The Student Room Group

Personalised plates

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NatashaLee
Well as number plate prices go it was reasonable, at £400 so some might say it doesn't but I like it. It's Natasha but the 'ta' has been replaced by numbers obviously. Not numbers which look like 't' or 'a' really tho haha

But I hadn't seen one I liked better, the other option was getting one saying 'Nat' but nobody calls me that, and I don't like it as it could mean a few names really, like Natasha, but also Natalie etc. Couldn't really find one with Tasha either

£1500 is a lot, but I guess if you look at it in terms of how many years you're gonna have it may seem more reasonable? Once you have it you can obviously keep it forever, so I guess it is a long term purchase :smile:

yeah £400 pretty cheap. I'm assuming its a current style plate then?

I don't think I'd get a current style plate as its hard to tell its personalised. If I'm paying money for a number plate I'd want it to stand out; call me a show off :cool:

My name is Matt which is such a common name that even current style plates like MA12 TTY (i.e MA** TTY where the *s are any number) run over a thousand pounds :P and with having 4 initials its just awkward finding a decent plate

yeah I agree, the one I want (which is a 5 character one) i'd probably never sell but 1500 just seems a lot which is why i'm so undecided. was so close to buying it last week when the guy rang but my head said no :colondollar:

i suppose there's only 10 plates which are Initial-Number_Initial-Initial-Initial which work for me if you see what I mean so when its put like that perhaps 1500 seems reasonable

am i over thinking this haha
Original post by stirkee
yeah £400 pretty cheap. I'm assuming its a current style plate then?

I don't think I'd get a current style plate as its hard to tell its personalised. If I'm paying money for a number plate I'd want it to stand out; call me a show off :cool:

My name is Matt which is such a common name that even current style plates like MA12 TTY (i.e MA** TTY where the *s are any number) run over a thousand pounds :P and with having 4 initials its just awkward finding a decent plate

yeah I agree, the one I want (which is a 5 character one) i'd probably never sell but 1500 just seems a lot which is why i'm so undecided. was so close to buying it last week when the guy rang but my head said no :colondollar:

i suppose there's only 10 plates which are Initial-Number_Initial-Initial-Initial which work for me if you see what I mean so when its put like that perhaps 1500 seems reasonable

am i over thinking this haha

Yeah it is, my names a little too long and as I say I didn't really like 'Nat' plus I don't actually think there was any 'Nat' ones apart from a future auction one. But I understand what you mean about wanting it to stand out, especially if you're paying so much money. I'm quite happy with mine though even if at first look you wouldn't realise.

ah yeah I can imagine they're very expensive, looks like you have a difficult job finding one then, which I guess is even more reason for you to buy the one you've seen if you like it :P

I don't think you over thinking it, £1500 is a lot, you have reasons to buy it I guess, but yeah it is a lot. Decision decisions ey aha
Yeah it is, my names a little too long and as I say I didn't really like 'Nat' plus I don't actually think there was any 'Nat' ones apart from a future auction one. But I understand what you mean about wanting it to stand out, especially if you're paying so much money. I'm quite happy with mine though even if at first look you wouldn't realise.

ah yeah I can imagine they're very expensive, looks like you have a difficult job finding one then, which I guess is even more reason for you to buy the one you've seen if you like it :P

I don't think you over thinking it, £1500 is a lot, you have reasons to buy it I guess, but yeah it is a lot. Decision decisions ey aha

yeah as long as you're happy with it its worth what you spent. That's my problem, I don't just want a personalised plate for the sake of having it as if so there's plenty of meaningless 5 character plates out there for £250 or less.. but then to get one that means something is a pain in the arse given my first name, my 4 initials and in general how common those initials are!

Damnit parents, they could have planned this better :colondollar:

really want a personalised plate to go on my new car which i'm getting in march though, that's why i've started looking. argh the decisions, as you said haha!
Original post by stirkee
yeah as long as you're happy with it its worth what you spent. That's my problem, I don't just want a personalised plate for the sake of having it as if so there's plenty of meaningless 5 character plates out there for £250 or less.. but then to get one that means something is a pain in the arse given my first name, my 4 initials and in general how common those initials are!

Damnit parents, they could have planned this better :colondollar:

really want a personalised plate to go on my new car which i'm getting in march though, that's why i've started looking. argh the decisions, as you said haha!

Yeah I don't see the point in just having one because you can and it's not actually something you like, you may as well not waste your money and put it towards the one you want, even if thats not right now.

hmm I guess if you waited a different one you like may come available? not sure how much of a likelihood that is though, haha parents ey they never think about these things! My friends boyfriends grandparents actually bought the two brothers number plates when they were quite young, they didn't pay a lot for them but I think they'd be worth more now, I wish my parents had of done that! haha

Aw new car and new plates is a good combination, which is a good reason to get it I guess :wink: Still though, it's a lot of money but if you can happily afford it and it's something you've wanted for a while, plus it's one you like, it's all good? aha
Yeah I don't see the point in just having one because you can and it's not actually something you like, you may as well not waste your money and put it towards the one you want, even if thats not right now.

hmm I guess if you waited a different one you like may come available? not sure how much of a likelihood that is though, haha parents ey they never think about these things! My friends boyfriends grandparents actually bought the two brothers number plates when they were quite young, they didn't pay a lot for them but I think they'd be worth more now, I wish my parents had of done that! haha

Aw new car and new plates is a good combination, which is a good reason to get it I guess :wink: Still though, it's a lot of money but if you can happily afford it and it's something you've wanted for a while, plus it's one you like, it's all good? aha

yeah I could always wait and see :smile:

I think in general personalised plates (speaking about dateless ones really) have been shooting up in value recently. I'm not speaking so much about random, rubbish letters like WXYZ etc but number plates with semi-desirable/common strings of letters (eg initials) on them at least have been holding their value. I mean just look at things like that F1 number plate, its an extreme example but it was bought for a few hundred thousand and now a few years later the owner is turning down offers of millions.

I'll wait till january payday and decide then haha. I wouldn't sell it anyway so the value is a little irrelevant except for the initial purchase of course. My dad's full name is actually my name but without the matthew (i.e when he named me he just dumped Matt on the front of his name, lazy or what!!) and he has a 5 character plate himself with his initials on, meaning if I got the one I want our plates would look great in the driveway together given the only difference is the first 2 characters (in fact the only difference is the first character as the number is the same as well!)

but yeah ha
Original post by stirkee
yeah I could always wait and see :smile:

I think in general personalised plates (speaking about dateless ones really) have been shooting up in value recently. I'm not speaking so much about random, rubbish letters like WXYZ etc but number plates with semi-desirable/common strings of letters (eg initials) on them at least have been holding their value. I mean just look at things like that F1 number plate, its an extreme example but it was bought for a few hundred thousand and now a few years later the owner is turning down offers of millions.

I'll wait till january payday and decide then haha. I wouldn't sell it anyway so the value is a little irrelevant except for the initial purchase of course. My dad's full name is actually my name but without the matthew (i.e when he named me he just dumped Matt on the front of his name, lazy or what!!) and he has a 5 character plate himself with his initials on, meaning if I got the one I want our plates would look great in the driveway together given the only difference is the first 2 characters (in fact the only difference is the first character as the number is the same as well!)

but yeah ha

Yeah I guess it's a good thing even if you don't plan on selling them, it's nice to know they will at least hold their value and is obviously likely to increase, also chance that it may become even more desirable in the future and look even better on your car too.

Haha my dad gave my brothers 4 middle names if I remember correctly (I'm not sure any more as we don't speak to him and they've just taken their surname really) Me and my sister got off lightly with just one middle name of 'Lee' although you could say it's the boys way of spelling it :/ haha. But i think your drive would look pretty good with them both on :smile:
Yeah I guess it's a good thing even if you don't plan on selling them, it's nice to know they will at least hold their value and is obviously likely to increase, also chance that it may become even more desirable in the future and look even better on your car too.

Haha my dad gave my brothers 4 middle names if I remember correctly (I'm not sure any more as we don't speak to him and they've just taken their surname really) Me and my sister got off lightly with just one middle name of 'Lee' although you could say it's the boys way of spelling it :/ haha. But i think your drive would look pretty good with them both on :smile:

4 middle names? jeeeeeez :tongue:

if i think my number plate search is hard.. hah
Original post by stirkee
4 middle names? jeeeeeez :tongue:

if i think my number plate search is hard.. hah

Haha, well luckily none of them are really looking. One of my brothers changes his car too often time for it to be worth it and the other shares a car with his fiancée so don't think she'd want his full initials (or name either haha)

But good luck with your search/purchase! I'm sure it will work out :smile:
Haha, well luckily none of them are really looking. One of my brothers changes his car too often time for it to be worth it and the other shares a car with his fiancée so don't think she'd want his full initials (or name either haha)

But good luck with your search/purchase! I'm sure it will work out :smile:

haha. cheers, enjoy your new plate as well :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending