The Student Room Group

Am I clever enough to study law?

Hi
I am thinking of studying law at university. I say thinking, hoping would be more appropriate.:smile: I have just started my AS and am predicted 4b's .. This is way below what it takes to study law I think, but I was wondering if anyone else was predicted theses kind of results and still went on to study law at a russell group uni? I've been looking at some and, although all are very competitive, I am dreaming of studying at Nottingham or Queen Mary London.
Also, I was wondering what kind of offers some of you got? Maybe if some of you were offered ABB it will boost my confidence:smile: but that wish is shadowed with crippling doubts of my own ability:/

Scroll to see replies

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right!

P.S. I scored ABB in my AS Levels, & I have an offer from LSE (A*AA), WARWICK (AAA), QMUL (A*AA).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by simplyfaiq
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right!

P.S. I scored ABB in my AS Levels, & I have an offer from LSE (A*AA), WARWICK (AAA), QMUL (A*AA).

Really?! That's amazing! That's boosted my confidence loads! Have you started yet? If so how are you finding it?
Nope, It will start in upcoming September hopefully at QMUL.
Reply 4
Nope, It will start in upcoming September hopefully at QMUL.

Ah ah I would love to go there!! Good luck:smile::smile:
Original post by Conrad_Ford
Ah ah I would love to go there!! Good luck:smile::smile:

You Too! :smile:
Reply 6
You Too! :smile:

One last question.. Did you get work experience before you applied..?
One last question.. Did you get work experience before you applied..?

Nope, Though I won a National Law moot (unexpectedly), and participated in international business competitions. But since I wanted to do corporate law and stated this is my personal statement as well, maybe the business competitions accounted for their decision too!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Nope, Though I won a National Law moot (unexpectedly), and participated in international business competitions. But since I wanted to do corporate law and stated this is my personal statement as well, maybe the business competitions accounted for their decision too!

Ah okay... Thank you for everything..!:smile:
Ah okay... Thank you for everything..!:smile:

You're welcome :smile:
OK, I'm studying Law at Nottingham.
I got ABBB at AS Level (the three Bs were a matter of a few UMS away from As) and was predicted AAA at A2. I got 25 on the LNAT.
Nottingham offered me a place as long as I secured A*AA.
Three of my teachers fell ill during my A2 year for an extended period of time and I found myself without teachers. Long story short, I ended up with ABB at A2. Nottingham still allowed me in.
This gives you hope, I would try to push at least one of those Bs up to an A, though, to ensure an offer.

I wouldn't want you to become fixated on the idea that Nottingham will drop their grades for you, though. I was very lucky, and I'm still not sure why they did it. They will look at an array of information when deciding to offer you a place, and then subsequently whether to take you if you do not achieve their grades in August. They will take in to account your personal statement, reference, predictions, extra curricular activities and perhaps most importantly, the LNAT test.

I have a friend who achieved AAAA at AS Level and was predicted A*A*A at A2. She applied to three different LNAT universities (including Nottingham), but only achieved 17. She was declined from all three, and now studies at Exeter (still a great university!)

As I said, this gives you some hope, but do work hard to try and get at least one A at AS. Also, most people at Nottingham got AAA or higher, so it's not often they drop as low as they did for me. I was extremely lucky.
Hi
I am thinking of studying law at university. I say thinking, hoping would be more appropriate.:smile: I have just started my AS and am predicted 4b's .. This is way below what it takes to study law I think, but I was wondering if anyone else was predicted theses kind of results and still went on to study law at a russell group uni? I've been looking at some and, although all are very competitive, I am dreaming of studying at Nottingham or Queen Mary London.
Also, I was wondering what kind of offers some of you got? Maybe if some of you were offered ABB it will boost my confidence:smile: but that wish is shadowed with crippling doubts of my own ability:/

With BBB or ABB you would be much much better off applying to do a different course and then doing the GDL (law conversion). The key is apply to do a respectable course at the best university possible. Though I would say that if you're aspirations are City law firms, most of them require at least grades AAB at Alevel or they automatically filter your application out. You need to pull out all the stops with your Alevels to be honest if you're realistic about this.
Original post by jenkinsear
With BBB or ABB you would be much much better off applying to do a different course and then doing the GDL (law conversion). The key is apply to do a respectable course at the best university possible. Though I would say that if you're aspirations are City law firms, most of them require at least grades AAB at Alevel or they automatically filter your application out. You need to pull out all the stops with your Alevels to be honest if you're realistic about this.

I'm not sure. If someone got ABB at A Level and got a first from a respectable university, I don't know if a City law firm would outright reject them over someone with a 2:1 but AAB...
Hi

Don't go to Nottingham for law unless it is your only RG offer or you are really keen on it. They law department there is notoriously harsh in its degree classifications.
Original post by annaw1996
I'm not sure. If someone got ABB at A Level and got a first from a respectable university, I don't know if a City law firm would outright reject them over someone with a 2:1 but AAB...

Unless there are automatic filters (which there will be for many, and probably higher than ABB) I can't see this happening if all else is equal.

You don't understand, most firms use automatic grade filters on their forms. They ask you to click if you have AAB or above, and if you click no it won't accept your application or just bins it. Only exception is exceptional mitigating circumstances. Sub AAB and you are wasting your time with most top firms.
Original post by Birkenhead
Don't go to Nottingham for law unless it is your only RG offer or you are really keen on it. They law department there is notoriously harsh in its degree classifications.

This is what I don't understand. They're notoriously harsh with classifications and admissions (I've seen/read about a lot of decent people, far better than me, being turned down) and yet here I am.

You can imagine how confused I was when I not only got an offer but then still got accepted.
Original post by Birkenhead
Unless there are automatic filters (which there will be for many, and probably higher than ABB) I can't see this happening if all else is equal.

They tend to be automatic filters, and usually at AAB (you see the odd ABB and AAA but not that many).
Original post by jenkinsear
They tend to be automatic filters, and usually at AAB (you see the odd ABB and AAA but not that many).

Ah, I did not realise this.
Thank God I don't want to be a City lawyer!
This is what I don't understand. They're notoriously harsh with classifications and admissions (I've seen/read about a lot of decent people, far better than me, being turned down) and yet here I am.

You can imagine how confused I was when I not only got an offer but then still got accepted.

I was more referring to classes of degrees. Scroll down to the degree class pie chart here: http://m.unistats.ac.uk/subjects/study/10007154FT-M100/ReturnTo/Search

30% get 2:2s despite it being a prestigious university with high entry requirements...reasonable to assume they are much harsher in their marking than other RG unis, which is why I suggest the OP cynically avoid it unless it is their only RG offer or they are very keen on it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending