The Student Room Group

Help me factorise this! Looks simple but it's not!

16x410x2+1=0 16x^4 - 10x^2 +1 =0

I really need help factorising this as I have only just realised that I have never learnt how it's done. I can only factorise quadratics at this point!

Thank you for any help, I really do appreciate it and need this for a few questions.

Feel free to give me examples of different questions and their working. I'm not asking for someone to do my homework for me, I just need to understand this for a question (FP3 June 2006 Qn 3 part b) as the mark scheme if very unclear and skips working.

THANK YOU FOR THE HELP <3 <3 <3

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
(8x^2-1)(2x^2-1)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by newguy101

You mention you only know how to factorise quadratics but you kind of have one you can use...
A ''dummy variable'' immediately comes to mind.
Hint- let y=x^2 (this will help factor it)
np :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MedAppli
(8x^2-1)(2x^2-1)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's against the TSR rules to just post the answer to the question...
Find two numbers which will multiply to give 16 and add to give 10.
Then, two numbers that multiply to give 1. A bit of help: - * - = +.
1 is a prime number.

The rest I'll give you help on later, those are just the numbers, how to find out how to factorise it is another thing, a clue is like terms.
Original post by Chittesh14
1 is a prime number.
The rest I'll give you help on later, those are just the numbers, how to find out how to factorise it is another thing, a clue is like terms.

This method gets rather intuitive after time so you'll be able to do this without thinking too much about it. :smile:

I really need help factorising this as I have only just realised that I have never learnt how it's done. I can only factorise quadratics at this point!

Thank you for any help, I really do appreciate it and need this for a few questions.

Feel free to give me examples of different questions and their working. I'm not asking for someone to do my homework for me, I just need to understand this for a question (FP3 June 2006 Qn 3 part b) as the mark scheme if very unclear and skips working.

As Mathmeister say, if you temporarily let u=x2u=x^2, then you have 16u210u+1=016u^2-10u+1=0, which you should be able to factorise. You can then put x^2 back in at the end.
Reply 7
Thanks so much for the help guys
Thanks so much for the help guys

Not a problem buddy :smile:.
Reply 9
Original post by Chittesh14
1 is a prime number.

Your method is fine but this is not :smile:
Original post by davros

Can confirm.
Original post by davros

Thanks, perfect eyes! I forgot the first prime number is 2 hehe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest