The Student Room Group

American student UCAS reference and predicted grade application questions

I hope I'm posting this in the right place, but I am a current USA high school student and have a lot of questions about UCAS. If anyone can answer them with knowledge of personal experience of filling out UCAS as an American that would be awesome. Anyways...

1. How does the whole "reference predicting grades" work? I'm not sure who I'm going to have do my reference yet, and it's odd here in America because I've only had all my teachers for one year so none of them know me very well...I'm thinking of having my AP art history teacher do it,(because I'm applying for graphic design courses) but in terms of predicting grades, thats the only AP class she teaches me! How is she suppose to predict my AP computer science or AP european history grades? Do I just talk to those teachers individually and have my art history teacher enter on UCAS what those other teachers said????

2. Could I have a peer do my reference? She is a general education tutor for me and is in many of my classes so she would be capable of talking about how I interact in the class room.

3. Where (if anywhere) do you enter your GPA? Are you just suppose to put it in the "grade" box of the high school diploma qualification?

Sorry if this seems like a rant but I want to fill out UCAS correctly :smile:
Original post by mariann77
I hope I'm posting this in the right place, but I am a current USA high school student and have a lot of questions about UCAS. If anyone can answer them with knowledge of personal experience of filling out UCAS as an American that would be awesome. Anyways...

1. How does the whole "reference predicting grades" work? I'm not sure who I'm going to have do my reference yet, and it's odd here in America because I've only had all my teachers for one year so none of them know me very well...I'm thinking of having my AP art history teacher do it,(because I'm applying for graphic design courses) but in terms of predicting grades, thats the only AP class she teaches me! How is she suppose to predict my AP computer science or AP european history grades? Do I just talk to those teachers individually and have my art history teacher enter on UCAS what those other teachers said????

2. Could I have a peer do my reference? She is a general education tutor for me and is in many of my classes so she would be capable of talking about how I interact in the class room.

3. Where (if anywhere) do you enter your GPA? Are you just suppose to put it in the "grade" box of the high school diploma qualification?

Hey there. Maybe I can help a bit. I'm also American, though a few years older.

I'm not sure predicted grades matter quite as much. I think it's more your academic record the universities will look at. As for the reference, it can't be another student. It should be a teacher that knows your abilities. And lastly, GPA isn't as important as AP's and SAT's. When in doubt, write on UCAS's Facebook asking questions. They're good at helping.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mariann77

Hi there,
I can be of some help here :smile:

1) You have to type in your referee details in 'reference section' on the UCAS form. You have to type his/her name, phone no. email address etc. Then you click on 'send request' and an e-mail would be sent to your referee, then he/she can type your reference in the box. As far as predicted grades are concerned, they'll be provided by your referee. You can ask him/her to provide predicted grades.

2) Anyone who knows you very well can write a reference for you but not you friends or family members. It can be anyone from the director of school to art history teacher, but make sure he/she is not your relative or friend.

3) Type in your GPA in education section of UCAS. You'll find some thing named Module there when you enter your qualifications. You can type your subjects you took in the module section and respective grades obtained in the box below (grades obtained).

Hope it helped :smile:
Hey OP, did you get your UCAS application filled out? I'm an American trying to fill mine out now and my question is whether in the "Education" section I need to include (i.e., add as modules) all of the classes I took in high school and corresponding grades under where I add "U.S. High School Diploma". What did you do? Is it sufficient just to add the diploma?

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by tombombadil12
Hey OP, did you get your UCAS application filled out? I'm an American trying to fill mine out now and my question is whether in the "Education" section I need to include (i.e., add as modules) all of the classes I took in high school and corresponding grades under where I add "U.S. High School Diploma". What did you do? Is it sufficient just to add the diploma?

Thanks

Hey I applied for 2011 entry (so 4 years ago now :eek: how time flies!!), so I can answer your question. Don't bother adding all your classes, just enter US High School Diploma. Enter any AP exam grades, SAT/ACT scores, etc as separate qualifications (NOT under the US High School Diploma entry), you will be able to choose them from the list. I simply did US High School Diploma and then put my GPA. I sent out my transcript as well, even though most did not ask for it, so if they had any questions about which classes I took that were not AP courses they could ask or refer to that document.
Okay that's great. thanks @avash27. I took loads of AP and Honours classes but I don't think I ever took any tests (I graduated like, six years ago). Should I still specify those or is it only relevant if I've taken the test?
Reply 6
Original post by tombombadil12
Okay that's great. thanks @avash27. I took loads of AP and Honours classes but I don't think I ever took any tests (I graduated like, six years ago). Should I still specify those or is it only relevant if I've taken the test?

Ah, for this I am not entirely sure. I took all the tests for my AP classes, and universities see AP exams as being the closest equivalent to A-Level exams. I think your best bet would be to email or call the universities you are applying to and ask them whether or not they want you to list the AP classes even though you have no official exam results for them - they will know exactly what they want to see on your UCAS form and can advise accordingly. Best of luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending