The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JamesR12
I think the main issue is that we've not gone after high calibre - we've not gone after any calibre. We've made just one midfield signing since Allen in Rodgers' first window. 5 windows and all we have to show for it is Allen - who's a top 4 squad player in the right system, and Can who's been somewhat ludicrously underplayed. Rodgers needs to address the fact that Gerrard can not be a permanent fixture in our midfield and neither can Lucas and neither can Allen. Rodgers just doesn't see our midfield as a problem - he didn't see Lucas-Gerrard as an issue last season when we were stuttering along at a top 4 pace in the first half of the year (as soon as we started playing with one of them in midfield we hit title-contending form). Both players have regressed since then and yet we're still stuck with them as our midfield duo.

I would defend the selling of Agger. He was a good ball player but a mediocre defender and one whose time at the club was naturally ending. I advocate the decision completely. The Lovren signing has failed spectacularly but where Rodgers has ****ed up himself is Sakho being underplayed until now and the continued persistence with Skrtel - Lovren for far too long a period of time. The truth about Sakho is that he is an immense defender. Thoroughbred, international calibre defender. In France he starts above Koscielny and they conceded one goal with him on the pitch at the WC, a set piece which was the fault of Varane (in the quarter, Koscielny came on for 20 minutes and they immediately conceded 3 haha). He has all the physical attributes required and he's a natural leader. He's not perfect but he's the best defender at our club by a country mile. What he needs is a partner - Skrtel is not it, and never will be. Lovren (of last season) and Sakho have a similar style of play and that was the intended pairing (in most people's minds anyway) when Lovren was signed. I can't tell you what's gone wrong with Lovren but I doubt we'll see a resurgence this year, he looks a broken man. Sakho - Toure should be our CB partnership, based on form, let alone everything else.

Rodgers doesn't have the balls to drop Gerrard especially not now due to our poor form this season and if we were to lose with Gerrard not starting the media and a lot of the fans would be wanting BR's head. I think Gerrard should be dropped since more often than not he doesn't contribute much and at times is a detriment to the team. He's turning 35 at the end of this season as well. Can was solid today in the second half, a few loose balls but apart from that he did well to keep Boyd quiet. I really like the look of Can and I'd like to see him start on Monday night. It'll be interesting to see who we go for in January and in the summer. I hope BR doesn't just buy young talent but rather players who can hit the ground running and immediately improve the team.

Sakho has been injured for most of this season (since the Everton game back in Sept) so that's why he hasn't featured. He looks far more comfortable when playing now which is good to see, he's seemed to have found his feet and settled in this season. Lovren should have been dropped way earlier in favour of Toure whilst Sakho was injured, a player playing with low confidence in a team which is under performing has done nothing to help Lovren settle in. That's BR's fault for forcing the Lovren-Skrtel partnership when it was obvious it wouldn't work out. He's at a club with much bigger expectations and he needs time to get used to it, not his fault for being thrown in the deep end. I think we'll see a resurgence in the second half of the season. Once our defence has a settled back line and Sturridge is back it would be a good time to slowly ease Lovren to partner with Sakho. The time out for Lovren should help him get himself together and hopefully in training he can get used to playing with Sakho. But at the moment I also agree that Skaho and Toure should be the CB pairing, they are so much more composed on the ball and when making challenges.
We will never see another like Steven Gerrard.

The slip is probably the greatest tragedy in football history. If there was one man who just did not deserve that.

Honestly when I saw him slip and then Ba scored I felt so gutted for Gerrard. :frown:

He's an absolute legend.
[video="youtube;rq-pX65oyaU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq-pX65oyaU[/video]
Original post by The.Joker
Honestly when I saw him slip and then Ba scored I felt so gutted for Gerrard. :frown:

He's an absolute legend.
[video="youtube;rq-pX65oyaU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq-pX65oyaU[/video]

Gerrard is just <3

Was so gutted for him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zerforax
Wonder what the mystery injury was for B.Jones? Mignolet looks shaky as ever which is not a good sign.

That goal-kick he conceded was absolutely horrific. It may be the single worst thing I've seen at Turf Moor since Djimi's own goal.
Original post by Obiejess
Gerrard is just <3

Was so gutted for him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm still not over the fact we weren't able to win the PL last season. :bawling:
Shame Ojo didn't get a run out, by the way.

It was around this time last year that Brad Smith came on and was woeful at Stamford Bridge, though, so maybe it's a blessing in disguise.
I'm still not over the fact we weren't able to win the PL last season. :bawling:

Ik. Ik.

Especially with the stupid slippy gerrard comments ALL THE TIME.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thought we'd never see a win in that yellow kit...
Reply 7628

Makes it worse that we're now a shadow of last season's side.
Good god, watching MOTD and todays fixtures has been one of the worst displays of refereeing. It's like the refs were still on their xmas break.
Original post by samir12
Good god, watching MOTD and todays fixtures has been one of the worst displays of refereeing. It's like the refs were still on their xmas break.

Clearly they'd been drinking last night and they'd left their glasses at home. Absolutely shocking refereeing today.
Lucas and Skrtel between them are the worst spine of the team in the world.

Shy out of challenges, back off, slow and clumsy. Disgraceful. We knew this 3 years ago and we're still stuck with them. Absolute mediocrity.

I've never been sold on Lucas and Skrtel is a mistake waiting to happen in every single game.
The sad thing is that right now they are both players that need to be in our team; we simply don't have anybody else that could do a better job.
No convincing CBs and Gerrard can't play DM anywhere near the standard needed.

I maintain that DM is one of the most essential positions in the entire pitch - all of the top teams in the world have a real quality player to break up play and protect their defence (Busquettes, Alonso, Matic, etc...)
It's painfully obvious when a team (i.e: liverpool/arsenal) doesn't have the quality in that position and it leaves defences seriously exposed by 3-5 attacking players plus fullbacks overrunning them in their own half.

Just out of interest, have we had a Toure/Sakho partnership before?
No he's not.

Skrtel backs off, and backs off, and backs off, until the attacker has a free shot at goal from 10 yards out, and it's hard to miss from that range. He's nowhere near the standard of defender that Cahill is. He's mediocre. He gets portrayed as this Vidic type hard man and in reality he gets bullied by the likes of Carlton ****ing Cole. He's mediocre in every sense.

That has nothing to do with the point im making, cahill is usually at fault for goals because of backing up too much which is what skrtel gets accused of.

Im not saying that skrtel is as talented as cahill. Just that the style od play is similar
The game was terrible yesterday by all accounts. The highlights on MOTD were enough to convince me I'm glad I was at work and didn't stream it.
Mignolet on MOTD was like a comedy sketch!!! He really is impersonating a professional footballer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mignolet was terrible yesterday but surely it isn't hard for Brendan Rodgers to just tell Mignolet to kick it up the field to a target man because their play is too slow and they need numbers up the field with 'offensive possession' of the ball. Clearly Sterling struggles up front on his own due to his poor physique and needs somebody next to him. Sturridge and Sterling really should be the pairing, but Balotelli/Lambert and Sterling could work too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
That has nothing to do with the point im making, cahill is usually at fault for goals because of backing up too much which is what skrtel gets accused of.

Im not saying that skrtel is as talented as cahill. Just that the style od play is similar

You said something along the lines of 'blame the midfield not Skrtel' and that's just ludicrous. Defenders are there to defend, not to be mollycoddled by a midfield.

I don't watch Cahill for 90 minutes a week but his issues to do with backing off and off are nothing remotely like Skrtel's and they're just not comparable players at all.

Classic Jam statement whereby 'X player is just another Y player'. (Henderson = Ramires, Skrtel = Cahill, Sterling = Willian, and those are just the ones since I've been posting for the last week and a bit). Footballers don't have to be categorised like that. Idk why you do it.
You said something along the lines of 'blame the midfield not Skrtel' and that's just ludicrous. Defenders are there to defend, not to be mollycoddled by a midfield.

I don't watch Cahill for 90 minutes a week but his issues to do with backing off and off are nothing remotely like Skrtel's and they're just not comparable players at all.

Classic Jam statement whereby 'X player is just another Y player'. (Henderson = Ramires, Skrtel = Cahill, Sterling = Willian, and those are just the ones since I've been posting for the last week and a bit). Footballers don't have to be categorised like that. Idk why you do it.

So if your protection is Lucas and Gerrard you're going to be exposed more its as simple as that. Terry and Cahill have Matic to protect them before he gets put in one on one situations see what happens when Mikel gets put in for a game instead of Matic. That's not to say they are not better individual defenders.

Cahill's issues with backing off is similar to skrtels though, I watch him for 90mins most weeks and can say that if Matic and Terry weren't there to hold his hand he'll get exposed(see the Balotelli goal at the world cup e.g.). Did not say at any point that they are the same level though just that their issues are similar.

Sterling is another Willian, they have similar attributes, work hard, can play across the front line, direct, lack end product/weak finishing, I said he is better and would surpass him a lot but they have a similar style of play on the ball. Quite a valid comparison to make and saying classic Jam statement doesn't make it any less valid than it actually is.

Tell me how they are not similar and then we can have a decent discussion x
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
I maintain that DM is one of the most essential positions in the entire pitch - all of the top teams in the world have a real quality player to break up play and protect their defence (Busquettes, Alonso, Matic, etc...)

That's just a bit of a nothing statement - it's widely acknowledged that the 'spine' of the team, being your GK, CBs, DM/CMs and strikers are the most important positions... so all you're saying is that a good DM is more important than good full backs and good wingers. Which is nothing new?

Top teams eg Madrid don't play with a typical DM at they're on a 20+ game win streak, Arsenal have been consistent at the top tier for the best part of the decade without a quality DM and weaker teams like Soton do have a top class DM so it's not really like 'good DM and only a good DM = having a top team'. Key position for sure but no more so than striker or centre backs. I'd argue both of those are more important, and maybe goalkeeper too if you look at how De Gea has earned United 10 or more points this year and how important Courtois was for Atletico.
Original post by jam277
So if your protection is Lucas and Gerrard you're going to be exposed more its as simple as that. Terry and Cahill have Matic to protect them before he gets put in one on one situations see what happens when Mikel gets put in for a game instead of Matic. That's not to say they are not better individual defenders.

Cahill's issues with backing off is similar to skrtels though, I watch him for 90mins most weeks and can say that if Matic and Terry weren't there to hold his hand he'll get exposed(see the Balotelli goal at the world cup e.g.). Did not say at any point that they are the same level though just that their issues are similar.

Sterling is another Willian, they have similar attributes, work hard, can play across the front line, direct, lack end product/weak finishing, I said he is better and would surpass him but they have a similar style of play on the ball. Quite a valid comparison to make and saying classic Jam statement doesn't make it any less valid than it actually is.

Cahill has proved his worth in one on one situations in the CL for ages. His performance vs Messi was vintage. The Balotelli goal was nothing to do with backing off? Regardless, I've seen people run at him and his problems are nothing like Skrtel's.

Cba for the Sterling thing and in general your need to categorise players/burning desire to be able to say they're akin to another player is just not necessary.

Quick Reply

Latest