The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Izzyyyyy
Well I have not done much so far. I did a months work experience at this place in Brazil working with disabled children (feeding, administering medicines, etc), and I have volunteered at a charity shop for a year but that's about it.

I have emailed a local care home about volunteering there and they replied saying they need to check their age restrictions but it should be fine, so I should be starting there soon. I also emailed my local hospice and have not heard back yet. I also wanna volunteer for the red cross.

Clinically, my hospital runs work experience so I am in the process of applying to that (they have a form where you have to write 1000 words etc), and I am going to ask my GP IF I can shadow him :smile: what about you?

Not much, 1 week with BA at Waterside (IT - lol not related oh well) and 4 days at the Dental Hospital.
Hopefully I'll do a week at my orthodontist, and an ongoing thing at my Dentist (if they're fine with it)

I'll need to find a hospice/care home to volunteer at, or a charity shop or something...

Will look after these mocks in January though :smile:

I have some family who are dentists/orthodotnists and one training as a maxifacs surgeon (I think), who I guess I could bug if I get desperate :smile:

The Brazil work experience sounded really good! Mind me asking how you got that?
Original post by Edminzodo
I'm sorry! I didn't know! :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's alright. Just thought I'd bring it up to you on here than through a warning card. It's a stupid rule, so I apologise on behalf of the mods who disagree with it having to enforce it :hat2:
Original post by Purple-Pixie
Me! I can't stand Maths and Science :colondollar: What A Levels are you planning on doing? I'm definitely going to do English Lit, Psychology and Sociology; however I'm trying to decide between R.S, Spanish, Politics and History for my fourth one and I really don't know which one to choose!

I'm planning on doing Politics, Chinese, Philosophy and Ethics and Music. Quite varied lol :colondollar:

In terms of your fourth option, I'd say do what you enjoy the most and want to carry on into your job... But if that's totally unhelpful, I say Spanish. Reasons:
1. You already have three essay subjects. I'm thinking about the welfare of your hand here.
2. You already have two social sciences so politics might be overkill.
3. Everyone loves a linguist! :ahee: I'm not kidding though, if you enjoy languages just throw yourself into it. It will be hard but you'll come out the end with at least semi fluency in Spanish! (hopefully)

Original post by UltimateLad1
Hi guys

who's staying at their schools sixth form? Who's moving to college next year?

Thanks

I'm staying at my schools sixth form because it's the only place in the area that does Chinese apart from Queens (a private all girls school which I don't like)
Reply 3123
Original post by UltimateLad1
Definitely leaving my school for sixth form rubbish teachers not wasting 2 years there

Is woodhouse and st doms good?

st doms is good im applying but they dont do food tech which is a bummer but ill apply anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
:ninja:

:wavey:
Original post by ha27
st doms is good im applying but they dont do food tech which is a bummer but ill apply anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh cool
Original post by Steliata
I'm planning on doing Politics, Chinese, Philosophy and Ethics and Music. Quite varied lol :colondollar:

In terms of your fourth option, I'd say do what you enjoy the most and want to carry on into your job... But if that's totally unhelpful, I say Spanish. Reasons:
1. You already have three essay subjects. I'm thinking about the welfare of your hand here.
2. You already have two social sciences so politics might be overkill.
3. Everyone loves a linguist! :ahee: I'm not kidding though, if you enjoy languages just throw yourself into it. It will be hard but you'll come out the end with at least semi fluency in Spanish! (hopefully)

Ah okay, good options :smile:

Thank you for the help! I'm not sure if I'm good enough at Spanish to do it at A Level though and I don't like the grammar. Overall, I tend to get B's (this was my result in the Year 10 exam and in the Year 11 mocks) although I sometimes get A* in the writing tasks that we do in class (my teacher is quite a generous marker though!).
Original post by Jitesh
Not much, 1 week with BA at Waterside (IT - lol not related oh well) and 4 days at the Dental Hospital.
Hopefully I'll do a week at my orthodontist, and an ongoing thing at my Dentist (if they're fine with it)

I'll need to find a hospice/care home to volunteer at, or a charity shop or something...

Will look after these mocks in January though :smile:

I have some family who are dentists/orthodotnists and one training as a maxifacs surgeon (I think), who I guess I could bug if I get desperate :smile:

The Brazil work experience sounded really good! Mind me asking how you got that?

Oh that sounds really good! And as I have grandparents living in Brazil and their best friend founded the organisation, they organised it ☺️ I don't have any direct doctors in the family, although both my parents work in the NHS and I have an auntie who is a research scientist 😉 I am always bugging my parents to ask about work experience which is how I got hold of the form as they don't make it available online
Oh that sounds really good! And as I have grandparents living in Brazil and their best friend founded the organisation, they organised it ☺️ I don't have any direct doctors in the family, although both my parents work in the NHS and I have an auntie who is a research scientist ������ I am always bugging my parents to ask about work experience which is how I got hold of the form as they don't make it available online

How old were you when you did that? I want to do something similar but most places only take people who are 16 so I will have to wait for 2 months before I can. :frown:
Oh that sounds really good! And as I have grandparents living in Brazil and their best friend founded the organisation, they organised it ☺️ I don't have any direct doctors in the family, although both my parents work in the NHS and I have an auntie who is a research scientist 😉 I am always bugging my parents to ask about work experience which is how I got hold of the form as they don't make it available online

It sounds really good, I assume you did it in the summer holidays?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SassQueen13
:ninja:

:wavey:

:ninjagirl:
Original post by Gingerbread101
:ninjagirl:

I'm in Year 11...of course :awesome:
So, how many of you guys work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SampleX

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did work, but quit because I was underpaid and my boss was a religious nutjob.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SampleX

I don't. I want to, to generate myself some reasonable income and be more independent (we're well off, but I feel bad just getting money from my parents) but around here, work for under 16s is really underpaid and I'm not sixteen until late August. So I must wait.

I'm totally in year 11 :lol: Well, I'm not that far off, only in year 12 :tongue: but I'm allowed to stalk these forums as I'm CA here :lol: what's your excuse missus? :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was your favourite part of year 11? 😂
Original post by Gingerbread101
I'm totally in year 11 :lol: Well, I'm not that far off, only in year 12 :tongue: but I'm allowed to stalk these forums as I'm CA here :lol: what's your excuse missus? :holmes:

:lol: T'aww you still so tiny :giggle: You keep telling yourself that :wink:
:innocent: I um...want to feel young forever :ahee:

Original post by Jitesh
Posted from TSR Mobile

What was your favourite part of year 11?

Toughie!! I guess generally...prom :biggrin:
Personally it was just an enjoyable year for me :h:
Original post by SampleX

Posted from TSR Mobile

If only I could >_< People under 16 aren't allowed to work here, not even for gaining work experience. We can only give tuitions to others if we want to, but my parents don't even allow me that *sigh*.
:lol: T'aww you still so tiny :giggle: You keep telling yourself that :wink:
:innocent: I um...want to feel young forever :ahee:

Toughie!! I guess generally...prom :biggrin:
Personally it was just an enjoyable year for me :h:

Oh, I guess the prom is the obvious part!

How's Lit going? I can only imagine all the reading and analysis you have to do! :s-smilie:

Latest