The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Hello:smile: I'm also doing AS Chemistry (edexcel) :smile: Such an awesome idea to gather AS chem students and help each other out!
Original post by charco
E/Z is a more complete way of designating stereoisomers as it can be used for unsaturated compounds that don't have two groups the same. eg FClC=CBrI

Cis-trans description requires that at least two of the groups attached to the double bond are identical.

Ah, that explains why there are 2 ways of explaining what I thought were the same thing.
Will have to ask my Chemistry teacher if I need to know the difference.
Original post by zhang-liao
Sorry bout the late reply, went to sleep :colondollar:

They open all their taster courses on the 11th of January I believe

Haha, understandable :smile:
Ahh k, which you doing?

Original post by noshahmad
Doing all 4 will be difficult. I guess they do all compliment each other so you can talk about it vaguely but still having some sort of focus. I just checked and it said the deadline is in March for those in London?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You started yours yet? I'm starting mine now...
I looked it up and it varies by region, for some reason essex-my whereabouts- is one of the first with mid January :unimpressed: sorry for the misinformation :redface:
12 What is the total number of atoms in 1.8 g of water, H2O?
DATA
 The molar mass of H2O is 18 g mol–1
 The Avogadro Constant is 6.0 × 1023 mol–1
A 6.0 × 1022
B 6.0 × 1023
C 1.8 × 1023
D 1.8 × 1024

Guys, i understand that these kinda questions are pretty basic, but if someone could help me out by teaching me how to work this out that would be great :smile:
Original post by lolly786786

12 What is the total number of atoms in 1.8 g of water, H2O?

DATA
The molar mass of H2O is 18 g mol–1
The Avogadro Constant is 6.0 × 1023 mol–1

A 6.0 × 1022
B 6.0 × 1023
C 1.8 × 1023
D 1.8 × 1024

Guys, i understand that these kinda questions are pretty basic, but if someone could help me out by teaching me how to work this out that would be great :smile:

The Avogadro Constant (NA) is number of particles of a substance (atoms, molecules, ions) in one mole of the substance.

So, first, you need to work out how many moles of water there are, and then multiply that by NA for the number of molecules of water (because you used the number of moles of H2O, which is a molecule, you'll get the number of molecules out).

Then have a think about how you get from molecules to atoms.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lyricalvibe
Haha, understandable :smile:
Ahh k, which you doing?

You started yours yet? I'm starting mine now...
I looked it up and it varies by region, for some reason essex-my whereabouts- is one of the first with mid January :unimpressed: sorry for the misinformation :redface:

I'm hoping to do a Chemistry taster course :tongue:

BTW - If you live on border line of Essex/London, they might just change it. My school is under London but also Essex so they changed the deadline
I've created a document showing some insoluble and soluble compounds

According to what I've seen in Edexcel past papers (at least) you sometimes get questions asking you on specific insoluble and soluble compounds which some candidates don't know of or unaware of.

Just thought I'd share :colondollar:
Original post by BCMFM16
I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French. I'm thinking of dropping Maths for A2. Also i do the EPQ which our entire year were made to do.:confused:

Heeeey how come I haven't been able to private message you anymore?? I actually tried alot but randomnly stopped. I'm doing Chemistry and Biology too how are you finding it?:colondollar:
Original post by zara1234567
Heeeey how come I haven't been able to private message you anymore?? I actually tried alot but randomnly stopped. I'm doing Chemistry and Biology too how are you finding it?:colondollar:

Doesn't it work?! Let me see to that! Biology causes me lots of stress i've predicted a C so far anyway. Chemistry is good i'm predicted a B but i hear unit 2 is horrible...:eek:
Has anyone done the Chemistry isa yet or started it? I've only done the quantitative so far and if anyone needs help on that paper feel free to private message me for some general tips you need to revise for it
Original post by BCMFM16
Doesn't it work?! Let me see to that! Biology causes me lots of stress i've predicted a C so far anyway. Chemistry is good i'm predicted a B but i hear unit 2 is horrible...:eek:

Yeah it doesn't since like aaaages ago at least 4 months since you helped me out on Biology GCSE. Aww hahaha my predictions are abit similar. Have you done any courseworks yet how have you been
Has anyone done the Chemistry isa yet or started it? I've only done the quantitative so far and if anyone needs help on that paper feel free to private message me for some general tips you need to revise for it

Note that you can't share papers on TSR, against the rules. Just saying..
Yeah yeah dw I don't share papers haha. I meant just tips for it you know general like for titrations....
Yeah it doesn't since like aaaages ago at least 4 months since you helped me out on Biology GCSE. Aww hahaha my predictions are abit similar. Have you done any courseworks yet how have you been

Oh I remember you! In Biology i've done 2 so far. You get 3 attempts at each one. On my first one I got 6/10 on the first section...:eek:I need another attempt at that...:rolleyes:
Aha yeah. oooh as if. That's good though 6/10 you know. Also do you know why I can't private message you still.

It says 'BCMFM16 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.'
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyone who does Biology aqa and Chemistry OCR AS level private message me
Anyone who does Biology aqa and Chemistry OCR AS level private message me

We are literally opposites! I do AQA Chemistry and OCR Biology. My sister does OCR Chemistry, she's on A2 now.
Aha yeah. oooh as if. That's good though 6/10 you know. Also do you know why I can't private message you still.

It says 'BCMFM16 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.'

Thats really strange..I'm trying to look into that but my TSR is being a bit strange...
Original post by BCMFM16
We are literally opposites! I do AQA Chemistry and OCR Biology. My sister does OCR Chemistry, she's on A2 now.

Oh haha as if. We could have helped each other out aha. Like tips obviously. My sisters doing ocr chem too on A2
Yeah yeah dw I don't share papers haha. I meant just tips for it you know general like for titrations....

Oh I see, just don't share past papers and stuff :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest