The Student Room Group

Asking out a girl who thinks I'm a dick...

I put on a bit of an act to some girl friends of mine, knowing that they think it's hilarious how cocky and enigmatic I am, though I'm pretty confident they know it's tongue in cheek and I'm secretly very genuine and down-to-earth. I didn't anticipate developing feelings for one of them. I'm pretty confident she feels the same about me - crazy eye contact, making effort to be around me and directly engaging me in conversation in groups more than others - but am worried she might be apprehensive about letting herself fall too deep emotionally because of my persona.

I'm confident that once we're alone and able to chat I can show I have a deeper side than the playful act, but feel that I may need to get a little spark of it in before I could arrange a date with her.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I open up (possibly a bit weird/sappy/fake sounding); try to show it through behaviour (people will probably notice I'm behaving out of character); or just go for it and ask her out straight up next time I see her (my nerves will probably expose me a little)?
Original post by Anonymous
I put on a bit of an act to some girl friends of mine, knowing that they think it's hilarious how cocky and enigmatic I am, though I'm pretty confident they know it's tongue in cheek and I'm secretly very genuine and down-to-earth. I didn't anticipate developing feelings for one of them. I'm pretty confident she feels the same about me - crazy eye contact, making effort to be around me and directly engaging me in conversation in groups more than others - but am worried she might be apprehensive about letting herself fall too deep emotionally because of my persona.

I'm confident that once we're alone and able to chat I can show I have a deeper side than the playful act, but feel that I may need to get a little spark of it in before I could arrange a date with her.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I open up (possibly a bit weird/sappy/fake sounding); try to show it through behaviour (people will probably notice I'm behaving out of character); or just go for it and ask her out straight up next time I see her (my nerves will probably expose me a little)?

If she's fallen for you then it's your persona. So continue with this, and ask her out. When you're alone, you could maybe tone it down a bit. Basically still be 'playful' but don't hurt her feelings etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I should probably have added that I think she hated me at first. We've known each other for over a year now. It could well be that she's heard different things about me that have changed her perception. I think to be the same guy is not an option - it's not something I want to be with anyone I'm really close with and all my closest friends know I'm very thoughtful and caring.
Original post by Anonymous
I should probably have added that I think she hated me at first. We've known each other for over a year now. It could well be that she's heard different things about me that have changed her perception. I think to be the same guy is not an option - it's not something I want to be with anyone I'm really close with and all my closest friends know I'm very thoughtful and caring.

Don't overthink things, just aske her out and see what happens

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending