The Student Room Group

Are IELTS hard?

I'm considering doing IELTS for one of my uni's as it part of the conditional offer. Just wanted to know if they are hard. Bear in mind that I've spoken English my whole life and gone to a British system school since year 2. Is there anything that I should be worried about?
No it's not very hard if English is your first language or you've through formal education in English. Just make sure you've practiced each component at least once and you'll be fine. I think the most difficult part might be the speaking part if you're shy though.
Original post by creamymami
No it's not very hard if English is your first language or you've through formal education in English. Just make sure you've practiced each component at least once and you'll be fine. I think the most difficult part might be the speaking part if you're shy though.

I'd say focus on reading and writing the most!
Reply 3
I have taken ielts twice. English is not my first language and I studied all my subjects in English since year 7. What score are you aiming for?
Listening, it's not hard at all.
Reading, if you want good score, get the official book online and do the exercise. Make sure you are familiar with the style of questions and you will be fine.
Writing, there are loads of band 7 sample online, read some of them. I would say it is all about luck.
Speaking, not hard for me even English is my second language. Remember to relax in the exam. Try to say more than what the examinar is asking for.
Good luck with your ielts exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Wing:)
I have taken ielts twice. English is not my first language and I studied all my subjects in English since year 7. What score are you aiming for?
Listening, it's not hard at all.
Reading, if you want good score, get the official book online and do the exercise. Make sure you are familiar with the style of questions and you will be fine.
Writing, there are loads of band 7 sample online, read some of them. I would say it is all about luck.
Speaking, not hard for me even English is my second language. Remember to relax in the exam. Try to say more than what the examinar is asking for.
Good luck with your ielts exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I'm looking to score an 8.0 or higher.
Reply 5
Original post by Marie_King
Thanks. I'm looking to score an 8.0 or higher.

That's really high. You should be okay as English is your first language. What did you applied for uni? Got 7.5 last time and I am so happy with my result.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Wing:)
That's really high. You should be okay as English is your first language. What did you applied for uni? Got 7.5 last time and I am so happy with my result.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied for International Business.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending