The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bude8
Not completely sure either, but I think it will involve multiplying the area of the triangle by the distance between D to the plane? Area x Length so should give a volume :lol:

And area of triangle is absintheta? Or 1/2 absintheta

I really like planes and vectors though lol, like it's so abstract but at the same time not
Original post by L'Evil Fish
And area of triangle is absintheta? Or 1/2 absintheta

I really like planes and vectors though lol, like it's so abstract but at the same time not

Ok, forgot to tell you this but:

My method for the volume is correct but you need to multiply it by 1/3 as well, not sure where that comes from...
Original post by Bude8

My method for the volume is correct but you need to multiply it by 1/3 as well, not sure where that comes from...

That vector product looks confusing

Because if you did triangle by distance you'd get triangular prism

Tetrahedron is a third of that
Heyheyheyhey
That vector product looks confusing

Because if you did triangle by distance you'd get triangular prism

Tetrahedron is a third of that

I'm gonna be honest, not exactly sure what a tetrahedron looks like :tongue: like fudge :tongue:

Just looked it up, makes a bit more sense now!

Vector product is, but there's a way of remembering it. You still need to look out for minus signs, so many **** ups happen there lol

The way to remember it:

Let's take the v2w3v_2w_3 term, to get it, write the v and w column vectors next to each other, and cover the first row of it (v1,w1)(v_1, w_1) with your finger. Then you make a diagonal 'cross' between v and w, from top left to bottom right. Repeat for the next term - but the order is important; v2w3v3w2v_2w_3-v_3w_2 is the x component (first row) of the cross product. Then for the y component (second row), you cover the second row of v and w and make the cross again, remember the order is important!

if it's v x w you always take v then go diagonal to w, not w then v. Hope that makes sense!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Olympiad
Heyheyheyhey

Long time no see.

(I don't think we've actually talked that much but I just remember the Peppa Pig avatar:lol:)
Original post by Bude8
I'm gonna be honest, not exactly sure what a tetrahedron looks like :tongue: like fudge :tongue:

Just looked it up, makes a bit more sense now!

Vector product is, but there's a way of remembering it. You still need to look out for minus signs, so many **** ups happen there lol

The way to remember it:

Let's take the v2w3v_2w_3 term, to get it, write the v and w column vectors next to each other, and cover the first row of it (v1,v2)(v_1, v_2) with your finger. Then you make a diagonal 'cross' between v and w, from top left to bottom right. Repeat for the next term - but the order is important; v2w3v3w2v_2w_3-v_3w_2 is the x component (first row) of the cross product. Then for the y component (second row), you cover the second row of v and w and make the cross again, remember the order is important!

Don't you mean v1w1.

Sounds like matrices work, covering up with the minds eye
Don't you mean v1w1.

Sounds like matrices work, covering up with the minds eye

Yeah, spotted my mistake and already edited it to make the correction!

So many places to mess up when you're doing vectors/planes :lol:
Original post by Red Fox
Long time no see.

(I don't think we've actually talked that much but I just remember the Peppa Pig avatar:lol:)

I've been so busy with A2/UCAS :frown:

How have you been?
Original post by Bude8
Yeah, spotted my mistake and already edited it to make the correction!

So many places to mess up when you're doing vectors/planes :lol:

Yeah, I couldn't answer a 7 marker on my paper because I didn't know what it was asking :lol:

It was annoying because I found out after what they wanted and it was just so easy
Original post by Olympiad
I've been so busy with A2/UCAS :frown:

How have you been?

I'm good:tongue:, UCAS is like a distant memory for me now:lol:.

Which A2s are you doing?
Yeah, I couldn't answer a 7 marker on my paper because I didn't know what it was asking :lol:

It was annoying because I found out after what they wanted and it was just so easy

One of the best mathematicians in the year, some Chinese guy, didn't get an A* in A2 Maths (we do A2 in one year if you're doing FM). He made mistakes like reading f(x)f'(x) as derivative and not inverse function :lol:
Original post by Bude8
One of the best mathematicians in the year, some Chinese guy, didn't get an A* in A2 Maths (we do A2 in one year if you're doing FM). He made mistakes like reading f(x)f'(x) as derivative and not inverse function :lol:

That's what we do (although I did mine in Year 11, resat C3 in Year 12, and doing all of FM this year)

f'(x) is derivative though wut, how could it be inverse hmm
That's what we do (although I did mine in Year 11, resat C3 in Year 12, and doing all of FM this year)

f'(x) is derivative though wut, how could it be inverse hmm

Isn't f'(x) used to denote inverse function sometimes...?
Original post by Bude8

f^-1(x) would always be the inverse on an A-Level exam.
Original post by Bude8

Didn't know that haha
Original post by Red Fox
f^-1(x) would always be the inverse on an A-Level exam.

Didn't know that haha

Ah, see what Red Fox said. That's what I meant - he got the two mixed up lol
Original post by Bude8

Duuuddee, I need help with proof by induction!

I understand the process of 1. Proving it for one case, 2. Making an assumption say: (n=k and 2k+1 = 2m) and using the induction step (k+1) but how do you PROVE it? Is it supposed to end up looking like the assumption?
Original post by Princepieman

I understand the process of 1. Proving it for one case, 2. Making an assumption say: (n=k and 2k+1 = 2m) and using the induction step (k+1) but how do you PROVE it? Is it supposed to end up looking like the assumption?

You assume it's true for n=k

Then you add on the next term in the sequence and show that if it's true for n=k then it must be true for n=k+1

You then show it's true for some number (e.g. 1) therefore it must be true for all integers greater than 1.
Original post by Princepieman

Depends on the type

If it's a summation you have what k+1 should look like. Then you prove it by doing k + the next term and show they're equivalent

For a multiple, you show k + next term is divisible as well, or k - term before

So it depends on those

Latest