The Student Room Group

Do you want to marry a feminist (male / female)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Meyrin
Oh dear, I've touched a nerve.

You have no consistency whatsoever if the only time you invest yourself in discussing the movement is to intentionally derail attention away from a particular group because of your own resentment.

Feminism does support equality, yes, but the fact of the matter is feminism was born to make women equal with men. To give them the same rights as men. To put them on the same level. You don't level a playing field by putting equal amounts of dirt on both sides, do you? You give it to the side that needs raising.

Likewise, though legally women are in a far better position equality-wise than we've ever been (bar certain issues such as wage gaps), culturally, and in society, problems remain. That's not to say men don't have their own share of issues, but who are you going to pay more attention to - the man with the cut on his arm, or the man with a broken leg? You aim to cure both, but one clearly needs more seeing to.

So you brush off the fact that male suicide has increased while female suicide has plummeted as equivalent to a "cut on the arm"? The fact that males get much longer prison sentences for equivalent crimes? That they aren't ever taken seriously in domestic violence cases despite being the victims nearly half of the time? That far less research goes into treating diseases that affect men?

It's difficult to believe that people are so deluded that they actually think women face significantly worse problems in today's society than some of the above, significant enough that the above problems can just be "brushed aside" until comedians making rape jokes is sorted out. You are pretty despicable even for a feminist and that's saying something lol
Original post by Meyrin
Ahh, you've got me. My secret plans for world female supremacy and male subjugation have been foiled by your flawless skills of logic and deduction.

Just to be clear feminism will never reach their goal because men will never allow women to be superior
Original post by bertstare
This is the real tragic part of it, we have a supposed male here who is so pathetically brainwashed by modern feminists that he actually thinks women still face legal barriers preventing them from acquiring the same rights as men. Must be the estrogen in your water supply

Oestrogen*

Haha, I'm so brainwashed by modern feminism am I? That explains why all of my statements have clearly argued that it is the modern-perception that is WRONG. I haven't been indoctrinated by anyone. I have my own beliefs and I am not an extreme feminist, I merely support equal rights and I do not disagree that women haven't really got anything to fight for right now - there are few legal barriers they face.

But of course, you didn't ask about that because it wouldn't have allowed you to make the ridiculous off-hand comments you just did.
Original post by DelReyRevolution
Oestrogen*

Haha, I'm so brainwashed by modern feminism am I? That explains why all of my statements have clearly argued that it is the modern-perception that is WRONG. I haven't been indoctrinated by anyone. I have my own beliefs and I am not an extreme feminist, I merely support equal rights and I do not disagree that women haven't really got anything to fight for right now - there are few legal barriers they face.

But of course, you didn't ask about that because it wouldn't have allowed you to make the ridiculous off-hand comments you just did.

So by your own logic you cannot support modern feminism since despite already having equal rights, feminists continue to solely focus on womens' issues and thus do not fight for equality. You just agreed with me but then called yourself a feminist in the same breath, your posts are making even less sense than they were on the previous page
So by your own logic you cannot support modern feminism since despite already having equal rights, feminists continue to solely focus on womens' issues and thus do not fight for equality. You just agreed with me but then called yourself a feminist in the same breath, your posts are making even less sense than they were on the previous page

That's because I am not a MODERN feminist. I am a feminist in the sense that I support the equal treatment of women.

You can continue to twist everything I'm saying, it makes you look illiterate, not me.
That's because I am not a MODERN feminist. I am a feminist in the sense that I support the equal treatment of women.

You can continue to twist everything I'm saying, it makes you look illiterate, not me.

Then all your posts have been completely pointless, we are not talking about feminism in the year 1900, this is the year 2014.
So you brush off the fact that male suicide has increased while female suicide has plummeted as equivalent to a "cut on the arm"? The fact that males get much longer prison sentences for equivalent crimes? That they aren't ever taken seriously in domestic violence cases despite being the victims nearly half of the time? That far less research goes into treating diseases that affect men?

It's difficult to believe that people are so deluded that they actually think women face significantly worse problems in today's society than some of the above, significant enough that the above problems can just be "brushed aside" until comedians making rape jokes is sorted out. You are pretty despicable even for a feminist and that's saying something lol

So I'm the despicable person here, because depsite having already acknowledged male problems (the two you mentioned here being caused by patriarchy and gender roles, actually - both things feminism fights against and that you continue to perpetuate), you don't like my metaphor.

And yet you, who patronisingly attempt to trivialise severe female sexual violence issues as "comedians making rape jokes" to try and make your own point seem more plausible (haha, yes, 1 in 5 women are sexually assaulted in their lifetime and more often than not victims are either silenced or blamed, but very trivial, obviously), are the good person here?

That's very interesting.

It's also interesting to note your main points are avoidable for men, whereas women will never see a release from their problems until societal attitudes change.
Original post by bittr n swt
Just to be clear feminism will never reach their goal because men will never allow women to be superior

That's nice, dear.
I'm male: I don't want to marry
Then all your posts have been completely pointless, we are not talking about feminism in the year 1900, this is the year 2014.

No, my posts were about the perception of Feminism and how your perception is completely wrong it's funny.

Don't blame me for your poor comprehension... you just continue to try and make me look stupid, you just make yourself look exactly that.
Original post by Meyrin
So I'm the despicable person here, because depsite having already acknowledged male problems (the two you mentioned here being caused by patriarchy and gender roles, actually - both things feminism fights against and that you continue to perpetuate), you don't like my metaphor.

And yet you, who patronisingly attempt to trivialise severe female sexual violence issues as "comedians making rape jokes" to try and make your own point seem more plausible (haha, yes, 1 in 5 women are sexually assaulted in their lifetime and more often than not victims are either silenced or blamed, but very trivial, obviously), are the good person here?

That's very interesting.

It's also interesting to note your main points are avoidable for men, whereas women will never see a release from their problems until societal attitudes change.

Fighting against an invisible, omnipotent, all-seeing (hint: non existent) patriarchy does not change laws or attitudes. When have feminists actually specifically stood up and said: why isn't more being invested into mental health care for men? Why aren't men taken seriously in domestic violence? Why aren't we putting more money into prostrate cancer research?

I've never seen such a thing happen.

Secondly, don't try and use overinflated and inaccurate data to convey your point. Everyone is aware how serious rape is, let's not try and claim anywhere near 1 in 5 women have experienced "severe sexual violence" in their lives, such claims are outrageous. We need to do more to help actual rape victims sure, but it seems in the feminist mind that as long as rape exists, no other problems in the world (even if it involves people dying) are worth fighting against. It's because feminists don't give a **** about anything else.

As for your last point (did you seriously just type that?): men can "avoid" depression, suicide, cancer, and domestic violence? I suppose women can just avoid rape then too?
(edited 9 years ago)
But that is exactly what a real feminist is. This is pretty annoying, people cannot tell the difference between extremism and the real thing. People always say that feminists are misandrists or whatever but they're not. Misandrists are misandrists. Feminists are feminists and never shall the two meet.

It's like when people say the Taliban are the true muslims, well no, they're not, they're extremists who overlook half of their own religious texts.

I certainly don't think all feminists are misandrists.

But feminism, as a movement, not just the extremists, is interested in "equal rights when it suits us".

I never hear of any feminist campaigns that question the inequality whereby women live longer than men. I never hear of any feminist campaigns questioning why the male suicide rate is much higher than the female suicide rate. I never hear of any feminist campaigns about the fact that men get custody of their children significantly less often than women. I never hear of any feminist campaign about the "grade gap" whereby women outperform men in public examinations despite average IQ being equal between the genders.

The fact is, feminism is only interested in "equality" when women are the ones behind. So really, it isn't actually interested in true equality.
So in other words, they only fight for women's issues. AKA, they don't fight for equality. Glad we cleared that up.

Lol, this. The guy just completely defeated his own argument in his subsequent posts.
Not unless they are Joseph Gordon Levitt

He is my only exception.
Fighting against an invisible, omnipotent, all-seeing (hint: non existent) patriarchy does not change laws or attitudes. When have feminists actually specifically stood up and said: why isn't more being invested into mental health care for men? Why aren't men taken seriously in domestic violence? Why aren't we putting more money into prostrate cancer research?

I've never seen such a thing happen.

Secondly, don't try and use overinflated and inaccurate data to convey your point. Everyone is aware how serious rape is, let's not try and claim anywhere near 1 in 5 women have experienced "severe sexual violence" in their lives, such claims are outrageous. We need to do more to help actual rape victims sure, but it seems in the feminist mind that as long as rape exists, no other problems in the world (even if it involves people dying) are worth fighting against. It's because feminists don't give a **** about anything else.

As for your last point (did you seriously just type that?): men can "avoid" depression, suicide, cancer, and domestic violence? I suppose women can just avoid rape then too?

I invite you not to waste your time attempting rational debate with that poster. It will only end in her being abusive.
Original post by _Charlotte15
So you don't believe in equal rights for women?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Equal rights? Go say that to Dr. Matt Taylor and all the Shirt bull**** 'feminists' brought up lmao...
Hell no, they're against giving women moral agency. They look at women as beings acted up.
They will quote **** data to prove their theories are correct. They're highly irrational beings. Brb girl in India raped, therefore rape culture [whilst ignoring the mob of men who go and search to batter the aggressor].

Such a bs movement, let Emma Watson speak in-front of the UN to speak for their cause.

Her bs statements goes as. Men and boys must be advocates for change, because they're the problem. We must teach men and boys not to hurt women, because no women in the world should be harmed [stroking unicorn]. Brb we must teach men how to be men, men should not be aggressive, men should not be in control. If a man was to make such statements he would be brushed aside for the true bs that it is. Throughout Emma watson speech, she did not utter one line regarding females action or their part in the cycle of violence.

All they want is equal positive outcomes, minus the equal input. Within a world where no harm is ever at the door of a female.
Original post by LTG
Depends, if you mean an actual feminist that stands for equal rights then I wouldn't care.

If you mean the average feminist that has hatred towards men in general and wants female liberties then no.

From my personal exp, they do have equal rights actually no they have more rights within the west.

1. Women have the right to genital integrity
2. Women have the right to vote without agreeing to die
3. Women have the right to choose parenthood
4. Women have the right to be assumed caregivers for children
5. Women have the right to call unwanted, coerced sex rape
6. Women have more rights regarding their sexual freedom

I seriously can't think of any regarding men, can you? if so post.
Reply 98
I never know what to expect when someone tells me their a feminist.

There is a potential they are normal people who just show some interest towards issues which may currently affect women etc. However on the other hand they could be a half-crazy man-hater who can barely string a sentence together without referring to some patriarchy they have decided exists.

Unfortunately the amount of lunatics currently supporting feminism its probably a 50/50.
Reply 99
Nah. I'd rather wife someone a few tiers above a doormat. I mean, I'm sure submissive feminists can exist in principle, but in reality, the type of woman who identifies as a feminist would probably want to be an "equal" in our relationship. HA. As if. I would NEVAH.

Quick Reply