The Student Room Group

Using my brother's student card in Apple Store

I'm heading to my local Apple Store tomorrow to purchase a new MacBook Pro 13" Retina. I went there today and asked about student discount, but they said that I had to show student ID, despite the fact that I showed them on my phone that I had access to the UniDays 15% discount at the Apple Education Store. I am going there with my brother tomorrow, and he has a student card for his university. He will be the one actually buying the Mac with my bank card so it's all legit, but if the staff realise he's using his student discount to buy the MacBook for me, will they refuse to sell it?

Thanks.
Original post by Nick_K
I'm heading to my local Apple Store tomorrow to purchase a new MacBook Pro 13" Retina. I went there today and asked about student discount, but they said that I had to show student ID, despite the fact that I showed them on my phone that I had access to the UniDays 15% discount at the Apple Education Store. I am going there with my brother tomorrow, and he has a student card for his university. He will be the one actually buying the Mac with my bank card so it's all legit, but if the staff realise he's using his student discount to buy the MacBook for me, will they refuse to sell it?

Thanks.

I bought my first mac using my parents' card and my student ID, as long as the person buying it (in this case your brother) has the ID then there shouldn't be an issue.

Showing you have access to other student discounts is never really going to be accepted as student ID anywhere btw.
Reply 2
Ah right it should be okay then. The reason I was surprised at their refusal when I showed them my Unidays discount was because right there and then I could have used the student discount on their online store to buy the same product, so it would make no difference to them if they offered me it in-store as well.
Original post by Nick_K
Ah right it should be okay then. The reason I was surprised at their refusal when I showed them my Unidays discount was because right there and then I could have used the student discount on their online store to buy the same product, so it would make no difference to them if they offered me it in-store as well.

It's similar to walking into an off license and saying they should be able to serve you booze because you already had a can of special brew when you came in- for all they know you could have got that first bit illegitimately :yep:

Also, just to let you know, if you buy via Apple's education website, as well as getting the same discount you'll automatically get your warranty extended to three years for free with the same level of cover as their paid AppleCare minus the telephone support. This is not available in-store, they will only offer you discounted AppleCare for around £50-£60, depending on the price of the Mac.
Hijacking a post (sorry!) but I was looking on the education site earlier and it didn't mention anything about a free warranty extension, it just offered the AppleCare at £60 (looking at the more expensive RMBP15"). Did I miss some small print somewhere or have they changed the policy?
Original post by snowster
Hijacking a post (sorry!) but I was looking on the education site earlier and it didn't mention anything about a free warranty extension, it just offered the AppleCare at £60 (looking at the more expensive RMBP15"). Did I miss some small print somewhere or have they changed the policy?

It doesn't actually mention it anywhere, they just tack it on automatically :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending