The Student Room Group

Don't know which uni to firm?

I've applied for a BA Geography degree and cannot decide whether to firm Leeds or Newcastle (I have offers from both) I know I still have a long time to decide but I would like a better idea as I'm really torn between the two. It would be great if you could read my list of reasons for both uni and let me know which you would pick.

Newcastle

I only live half an hour away - part of me would like this as I am very close to my family and can see myself getting homesick

I like the course just as much as Leeds

I love the city

I suffer from a long term health condition - has anyone heard of Crohns disease? I'm ok at the minute but it flares up and when it does can leave me living in the bathroom - the worst case scenario is a huge surgery - while I don't want to limit myself because I have an illness however if I went to Leeds and it flared up I may have to leave temporarily in order to come home. Moving to Leeds may also mean changing hospitals.

I have been offered BBC if I take an assessed summer school - this would take a lot of pressure off

Leeds

Like the course

Not fond of the city

Accommodation more expensive and travel would also add to the cost

LOVE the campus and uni itself - prefer the campus to Newcastle

Worry I wouldn't fit or feel lonely

Brand new department being built this year

I feel going away to uni may benefit me - I worry if I went to Newcastle I may feel unfulfilled or that I haven't pushed myself enough ( I could be wrong, though)

I need AAA to get on the course - I achieved AAB last year so this is in my reach but I do worry about clearing

Any help is appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Judging by what you've said I'd probably want to stay close to home, Newcastle.
However you don't want to miss out on anything because you haven't gone to Leeds.
Maybe put Newcastle as your insurance and firm Leeds? Or if you feel really close with your family then just go to Newcastle.
Are the courses both exactly the same? Or is there something on one of them that you prefer?
Original post by OU Student
Are the courses both exactly the same? Or is there something on one of them that you prefer?

At Newcastle you have to do Physical geography in your first year which I didn't like -whereas you don't have to at Leeds. However, I don't like that a lot of the modules at Leeds in the first year are centred around Leeds itself rather than other nations. So it really is pretty equal - Newcastle may have the slight edge overall, though.
Original post by Placeboo123
Judging by what you've said I'd probably want to stay close to home, Newcastle.
However you don't want to miss out on anything because you haven't gone to Leeds.
Maybe put Newcastle as your insurance and firm Leeds? Or if you feel really close with your family then just go to Newcastle.

Its a difficult one. Are you at uni? and if so did you choose to stay near home or move away?
I chose a university close to home as I was scared I would miss my family but I regret doing this. Once you are there and enjoying yourself, you will not miss your family and will be FINE. I wish I had not let being close to home influence me in my choice. This is coming from somebody who was also scared they would not "fit in".
Original post by j1997
Its a difficult one. Are you at uni? and if so did you choose to stay near home or move away?

I'm doing my A levels atm.
ATM I think that I'd want to be independent and move a bit further away to a bit bigger city, but that's probably biased in my case as I live in a city which isn't really that great, so if I moved to a bigger city I'd probably just stay there.
I live about the same distance to Cambridge as you do to Newcastle and I don't think I'd put that as an advantage for choosing Cambridge, probably change my mind when I'm at uni and get homesick haha.
Original post by j1997
I've applied for a BA Geography degree and cannot decide whether to firm Leeds or Newcastle (I have offers from both) I know I still have a long time to decide but I would like a better idea as I'm really torn between the two. It would be great if you could read my list of reasons for both uni and let me know which you would pick.

Newcastle

I only live half an hour away - part of me would like this as I am very close to my family and can see myself getting homesick

I like the course just as much as Leeds

I love the city

I suffer from a long term health condition - has anyone heard of Crohns disease? I'm ok at the minute but it flares up and when it does can leave me living in the bathroom - the worst case scenario is a huge surgery - while I don't want to limit myself because I have an illness however if I went to Leeds and it flared up I may have to leave temporarily in order to come home. Moving to Leeds may also mean changing hospitals.

