The Student Room Group

Language A-Levels

Hi

I am making my A-Level choices soon and I'm thinking of doing languages: French and German (as well as Maths and DT.) I understand that the languages will be hard work but I have already got an A* in German and I should get the same in French. Would anyone be able to advise me on the languages; my main concern is whether I will be good enough to succeed especially in listening exercises?

Hi, I don't take German or French, but I take Spanish AS. From experience, I can tell you that even with an A* at GCSE, languages can be hard work. But that's not to say don't take a language! :colondollar: If you're willing to put in the effort, you will find it easier.
I don't know how the language teachers at your college/sixth form will do things, but I know at my college, we get given at least one listening homework a week, so we can get used to the speed and pronunciation.
If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask me; I know how hard it is to pick A Levels!
So worth.

Not even that hard.

Good choices!
AS MFL is a hugeeee leap from GCSE.

But its worth it.

If you enjoy learning about the stories behind the language.

Go for it!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by name not valid
Hi, I don't take German or French, but I take Spanish AS. From experience, I can tell you that even with an A* at GCSE, languages can be hard work. But that's not to say don't take a language! :colondollar: If you're willing to put in the effort, you will find it easier.
I don't know how the language teachers at your college/sixth form will do things, but I know at my college, we get given at least one listening homework a week, so we can get used to the speed and pronunciation.
If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask me; I know how hard it is to pick A Levels!

Hi

Thanks all for the replies. I definitely will take the two languages now! Can I ask what else you do for AS?

Thanks
Original post by cristin_marks
Hi

Thanks all for the replies. I definitely will take the two languages now! Can I ask what else you do for AS?

Thanks

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I also do (did) Maths, along with all the sciences, and History too.

So if you need any advice on those, I can help
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I also do (did) Maths, along with all the sciences, and History too.

So if you need any advice on those, I can help

Thanks! How much of a step up from GCSE is Maths A - Level?
Thanks! How much of a step up from GCSE is Maths A - Level?

C1 is just an extension onto GCSE with some extra topics added on.

C2 is where A Level maths starts in a way, new ideas, but nothing too hard at all.

I'd say the actual step up is A2 and even then by time you get to it it's all doable because you'll have been exposed to the maths.
I do both Spanish and German for a2 and it's definitely worth it. Feel free to PM me if you want to ask me questions about them :smile:

Usually, you get one listening per week, but you do get to fast forward and rewind Etc. They're easy if languages are your forte since you'll enjoy them more and benefit more. Do the two!
Thanks for the replies. Made my choices much easier now!
German AS - A, predicted A at A2

-> Be prepared to write essays on the unification of germany (you have to do it to the same standard as A2 politics and history students and it is in german). It is essentially 3 subjects in 1. Be aware it is very time consuming doing a language.

I do maths further maths and economics as well; maths AS is a breeze in terms of difficulty of learning (it is the exams that are challenging tho) A2 maths is fun.
Original post by tazza ma razza

-> Be prepared to write essays on the unification of germany (you have to do it to the same standard as A2 politics and history students and it is in german). It is essentially 3 subjects in 1. Be aware it is very time consuming doing a language.

I do maths further maths and economics as well; maths AS is a breeze in terms of difficulty of learning (it is the exams that are challenging tho) A2 maths is fun.

:confused: what exam board is this?! I do a2 German and we don't have to study the politics or history of Germany, not more than a basic understanding of it anyway.
Original post by stewarte
:confused: what exam board is this?! I do a2 German and we don't have to study the politics or history of Germany, not more than a basic understanding of it anyway.

OCR -> I had to prepare a potential 600 word essay for the exam, on the reunification lest it come up in the exam. I got it marked by 2 different teachers and they said that the grammar was all good but the effects on politics ( EG the coalitions and the importance of the smaller sized parties ) and the effects on the economy ( EG The fact the west had to fund the reconstruction of the east through 'Soli' taxes and the amounts and the effects on the on social attitudes ) were not mentioned and explained in enough detail. After corrections when i got it to A* standard i was on 800 ish words.
(edited 9 years ago)

How much time out of lessons do you spend a week? (Including homeworks and own learning)
How much time out of lessons do you spend a week? (Including homeworks and own learning)

at least 45 min homework set every lesson, plus random and surprise vocab tests on bits of vocab so 20 mins every day for vocab. Plus more when you have an essay to write
at least 45 min homework set every lesson, plus random and surprise vocab tests on bits of vocab so 20 mins every day for vocab. Plus more when you have an essay to write

Thanks Is that ok to do with your other subjects or do you find that you run out of time?
Thanks Is that ok to do with your other subjects or do you find that you run out of time?

i do 4 subjects -> i have 3 free periods a fortnight; and spend most of my spare time trying to get ahead so i can have fridays off! so yh i have yet to have a weekend where i am free!
i do 4 subjects -> i have 3 free periods a fortnight; and spend most of my spare time trying to get ahead so i can have fridays off! so yh i have yet to have a weekend where i am free!

Ok sounds like hard work! Thanks
Ok sounds like hard work! Thanks

To be honest, the step up from GCSE - AS isn't hard, if anything it is like revision with a focus on grammar and perhaps the expansion of ideas.

At A2, you learn more about the country of study and less about language skills / grammar / vocab etc hence why the jump from AS - A2 is so much harder.
Great, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest