a year later than I intended, I think it may actually have been for the better in some ways
Any life science interview on 28th Jan? I wonder who will be there :3

:P
Original post by Makashima
Any life science interview on 28th Jan? I wonder who will be there :3

:P

I had my interview last year so if you want any pointers, just message back. Also if you want to know how the tour of the uni works
I had my interview last year so if you want any pointers, just message back. Also if you want to know how the tour of the uni works

Oooh hmmmmm I pretty know the touring bit as I live there anyway hehe, I'd like info during the interview ...Heard it's very informal? Which I suppose it's good...

They say they ask you some stuff which correspond to your personal statement D: I wrote that I read this book which Im not even half way finish D:

When you went, anyone dress too formal??? I will make sure I won't dress overly formal :P
Original post by Makashima
Oooh hmmmmm I pretty know the touring bit as I live there anyway hehe, I'd like info during the interview ...Heard it's very informal? Which I suppose it's good...

They say they ask you some stuff which correspond to your personal statement D: I wrote that I read this book which Im not even half way finish D:

When you went, anyone dress too formal??? I will make sure I won't dress overly formal :P

Well I dressed fairly smart for the day whilst keeping it fairly casual. No one overdressed, it was all fairly standard. In terms of stuff that corresponds with your personal statement, definitely bring something. During my interview which was originally for Biochem but I ended up on the Foundation Degree due to a chemistry exam disaster, I talked about my interest in pharmaceutical drugs that could combat viruses like HIV. I talked a fair bit about how HIV could be stopped potentially and really impressed my interviewer. Just try to keep cool, ask a few questions and you'll be fine. The interview will last up to 10 minutes and it is fairly informal, don't worry about being put in a closed room, you'll actually be in a regular teaching area. I think you'll enjoy the day, my day was only marred by the fact i had a painful locked jaw that day and the return train home back to my hometown was delayed nearly 2 hours so I didn't get back till 10 in the evening :smile:
Well I dressed fairly smart for the day whilst keeping it fairly casual. No one overdressed, it was all fairly standard. In terms of stuff that corresponds with your personal statement, definitely bring something. During my interview which was originally for Biochem but I ended up on the Foundation Degree due to a chemistry exam disaster, I talked about my interest in pharmaceutical drugs that could combat viruses like HIV. I talked a fair bit about how HIV could be stopped potentially and really impressed my interviewer. Just try to keep cool, ask a few questions and you'll be fine. The interview will last up to 10 minutes and it is fairly informal, don't worry about being put in a closed room, you'll actually be in a regular teaching area. I think you'll enjoy the day, my day was only marred by the fact i had a painful locked jaw that day and the return train home back to my hometown was delayed nearly 2 hours so I didn't get back till 10 in the evening :smile:

Ooooh your interview sound fantastic and impressive!
Meh, I don't know...I will go with the flow. I won't able to come up with the future of yours such as HIV etc...
Lel idk what i am doin O___o

Ah also did they ask like why you chose manchester?

Anyway thanks thanks!
Reply 1169
Merry Christmas everyone! Hope you have a nice day, and some nice acceptances :smile:
Merry Christmas all prospective Manchester offer holders and soon to be holders, and have a merry new year
I've got an offer to study physics :biggrin:
Well done! How long did it take? :smile:

Original post by themancunian
I've got an offer to study physics
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by themancunian
I've got an offer to study physics :biggrin:

hi5 fellow physician :biggrin: Congrats!
Original post by Ki Yung Na
Well done! How long did it take? :smile:

Thanks! Not that long if I'm honest! I got an offer for an interview the day after I sent my application off and then an actual offer a couple of weeks after the interview :smile:

Original post by rachelc142

Woo! Hello! Thanks :smile:
Original post by rachelc142

*physicist

physicians the the people who stick needles in you to make you better.

Wait is this interview something they have during the applicant visit day?? Better actually read all the crap I cited in my personal statement :colondollar:
Received an offer for English Literature and Drama back in November, grades AAB required with an A in English Lit. Anyone else get an offer for that course?
Original post by KingStannis
Wait is this interview something they have during the applicant visit day?? Better actually read all the crap I cited in my personal statement :colondollar:

Yep they interview on the visit day. you would have been given a letter for the visit day telling you that you would be interviewed to get on your course. Its quite an informal interview though, just be calm, relax, answer their questions(why are you on the course, where do you hope it will lead to etc.) And one thing. If they offer you a place, dont come out the room looking excited and telling your tour group youve been given an offer like I did, it can un nerve and upset a few people, big oops on my part.
About these open days, is people planning to come on their own or with their parents?

Latest

Trending

Trending