The Student Room Group

Fernando Torres leaves Chelsea permanently

After costing Chelsea £50million Fernando Torres leaves for AC Milan for nothing, probably best remember for his role against Barcelona in the Champions League but other than that surely you can say he has been a really expensive flop.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30612861

Scroll to see replies

Is he still playing for spain? If not then his career is over.

My mate who's a chelsea fan absolutely hates him and will be glad of this news lol
Probably the biggest PL flop of all time tbh.
£50mil well spent, what an absolute flop that was. Feel sorry for the poor lad though, the way things just turned out.
As a Liverpool fan I'd be smug if it wasn't for the dross we wasted the money on.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
As a Liverpool fan I'd be smug if it wasn't for the dross we wasted the money on.

Yeah Suarez was a terrible player for you lot wasn't he.

Torres is definitely the worst signing in Premier League history though, amazing how he declined so quickly.
Original post by sr90

Torres is definitely the worst signing in Premier League history though, amazing how he declined so quickly.

Suarez wasnt signed with the Torres money fyi.
Original post by CB91
Suarez wasnt signed with the Torres money fyi.

They were signed on the same day. It's no different to Spurs spending the Bale money before they actually sold him.
Original post by sr90
They were signed on the same day. It's no different to Spurs spending the Bale money before they actually sold him.

The Suarez deal was being worked on for that whole month, implying that it was happening regardless of what happened with Torres. Torres' move was more of a last minute thing.

Carroll was signed with the Torres money.
He's joining Milan permanently but he's off to Atletico for a loan deal, probably for two years. Milan seem to be forking money out to pack him off on loan!

I feel for him as I was a fan when he was at Atletico but he did do OK at Chelsea at times, more in Europe but it seemed his mind had completely gone from a striker's POV. He seemed comfortable hogging the wings and working hard rather than getting in the box to try and score.
Original post by sr90

He may have been signed the same day but it wasn't with that money - I was thinking more Carroll and Downing.
Original post by CB91
The Suarez deal was being worked on for that whole month, implying that it was happening regardless of what happened with Torres. Torres' move was more of a last minute thing.

Carroll was signed with the Torres money.

There must have been some signs that he was leaving though? A British record transfer deal would take most of the month to complete.

Original post by A Mysterious Lord
He may have been signed the same day but it wasn't with that money - I was thinking more Carroll and Downing.

At least you got £20m for those two. We can't even give away Anderson!
Reply 12
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
£50mil well spent, what an absolute flop that was. Feel sorry for the poor lad though, the way things just turned out.

Torres was the third most marketable player in the world when signed.
Reply 13
Original post by swirly
Torres was the third most marketable player in the world when signed.

proof?

I doubt it, but interested to know more. Liverpool were not the biggest club marketing wise at the time and despite reasonably fair claims to him being one of the top few players in the world, I'd be surprised if he actually was earning the third most in marketing.
Reply 14
Reckon if we give Atletico Santi, they'd be open to swap for Turan. This makes zero sense on their behalf.
I'd feel sorry for him if it wasn't for the fact he's a multimillionaire
Reply 16
Original post by JamesR12
proof?

I doubt it, but interested to know more. Liverpool were not the biggest club marketing wise at the time and despite reasonably fair claims to him being one of the top few players in the world, I'd be surprised if he actually was earning the third most in marketing.

will look for the proof, saw it a long time ago mind you.

cliffs:
-spanish golden boy and first choice striker for most dominant international side
-pretty boy
-blonde hair of peace
Chelsea will be relieved just to no longer have to pay the extortionate wage bill of a flop who didn't fit in at the club.
Reply 18
Original post by swirly
will look for the proof, saw it a long time ago mind you.

cliffs:
-spanish golden boy and first choice striker for most dominant international side
-pretty boy
-blonde hair of peace

All granted, all granted.

3. ????
4. Profit

still needs proof
Reply 19
Original post by 419
Reckon if we give Atletico Santi, they'd be open to swap for Turan. This makes zero sense on their behalf.

Hi mate it's your boy lord SUGar

Quick Reply

Latest