I have been offered BBC if I take an assessed summer school - this would take a lot of pressure off

Leeds

Like the course

Not fond of the city

Accommodation more expensive and travel would also add to the cost

LOVE the campus and uni itself - prefer the campus to Newcastle

Worry I wouldn't fit or feel lonely

Brand new department being built this year

I feel going away to uni may benefit me - I worry if I went to Newcastle I may feel unfulfilled or that I haven't pushed myself enough ( I could be wrong, though)

I need AAA to get on the course - I achieved AAB last year so this is in my reach but I do worry about clearing

Any help is appreciated :smile:
i would go to Newcastle in your circumstances because if you don't like a city you are not likely to be happy there. also I have worked with 2 people with crohns and know the problems they face. I would also stay in and go self catered. advise the uni of the illness you have and that catered halls are not suitable due to your diet. don't go home unless you really have to. this will allow you to get more from uni life and help you overcome home sickness,
Reply 8
why not visit both places again and see where feels 'right'. sounds obvious but it worked for me. also, from your list it seems like you're leaning towards newcastle. you're going to have to live in the city. if you like newcastle city and not leeds, id say that was a pretty good indicator of where you'd enjoy living. also, you don't want your illness disrupting your uni experience...id say this is more important than 'pushing yourself' to move away - plenty of time to do that after uni. uni is already a big upheaval. also, if you need to go home often, im guessing it would be much cheaper to get home from newcastle (not that money should be a deciding factor, but it may help tip the scales). both unis are highly prestigious... obviously leeds have given you a higher offer, but don't feel pressured into firming it just because it is higher- this is about you, and where you will enjoy being. idk if any of this helped...good luck and congrats on getting offers from such good unis :smile:
Original post by MNem
why not visit both places again and see where feels 'right'. sounds obvious but it worked for me. also, from your list it seems like you're leaning towards newcastle. you're going to have to live in the city. if you like newcastle city and not leeds, id say that was a pretty good indicator of where you'd enjoy living. also, you don't want your illness disrupting your uni experience...id say this is more important than 'pushing yourself' to move away - plenty of time to do that after uni. uni is already a big upheaval. also, if you need to go home often, im guessing it would be much cheaper to get home from newcastle (not that money should be a deciding factor, but it may help tip the scales). both unis are highly prestigious... obviously leeds have given you a higher offer, but don't feel pressured into firming it just because it is higher- this is about you, and where you will enjoy being. idk if any of this helped...good luck and congrats on getting offers from such good unis :smile:

Thanks so much! I know Newcastle inside out as I've grown up so close but I think I'll take your advise and take a day trip to Leeds itself rather than the uni. I just felt from what I've seen it seems hectic, cramped and a bit run down - I feel I need to look again to be sure on how I feel about the city itself. It's a difficult one. I love love love Leeds uni, great union, academic staff seem great, great sports facilities, good accommodation - campus is lovely. It's just the city itself whereas Newcastle is the other way round - love the city but the campus is a bit mediocre compared to Leeds.
Original post by swanseajack1
i would go to Newcastle in your circumstances because if you don't like a city you are not likely to be happy there. also I have worked with 2 people with crohns and know the problems they face. I would also stay in and go self catered. advise the uni of the illness you have and that catered halls are not suitable due to your diet. don't go home unless you really have to. this will allow you to get more from uni life and help you overcome home sickness,

Thanks for the advice! it's hard because you don't want you illness to limit you but as you know Crohns can be unpredictable and I don't know how id cope if I got really ill 2 and a half hours from home and needed support.
Original post by j1997
Thanks for the advice! it's hard because you don't want you illness to limit you but as you know Crohns can be unpredictable and I don't know how id cope if I got really ill 2 and a half hours from home and needed support.
I suspect from your comments you would be happier in a smaller city like Newcastle than a huge city like Leeds. People often feel like this about London. I honestly believe given all the facts Newcastle is the better choice for you. My 2 colleagues have suffered very large problems with Crohns and one transferred back to Swansea from Cardiff because the daily commute caused problems for him
Reply 12
Original post by j1997
Thanks so much! I know Newcastle inside out as I've grown up so close but I think I'll take your advise and take a day trip to Leeds itself rather than the uni. I just felt from what I've seen it seems hectic, cramped and a bit run down - I feel I need to look again to be sure on how I feel about the city itself. It's a difficult one. I love love love Leeds uni, great union, academic staff seem great, great sports facilities, good accommodation - campus is lovely. It's just the city itself whereas Newcastle is the other way round - love the city but the campus is a bit mediocre compared to Leeds.

no problem :smile: i've got an offer for leeds and durham... both are super far from home for me! leeds uni is amazing but i'd agree it does have that 'big city' hectic feel (which durham decidedly doesn't!)
Original post by MNem
no problem :smile: i've got an offer for leeds and durham... both are super far from home for me! leeds uni is amazing but i'd agree it does have that 'big city' hectic feel (which durham decidedly doesn't!)

wow that's amazing, well done! From experience (living close) I know that Durham is a lovely place and Newcastle is only 10 minutes away on the train and a lovely city if you ever fancied visiting somewhere new if you went to Durham. What course are you applying to?
Reply 14
Original post by j1997
wow that's amazing, well done! From experience (living close) I know that Durham is a lovely place and Newcastle is only 10 minutes away on the train and a lovely city if you ever fancied visiting somewhere new if you went to Durham. What course are you applying to?

thanks! yeah newcastle being close is crucial...durham feels slightly too small for me. but still a delightful place. im applying for english literature :smile:
You dont have to decide this for MONTHS - so stop panicking.

Read this : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Firm_and_insurance_choices

Revisit both Unis, look long and hard at the course content for all 3 years of the course(s), and then decide around March/April which one you prefer.
Original post by j1997

If you're planning to visit then get in touch with the Geography dept to see if they can arrange a student guide to show you around the city in person. Also maybe contact http://accommodation.leeds.ac.uk/info/100001/prospective_students/33/useful_links and see if you could stay over for a small amount of cash in halls (they offer rooms through http://www.universityrooms.com/en/city/leeds/home but it's usually cheaper to arrange directly).

From reading your posts it sounds like you want to go to Leeds but fear is holding you back. Also maybe try to arrange to meet up with the Disabled students team (http://www.equality.leeds.ac.uk/disabled-students/frequently-asked-questions-faqs/#applying - they have links to Crohn's info on their useful links page so although you may not feel like your condition is a problem atm they should be able to reassure you about the sort of support they can give you with your studies etc if you have a flare up or become too unwell to study)

TBH I'd recommend you do the same for Newcastle - stay over in halls, get shown round the city by a student, get in touch with their disability team to find out about support if things go wrong etc etc.

And I'd recommend speaking to your hospital about going to university - they might be able to keep you on their books but have an arrangement with a local hospital/consultant in Leeds should you need to access treatment. It's not unknown for students to get treatment "at home" in hospital during holidays - in fact it is pretty common. I wouldn't be surprised if they tell you that it is something they've dealt with before and can reassure you about how it would work if you moved away for uni.
visit both again. As a student you will spend a lot of time in the first year around your university and not much in the city, unless you are fond of nightclubs. In later years you may not live as close to your university and send a bit mre time in the city but the uni will still be a big part of your social life.

If you do decide on Newcastle don't live at home and dont spend weekends at home for the first term as weekends are often when friendships are conslidated. Phone or text your family but you'll settle in faster if you aren't away home a lot.
I'd say visit both again. Definitely visit Leeds as a city - but remember you'll possibly spend most of your time on campus. Personally, I lived in Leeds of a year (not whilst at uni) having come from the countryside, and whilst it's a bit big, I really loved it.

From what you've said, Newcastle seems like the best option (particularly for peace of mind with your health condition) but having another visit to both should give you some more clarity. Like you say, there's plenty of time left to make a decision.
I would like to ask About the leniency of the offer in regard of the grade ,am an A student who really took all these subjects ( math , physics, chemistry and biology )now and the last 2 years as self study my school is teaching American system so am doing dual types of study A levels and Ap and getting an excellent marks during the last exams .
But unfortunately iam sick and under treatment for crohn's disease and am afraid this will alter my results , am hopefully not but am asking to know before to have an idea before i choose my first and insurance choice in ucas , and regarding my illness I can bring a medical record for that .
I contacted leeds asking as am newly diagnosed they told me they are not looking to these situations and i should contact the exam board so an idea how i can contact them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending