The Student Room Group

The Uni Study Thread Mark IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MathsNerd1
Differential Equation and Fourier Analysis and Complex Functions, it really didn't take that much work, university work just seems to come easier than STEP did for me, guess I'm lucky :yep:

I feel a lot more comfortable with the work I do at uni compared to what I did when I was doing my a levels. I never bothered with STEP since it wasn't required for where I wanted to study! I probably would have found it too hard tbh - wouldn't have gotten any help from my maths teacher because he wasn't very good in retrospect...

So do you do some modules that run all year? Mine all change next semester so I do 6 new ones. I think I'm doing one about complex functions next semester and 'Fourier transforms' are mentioned in my complex function module description (no idea if this is the same thing as what you're going to be doing though lol).
Original post by rayquaza17
I feel a lot more comfortable with the work I do at uni compared to what I did when I was doing my a levels. I never bothered with STEP since it wasn't required for where I wanted to study! I probably would have found it too hard tbh - wouldn't have gotten any help from my maths teacher because he wasn't very good in retrospect...

So do you do some modules that run all year? Mine all change next semester so I do 6 new ones. I think I'm doing one about complex functions next semester and 'Fourier transforms' are mentioned in my complex function module description (no idea if this is the same thing as what you're going to be doing though lol).

Yeah, with STEP I did it solo as well, but there was plenty of help on here too, guess I put too much effort into my part time job as I just missed the grades needed to get into warwick, but I guess things happen for a reason.

Yeah, I have 4 modules that run all year, they are:
- Algebra and Number Theory
- Probability Models and Methods
- Introduction to Numerical Methods
- Modelling with Differential Equations

Very nice, I'm sure we'll cover some of the same things
I'm just ignoring my coursework again. I seriously wish I'd chosen an easier degree lol! I'm so bored and frustrated with law.
Yeah, with STEP I did it solo as well, but there was plenty of help on here too, guess I put too much effort into my part time job as I just missed the grades needed to get into warwick, but I guess things happen for a reason.

Yeah, I have 4 modules that run all year, they are:
- Algebra and Number Theory
- Probability Models and Methods
- Introduction to Numerical Methods
- Modelling with Differential Equations

Very nice, I'm sure we'll cover some of the same things

I'm not liking the sound of a year-long probability module!! :tongue:

Well I really hope everything gets better for you! My inbox is always open for some advice/motivation. :smile:
Original post by Antifazian
Haha this is my plan for after my master's is done too, hopefully get a job in Canada! Although, I have travelled a lot and lived abroad before so it's not so much scary as incredibly exciting to me. I can't see myself living in the UK for any stretch of time once this course is finished, it bores the hell out of me. D:

Need to do a lot more research into how the application and emigration process works, though.

OMG YES someone else with that plan too! Haha! This is my 5th year living abroad now, but it's a bit different when it's only 630km.. and then suddenly over 8000km. Where do you wanna go?
I definitely don't want to go back to Germany. They're also changing this whole application process.. Fast Track now or something! Need to read into that.
I'm so bored with my course already, I'm not actually sure what I should do in this situation.

Wish I had that problem of my course being too easy for me :frown:
I'm struggling with it so badly, so scared I won't even get a 2:1 :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not liking the sound of a year-long probability module!! :tongue:

Well I really hope everything gets better for you! My inbox is always open for some advice/motivation. :smile:

It's not really that bad, we'll be doing markov chains next semester which shouldn't be too bad and thanks, I'll let you know how my exams go :smile:

Original post by shorttstuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure you'll be able to get a 2:1, just don't give up :smile:
Original post by BeyondandAbove
OMG YES someone else with that plan too! Haha! This is my 5th year living abroad now, but it's a bit different when it's only 630km.. and then suddenly over 8000km. Where do you wanna go?
I definitely don't want to go back to Germany. They're also changing this whole application process.. Fast Track now or something! Need to read into that.

Haha yeah we do seem to be a rare bunch, I find it hard to find anyone interested in living abroad either permanently or semi-permanently! I don't know, I guess it will be dictated by where I end up finding work, i'm happy to go anywhere really, I just don't want to become tied to one place so young. How about yourself? :smile:
Why don't you want to go back to Germany? I absolutely loved living there. Ooh fast-track sounds interesting! Will look into it at some point :tongue:
It's not really that bad, we'll be doing markov chains next semester which shouldn't be too bad and thanks, I'll let you know how my exams go :smile:

I'm sure you'll be able to get a 2:1, just don't give up :smile:

At least it does mean you can juggle work and extra activities tbh and enjoy university in general rather than slaving over uni work all the time!
What exams have you got in Jan? might need a bit of help possibly especially in probability :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hence why I'll be doing it too :tongue:
I'm actually excited about planning my move to Canada.. it'll be the single biggest thing I've ever done. :daydreaming:

How are your applications going?

:hugs: are you enjoying the masters at least?

Well I've sent off one and written another :yep: Supervisor is gone so will have to use my gut instinct and send it off without him reading it. ****ting myself tbh :erm:
Yeah, that's my desired end goal and I took maths, further maths and chemistry, but didn't enjoy chemistry all that much, so maths is what I'm left with.

Perfect for chemical engineering? :wink:

x

Do either of you do fluid mechanics/heat transfer/signal processing related stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by addylad
Perfect for chemical engineering? :wink:

Do either of you do fluid mechanics/heat transfer/signal processing related stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, sorry. :redface:
Original post by shorttstuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

omg Same here. I know someone who will get a 2:1 even if she gets like a third or something. I'm at a high 2:2 but feel like I won't be able to bump my grades up to a 2:1 :frown:

:hugs: We just have to work hard.

Can't wait atm for NYE so I can take some time away from studying and have fun!
Haha yeah we do seem to be a rare bunch, I find it hard to find anyone interested in living abroad either permanently or semi-permanently! I don't know, I guess it will be dictated by where I end up finding work, i'm happy to go anywhere really, I just don't want to become tied to one place so young. How about yourself? :smile:
Why don't you want to go back to Germany? I absolutely loved living there. Ooh fast-track sounds interesting! Will look into it at some point :tongue:

I'm pretty set on Vancouver or anywhere in British Columbia really. I don't know, that place just took my heart when I visited. I really just want to get a cat finally! haha. So I'm okay with being tied down somewhere for a job. Germany bores me, I mean I grew up there my whole life (except these past years) and I need to see something else. It's nice to be back sometimes, but nothing really holds me here.. (not counting my family and rare friends). How long did you live there and where?

Ah, it's this new thing.. hang on, here: It's called Express Entry, not Fast Track. Sorry!

Original post by Slowbro93
:hugs: are you enjoying the masters at least?

Well I've sent off one and written another :yep: Supervisor is gone so will have to use my gut instinct and send it off without him reading it. ****ting myself tbh :erm:

I am! I'll be looking at poop and urine and biopsies next semester; that should be fun! I just didn't enjoy all the virology stuff... glad that's over now. I can go back to my bacteria!

You'll be fine! I wrote my personal statement for my MSc applications in like 10 minutes, proofread once and sent it off without anyone looking at it. :tongue: look where it got me. ... I don't think I'll be doing that with any jobs, though.. :erm:
I'm pretty set on Vancouver or anywhere in British Columbia really. I don't know, that place just took my heart when I visited. I really just want to get a cat finally! haha. So I'm okay with being tied down somewhere for a job. Germany bores me, I mean I grew up there my whole life (except these past years) and I need to see something else. It's nice to be back sometimes, but nothing really holds me here.. (not counting my family and rare friends). How long did you live there and where?

Ah, it's this new thing.. hang on, here: It's called Express Entry, not Fast Track. Sorry!

Vancouver would be amazing! That's understandable that if you lived in Germany for a while it's not going to seem that exciting to you anymore. I only lived there for 2 years, it was in Paderborn - I was an army kid so lived near the base.

Thanks for the link, will have to check that out!
Need to do some lectures for my January exams..!
Hope everyones revision is going well :smile:
Vancouver would be amazing! That's understandable that if you lived in Germany for a while it's not going to seem that exciting to you anymore. I only lived there for 2 years, it was in Paderborn - I was an army kid so lived near the base.

Thanks for the link, will have to check that out!

So what draws you to Canada? For me it has to be all that nature. And the people were lovely. Also went to a nice restaurant and you didn't have to dress up, nice! And nature.

I lived nowhere near that, I also forgot where that is haha. But I heard it's not a bad place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Starting uni work today. 15 days, two essays. Let's go!
Original post by snailsareslimy
x

Need to reply to your message, sorry I haven't been the greatest help lately :sad:
Haven't touched my work since I went away on the 23rd December, got to look at it again now...

Quick Reply

Latest