The Student Room Group

is it still possible for me to do a engineering degree?

I'm doing Economics, History, Chemistry and Maths and I was thinking about whether there was a small chance of me doing a degree relating to engineering. I know that Physics is pretty much essential for engineering and yet I'm not doing it. Is there a slight possibility of me being able to do engineering anymore or have I lost the chance? i know my chances are very slim.

Also, is there any way I can do Physics A level now at the same time as my other A-level subjects?
Reply 1
Original post by mchan0997
I'm doing Economics, History, Chemistry and Maths and I was thinking about whether there was a small chance of me doing a degree relating to engineering. I know that Physics is pretty much essential for engineering and yet I'm not doing it. Is there a slight possibility of me being able to do engineering anymore or have I lost the chance? i know my chances are very slim.

Also, is there any way I can do Physics A level now at the same time as my other A-level subjects?

you can still do engineering, some uni's don't require physics although it does make it easier for you if you have some prior knowledge but it's certainly not the end of the world as youre taught what you need to know anyway.
There are a few foundation programs which will allow you to get in, there are also a few degrees which don't require physics and only maths but personally I'd recommend having the extra prior knowledge. You could however do ChemE or BioE/BiomedE where chemistry would probably fulfill the requirement.

On doing A level physics now, you could ask your school if you could drop two of your subjects and then do both AS and A2 physics in one year, or AS in year 13 and A2 in a gap year.
Have you considered Electronics Engineering? A lot of universities can accept A-level Chemistry if you didn't do Physics, e.g York and Southampton.
Reply 4
Original post by Helloworld_95
There are a few foundation programs which will allow you to get in, there are also a few degrees which don't require physics and only maths but personally I'd recommend having the extra prior knowledge. You could however do ChemE or BioE/BiomedE where chemistry would probably fulfill the requirement.

On doing A level physics now, you could ask your school if you could drop two of your subjects and then do both AS and A2 physics in one year, or AS in year 13 and A2 in a gap year.

Is it even possible to do both as and a2 physics like that?
Original post by mchan0997
Is it even possible to do both as and a2 physics like that?

Yes, some Colleges will do a 1 year as and a2 course (so as in autumn, a2 in spring), there will also be some who will allow you to do as and a2 concurrently.
Original post by History98
Have you considered Electronics Engineering? A lot of universities can accept A-level Chemistry if you didn't do Physics, e.g York and Southampton.

I'm pretty sure physics is a major component of EE.
Without Physics your best option would be ChemE, wouldn't recommend doing Biochem/Biomed until masters level tbh
Physics won't help much, for ChemE at least. A reasonably strong maths background, however, is essential.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tadpole123
I'm pretty sure physics is a major component of EE.
Without Physics your best option would be ChemE, wouldn't recommend doing Biochem/Biomed until masters level tbh

Yes, Physics is a major component of Electronics but that doesn't mean you can't do Electronics without A-Level Physics, the OP would just have to work hard to pick up the skills whilst on the course.There are people who do Electronics without Physics and succeed on the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending