Scroll to see replies

So who here wants to do Dentistry?

Ayeye
Original post by Jitesh
So who here wants to do Dentistry?

Ayeye

Wwww, do I sense a Medic Vs. Dental student comp coming on?:wink:
Original post by Izzyyyyy
Oh ew ������ AH well will just have to do put up with it I guess. And I want to do GapMedics in summer 2016 :wink:

I want to do GapMedics too! For Dentistry though!

My cousin's girlfriend did it a couple years ago - she really enjoyed it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
Wwww, do I sense a Medic Vs. Dental student comp coming on?:wink:

It has to happen!

Haven't read the replies today to the thread, but I assume you want to do medicine? :wink:
Original post by Jitesh
It has to happen!

Haven't read the replies today to the thread, but I assume you want to do medicine? :wink:

Yeah you got it! Without being rude, why did you pick dentistry over medicine, 9-5 I presume?:"):wink:
Is anyone on here looking to do arts or humanities? Or are you all sciency people lol
Yeah you got it! Without being rude, why did you pick dentistry over medicine, 9-5 I presume?:"):wink:

I'm in year 11 still, so haven't 'picked' anything!

But I would like to be a dentist, yes.

It just seems really interesting from Work Experience so far, but I would be content with doing either.

Maybe even both: Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons require both degrees :eek:
Original post by Jitesh
I'm in year 11 still, so haven't 'picked' anything!

But I would like to be a dentist, yes.

It just seems really interesting from Work Experience so far, but I would be content with doing either.

Maybe even both: Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons require both degrees :eek:

By picked I meant why do you want to be a dentist over a medic. Geeez that's oioe what, 9 years of studying just to do both the medical and dental degrees. Presumably you'd do 5year dental and 4 year graduate entry for medicine?
By picked I meant why do you want to be a dentist over a medic. Geeez that's oioe what, 9 years of studying just to do both the medical and dental degrees. Presumably you'd do 5year dental and 4 year graduate entry for medicine?

yeah I got told by someone the average age for a qualified maxifacs surgeon is 37!

But I also got told by a Dentist that it's a "dying profession" - he wanted to do maxifacs but didn't in the end. He told me how other medics can pretty much do a lot of the stuff maxifacs used to cover nowadays - which I guess is right.

I did some shadowing in the dental hospital by me, and I was able to talk to a lot of BDS students which helped confirm my interest in dentistry :redface:
Original post by Steliata
Is anyone on here looking to do arts or humanities? Or are you all sciency people lol

That's TSR for you...about 90% of people on here are sciency people. :tongue: Me included.
Original post by usycool1
That's TSR for you...about 90% of people on here are sciency people. :tongue: Me included.

What a levels do you want to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jitesh
What a levels do you want to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done my A-Levels; I'm starting Medicine in September/October. :smile:

Ooh lovely! Why did you pick medicine instead of dentistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jitesh
Ooh lovely! Why did you pick medicine instead of dentistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Without wanting to offend the dentists on here, I think Medicine offers more variety than Dentistry so would interest me more. :smile:
Without wanting to offend the dentists on here, I think Medicine offers more variety than Dentistry so would interest me more. :smile:

Ah, that's true

Mind me asking how much work experience you did/voluntary work?

You're so lucky😍 congratulations! What are your stats?

Haha fair enough, suppose the few people that want to talk about their education are either extremely intelligent, needing support with choices and procedures or both :rolleyes:
Original post by Jitesh
yeah I got told by someone the average age for a qualified maxifacs surgeon is 37!

But I also got told by a Dentist that it's a "dying profession" - he wanted to do maxifacs but didn't in the end. He told me how other medics can pretty much do a lot of the stuff maxifacs used to cover nowadays - which I guess is right.

I did some shadowing in the dental hospital by me, and I was able to talk to a lot of BDS students which helped confirm my interest in dentistry :redface:

I was considering dentistry and have some work experience next year. Is it more competitive than medicine because there are less dental schools? Also is it a guaranteed job at the end because with medicine you do foundation training but is it the same with dentistry?
Original post by Jitesh
Ah, that's true

Mind me asking how much work experience you did/voluntary work?

I guess it's different between each individual though. Dentistry is also an extremely good career path to follow, just not one that interests me personally. :nah:

Not at all...I'll list it for you and describe what I saw:

Work experience:

- Some time in Renal Medicine in the local hospital where I live (saw kidney biopsies and insertion of dialysis lines into patients as well as shadowing doctors on their ward rounds etc.).

- Some time in Cardiology in a Military Hospital in Pakistan (saw insertion of pacemaker...basically an artificial heart into patients who's heart isn't working that well and shadowing docs on their ward round).

- Some time in ER (A&E, as it is known in the UK) in Pakistan again. This was probably the most shocking one for me...I saw someone die basically after suffering a cardiac arrest. :sadnod:

- Some time in a GP surgery. Before I did this, I wasn't expecting it to be that interesting. I actually enjoyed it a LOT though. It's no where near as intense as the environment in a hospital but it was still very interesting. :smile:

Voluntary:

- Helped out with assisting elderly patients at a GP surgery.
- Tutored kids in Maths and Chemistry in my free time.
- Helped out with the Samaritans.
- Helped out with this Medical Research project in my free time.

I don't have nearly as much voluntary work as others, but the key is to mention what you gain out of your experiences in your PS as opposed to that quantity that you did. Try to get varied experience if you can, you end up seeing a lot more that way. It's also good fun getting work experience, I really enjoyed mine. :tongue:

You're so lucky congratulations! What are your stats?

Thanks. :h:

GCSEs: 8A*s, 3A's
A-Levels (achieved): A*A*A*AAA (no need to do this many...I did so for my own, weird reasons. :tongue:).

I applied last year too but ended up with 4 pre-interview rejections so decided to take a gap year. This time around, I have an offer at Plymouth and interviews at Imperial and SGUL in the next couple of months. Waiting to hear from Liverpool. :h:

Voluntary/work experience stuff is above.

If you or anyone else has any questions regarding Medicine (I guess you could try me with Dentistry too but I may not have the answers :tongue:) applications, feel free to ask. :smile:

Original post by Steliata
Haha fair enough, suppose the few people that want to talk about their education are either extremely intelligent, needing support with choices and procedures or both :rolleyes:

:tongue: You done your mocks yet (I can't remember if I've asked you :colondollar:)? :smile:

xx

Merry Christmas! :wavey:

Latest