The Student Room Group

My Theory of God

I just wanted to share my point of view on God.
I believe that God is real but not on the scale that the media portrays him as. God isn't a bearded man in the sky pointing to things. I believe that God doesn't have an appearance. God is everywhere and we live through him. God lives outside of time not physically however he created basic time day/night humans made it more complex. I don't believe that God has any expectations, I believe he is just there keeping the universe together. Abit like a lightbulb. We've got to get out of this habit of thinking God is a physical being. Anyway that's all I wanted to say. Any questions? Just post it i'll get to it. If you disagree post that as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Close to what Muslims believe about God.

Say, "He is Allah , [who is] One,
Allah , the Eternal Refuge.
He neither begets nor is born,
Nor is there to Him any equivalent."
[Qur’an 112:1-4]
Original post by Zeetingman
I believe that God is real but not on the scale that the media portrays him as. God isn't a bearded man in the sky pointing to things. I believe that God doesn't have an appearance. God is everywhere and we live through him. God lives outside of time not physically however he created basic time day/night humans made it more complex. I don't believe that God has any expectations, I believe he is just there keeping the universe together. Abit like a lightbulb. We've got to get out of this habit of thinking God is a physical being. Anyway that's all I wanted to say. Any questions? Just post it i'll get to it. If you disagree post that as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If he didn't have any expectations why would he keep the Universe together? He expects to keep the Universe together, and to keep the human race together we must act morally and not kill each other; so he also expects us to function as a workable society.

Also most people don't tend to think of God as an anthropomorphic entity, but true there is a tendency to represent it in this way.

Out of curiosity, why do you believe in God anyway? (No books please. :smile:)
Reply 3
Christians believe this too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds like Deism.
Christians believe this too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Beleive what?
I think organised religion is bull****
Arguably, if what you've said is the case, he's done a pretty amazing job at holding all the atoms of the universe exactly where they were meant to be for the last 13.72bn years. Not sure what he was doing before that though or why he hasn't popped down to Africa lately but I'm sure there's a very good reason and in any case the age of the universe is dwarfed by the trillenia to come so he's got to show up somewhere eventually right? I'm thinking Iraq, Syria but he probably has other plans like helping American sports stars make winning goals etc. Also slight issue of being bound by a flat universe which in all probability will have an ending mirroring it's beginning where there will be nothing, not even atoms but I am sure he's thought of something...
God does have expectations.
Reply 9
I believe in God because I think Science is trying to hard to prove that there isn't a God. So this leads me onto believe there must be a God if Scientists want to prove so badly that there isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really hate the idea that God has rules. Let's take an example an artist wouldn't set laws on his or hers creation. I'm not sure but I think people have a fear of God so they sorta set the rules and laws for him...idk

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't believe in god but if there were a god it would be similar to what you describe. The closest thing I think god would be like is the universe itself, why does the creator of the universe HAVE to be outside the universe, why can't it be the universe?

If god has always existed or created himself, then the same can be said for the universe meaning the universe is a god. Gods purpose could simply be to create, isn't that what the universe does?
Reply 12

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of interest, is there any basis to your ideas or are you able to just think them up like that? Does it matter to you what appearance God has? Also how confident are you of your beliefs, i.e. do you think you are unlikely to be correct but still it's better than alternatives, or that you have some kind of unique sense that tells you that you must be right?

Those are the questions that came to my mind, feel free to answer the ones you can and take your time on the others if you like.
I believe in God because I think Science is trying to hard to prove that there isn't a God. So this leads me onto believe there must be a God if Scientists want to prove so badly that there isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Q.E.D.

Spoiler

Original post by Law-Hopeful
Q.E.D.

Spoiler

I honestly thought that was a brilliant reply! Made me laugh actually.
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Q.E.D.

Spoiler

Let us hope so...
To begin with my ideas are based on thoughts and a little bit on Christianity. The problem I have with Christianity is that it sort of forces you to believe that this so called creator has laws and that there is eternal punishment for those who aren't christians which seems really unfair. These are just theories I come up with once in a while. This is probably the wrong idea of God but it's just my point of view.
To begin with my ideas are based on thoughts and a little bit on Christianity. The problem I have with Christianity is that it sort of forces you to believe that this so called creator has laws and that there is eternal punishment for those who aren't christians which seems really unfair. These are just theories I come up with once in a while. This is probably the wrong idea of God but it's just my point of view.

Christianity doesn't force you to belief that at all. For a start you don't need to and if you have any brain you will realise you shouldn't interpret scripture literally. Don't even start to think that any proposed "scripture" is the literal word of God. It isn't. I've studied the history of so called scriptures and they have been edited, contrived and manipulated so many times it is absurd. The extent to which this is true makes it so that they can't even be reliable historical documents. Forget scripture if you want to find God, you will only find men who want to exploit your stupidity.

If you want to talk realistic theologies without assuming the existence of God I will be happy to do that. And personally I think Islam/Jehovah Witnesses probably are the best when it comes to that. As far as the most reasonable religion to practice, well that would be Buddism if you call it a religion but it isn't really a religion as you may be buddhist without believing in any god at all, so if we mean an actual theistic religion then I would recommend the Bahá'í Faith.

The wikipedia page has loads of stuff on it that I recommend reading.

Regarding the theology of punishment Jehovah's believe in something called annihilationism which is basically the idea that instead of subjecting somebody to eternal suffering they simply have their souls annihilated instead if they are sinners and if they have been introduced to the idea of God. Those who never got to knew about religion to to purgatory and are judged by God separately there.
Original post by niya_1995
It's difficult to say. I would like to believe as many as true things and less false things as possible. So far, I think religion got it wrong IMO we will have to wait until someone validates string theory through verifiable evidence or if there is a better explanation. I think that truth would change everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It isn't possible to verify string theory through verifiable evidence :s-smilie:
Original post by TorpidPhil
It isn't possible to verify string theory through verifiable evidence :s-smilie:

Not a theoretical physicist but the optimism of the theory has an almost religious zeal to it... it's pretention to the unification of physical theories, a grand theory. Not surprised it has no experimental results, it sounds like they've lost their marbles.

Here are my observations on religion:

Variations:
Amount of Gods (Poly or Mono)
Organised or Decentralised
Anthropological or Abstract
Scripture

Polytheism seems to everyone, including monotheists to simply be a primitive personification of human personalities, as the Greek Xenophanes wrote, they '"have attributed to the gods all sorts of things that are matters of reproach and censure among men: theft, adultery, and mutual deception."'

Monotheism is more abstract, when do we experience all powerful, all knowing, all loving things in nature; quite the contrary everywhere we look in classical societies we see lack of power, over nature and each other, lack of love and lack of knowledge to control the environment. In my view Monotheism is similiar to Polytheism; our primitive ancestors looked at the world as something far superior to us; and thus thought it could have only been created by something greater than us; but it still has the element of personification; God is still a personal object.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending