The Student Room Group

'Massive cyst' on my tonsils - panicking.

I just went to the walk in centre because I have some kind of chest infection, lots of chest pain and sinus pain. I've got antibiotics because it was getting worse, but they decided to check my throat while I was there. Both nurse and doctor confirmed my throat was infected, tonsils were huge and that there was a 'huge' cyst on one side of my tonsils. They've written a letter to my Doctor and told me to go and ask for a referral to EN&T on Monday. I know it's probably nothing sinister, but I'm already getting worried about it being cancer :frown: The only thing reassuring me slightly is I've had trouble swallowing for about 3 yrs and have often had a 'lump' sensation in my throat, so it's not a recent thing. I just didn't know what was causing it.

I'll have to wait 3 weeks or so to find out anyway, but in the meantime I'll be worried sick. My parents aren't concerned by it and are sure it'll be benign, but that doesn't reassure me a lot.
Hopefully its benign try and remain calm and patient.

The lump has probably been inflamed
Original post by bittr n swt
Hopefully its benign try and remain calm and patient.

The lump has probably been inflamed

Thanks. I'm trying to focus on getting better first so hopefully it'll put the size in perspective. As long as it's benign it could actually explain a lot i.e difficulty swallowing food, choking, seeming smallness of my throat.
Original post by The Nightingale
Thanks. I'm trying to focus on getting better first so hopefully it'll put the size in perspective. As long as it's benign it could actually explain a lot i.e difficulty swallowing food, choking, seeming smallness of my throat.

hope its all fine update us on the results :smile:
Original post by The Nightingale
I just went to the walk in centre because I have some kind of chest infection, lots of chest pain and sinus pain. I've got antibiotics because it was getting worse, but they decided to check my throat while I was there. Both nurse and doctor confirmed my throat was infected, tonsils were huge and that there was a 'huge' cyst on one side of my tonsils. They've written a letter to my Doctor and told me to go and ask for a referral to EN&T on Monday. I know it's probably nothing sinister, but I'm already getting worried about it being cancer :frown: The only thing reassuring me slightly is I've had trouble swallowing for about 3 yrs and have often had a 'lump' sensation in my throat, so it's not a recent thing. I just didn't know what was causing it.

I'll have to wait 3 weeks or so to find out anyway, but in the meantime I'll be worried sick. My parents aren't concerned by it and are sure it'll be benign, but that doesn't reassure me a lot.

I had this exact same thing after 3 lots of tonsilitis in 4 weeks. Spoke to the doctor and he took a swab but it came back with nothing and gradually its gone down. I've had a realllyy bad history with tonsilitis so I've been through it all, it's probably nothing to worry about.
If they say it's a cyst, it's a cyst. A cyst and cancer are two completely different things, you can't get cancer from a cyst. Cysts are long term things, like a cancer growth, but they won't kill you, they usually just need to be removed. It's nothing to worry about, if they thought it was cancer they would have been more serious, but it's easy (when medically trained) most of the time to tell the difference between a cyst and cancer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest