The Student Room Group

Can a man ever forgive a woman for aborting his child?

Scroll to see replies

It depends. If the condom broke and she wanted to abort, fair-play. If she knew she was going to get pregnant and knew my opinion while aborting the baby I wouldn't forgive her.
my seed is a gift.. i've got unlimited swimmers so f it if she doesn't want it someone else will.
Reply 102
Original post by minimarshmallow
Not in the slightest.

The male recipient owns 50 percent of the baby by aborting the child in spite of her partner's wishes the woman is exercising her right to be selfish and self-involved.

The woman is the container she can't eject the child without consulting the other party that have an active interest in the holdings of that container.
Reply 103
Original post by Mr Wrong
The male recipient owns 50 percent of the baby by aborting the child in spite of her partner's wishes the woman is exercising her right to be selfish and self-involved.

The woman is the container she can't eject the child without consulting the other party that have an active interest in the holdings of that container.

And forcing your partner to endure pregnancy and childbirth in spite of their wishes isn't being selfish and self involved? :rolleyes:
Original post by joker12345
That is 9 months, as opposed to a literal lifetime of parenthood. I obviously don't think women should be legally or medically denied abortions, but the father is not unreasonable if he feels that he can't forgive someone for aborting his child.

The effects of pregnancy do not necessary end immediately after the birth. Sometimes complications can last for years, even a lifetime. In addition to that, can you imagine the psychological impact of being forced to have a baby you don't want?

Original post by lucaf
And forcing your partner to endure pregnancy and childbirth in spite of their wishes isn't being selfish and self involved? :rolleyes:

Firstly, this.

Secondly, the woman is not comparable to just a container. A simple container is not going to go through any trauma, and then be responsible for it's contents after it has been removed.

He has an interest in the foetus, this does not translate in any way to owning her body in the slightest.

A man should make his feelings known, and if she were to go against these feelings then he would have a right to be upset or angry (not cause her any harm, physical or otherwise) and break up with her for a difference of beliefs.
He does not have the final say.

Do you realise how misogynistic you're being? You claim men own women's bodies when they're in relationships, and now you call women 'containers'. Pretty outrageous comments really.

Funnily enough though, I agree that men deserve a big say in any issue of abortion. The idea of having my child terminated without my consent or without having even been consulted is quite sickening to me. With that said, in a situation of deadlock, the woman should probably have the ultimate say as she is the one who has to carry the baby after all. I would just go separate ways from her after that kind of disagreement most likely.
Reply 107
Original post by Nuvertion
So tell me why you wrote 'men can be so amusing'? Any normal person would've wrote 'people can be so amusing', unless of course that person had an irrational hate towards a certain group of people and had a sad, pathetic agenda they wanted to spread. What if I wrote 'black people can be so amusing' or 'gay people can be so amusing', what would you say then?

^^^^this^^^^
Original post by Reluire
Do you realise how misogynistic you're being? You claim men own women's bodies when they're in relationships, and now you call women 'containers'. Pretty outrageous comments really.

Funnily enough though, I agree that men deserve a big say in any issue of abortion. The idea of having my child terminated without my consent or without having even been consulted is quite sickening to me. With that said, in a situation of deadlock, the woman should probably have the ultimate say as she is the one who has to carry the baby after all. I would just go separate ways from her after that kind of disagreement most likely.

As someone who is almost 100% certain she doesn't want children, and who takes a contraceptive, and who would put abortion very high up at the top of her list of options if she found she was pregnant, I would support your decision to leave me if we have a disagreement about this but I went through with it anyway.
If a woman decides she doesn't want a baby, she can abort it without the husband's permission. And yet, if the man doesn't want the child, he will be forced to pay child support, because, they say, it takes two people to make a baby. Which is true. And men shouldn't be allowed to abandon their responsibilities. However, the same is true for the woman. She shouldn't be allowed to abandon her responsibilities of caring for the human who is alive. It takes two to make a baby, and the man should have an equal say in whether or not the child is aborted, because it is his child too. He can't force a woman to get an abortion, and she shouldn't force him to have his child aborted.

For those who say that men should have no say, then I say that men shouldn't have to pay child support. If abortion is a woman's way out of her responsibility, then men should be allowed to simply leave, to get out of their responsibility.
Original post by chocolatesauce
If a woman decides she doesn't want a baby, she can abort it without the husband's permission. And yet, if the man doesn't want the child, he will be forced to pay child support, because, they say, it takes two people to make a baby. Which is true. And men shouldn't be allowed to abandon their responsibilities. However, the same is true for the woman. She shouldn't be allowed to abandon her responsibilities of caring for the human who is alive. It takes two to make a baby, and the man should have an equal say in whether or not the child is aborted, because it is his child too. He can't force a woman to get an abortion, and she shouldn't force him to have his child aborted.

For those who say that men should have no say, then I say that men shouldn't have to pay child support. If abortion is a woman's way out of her responsibility, then men should be allowed to simply leave, to get out of their responsibility.

Agreed. But I still don't think that a man leaving a pregnant woman is right. Maybe if it was intended to be a short term thing and she wanted to keep the baby, but if they were in a legitimate relationship and he got scared because she got knocked up that's a dick move.
Original post by Protégé
Agreed. But I still don't think that a man leaving a pregnant woman is right. Maybe if it was intended to be a short term thing and she wanted to keep the baby, but if they were in a legitimate relationship and he got scared because she got knocked up that's a dick move.

No the thread is about aborting the baby against the man will
Original post by chocolatesauce

From any point of view - you can't say that it's really the same for a man as it is for a woman for multiple reasons. The man isn't going to feel the physical effect of child birth nor carrying the baby for 9 months (it probably won't halt his career as well). Also, the man could potentially leave before the child is born, while the woman doesn't have that choice (he could ask her to keep the child, he could leave when it's too late to get an abortion, she would be stuck with a child that she didn't want but he did)

You really do have to take these things into consideration instead of saying it's a 50/50 split.

But, honestly, it would probably be better for couples to talk through these things beforehand so they are on the same page (before it's too late to do so).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ☺Cat☺
From any point of view - you can't say that it's really the same for a man as it is for a woman for multiple reasons. The man isn't going to feel the physical effect of child birth nor carrying the baby for 9 months (it probably won't halt his career as well). Also, the man could potentially leave before the child is born, while the woman doesn't have that choice (he could ask her to keep the child, he could leave when it's too late to get an abortion, she would be stuck with a child that she didn't want but he did)

You really do have to take these things into consideration instead of saying it's a 50/50 split.

But, honestly, it would probably be better for couples to talk through these things beforehand so they are on the same page (before it's too late to do so).

The man can't simply leave the child they have to pay child support and the woman could also possibly leave the child.I think its unfair to give women the choice to abort a baby simply because they get to carry it that seems unfair as men can't carry babies thus can never get the choice whether to have a baby.Women get several perks of being the sex that carries the baby eg.more maternity leave generally to look after baby, women have a biological advantage that makes them have a longer life expectancy which you could say makes up for having to carry the babies women can't simply play the game to get the perks of Biology without the consequences.
Original post by Meyrin
You're even more amusing.

That's right, completely ignore my question. I'm sure most people are 'amusing' compared to you. No doubt you bore your family and friends with your twisted view of the world.
I'm pretty sure any woman in their right mind who found themselves in a position where their partner was angry with them for not carrying round a baby for nine months and potentially wrecking their body in the process would just leave. That is not a healthy relationship...
This happened to a couple I knew.
He was devastated and left her.
I know it is her that has to carry it but she knew he wanted a child and secretly had an abortion.
Top tip girls, don't tell anyone, especially your closest friend.
I know it can't happen this way, but if you area woman who has been trying for a baby and you get pregnant.
Imagine your joy. Now imagine he has the power to end the babies life without your say so, and does so, because it isn't the right time in his career. Do you think you could forgive him?
Original post by caravaggio2

I know it can't happen this way, but if you area woman who has been trying for a baby and you get pregnant.
Imagine your joy. Now imagine he has the power to end the babies life without your say so, and does so, because it isn't the right time in his career. Do you think you could forgive him?

Not really comparable, since the man would have to do something to the woman's body to abort the baby, almost certainly with side-effects.

Plus his career wouldn't necessarily have to be affected. Most men want to take time off for their baby, but women pretty much have to.
It's not like they couldn't just make another. :colone:
Original post by Philbert
Not really comparable, since the man would have to do something to the woman's body to abort the baby, almost certainly with side-effects.

Plus his career wouldn't necessarily have to be affected. Most men want to take time off for their baby, but women pretty much have to.

I think the point the other poster was making is to imagine only the emotional pain/feelings you'd go through if a man had ended the life of your baby, when you were happy and excited about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending