The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aspiringlawyer20
Hi everyone,

I have an assessment day at Macfarlanes on the 6th Jan. It states that there will be a group exercise, a written exercise and a partner interview. Although this appears similar to most other assessment days that I have done, has anyone got any specific advice relating to the Macfarlanes one? Has anyone done one before?

Thanks very much for your help.

Congrats!! Whilst I'm afraid I can't offer advice, my Macfarlanes assessment day is on the 13th Jan, so I will be keen to hear what you have to say on here after yours - do come back and share your experience! :P

It's also my first ever interview or assessment centre at a law firm, so I have a lot to learn I think!
The Macfarlanes application asked for a cover letter as well as numerous questions.

I tried to provide a brief description of my relevant experience and skills that would help me be a success at Macfarlanes without providing the detail that I gave in the other questions.

Try to avoid repeating too much information that you have previously given as it's redundant and I'd imagine it's rather frustrating for the reader.

I focused on:

1) Why do you want to work at the firm?
2) What makes you a good choice?

Hope that helps!

Thank you! How many words did you write if you don't mind me asking?
Has anyone had any experience with Travers Smith interviews ? Thanks !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TykeDragon
Congrats!! Whilst I'm afraid I can't offer advice, my Macfarlanes assessment day is on the 13th Jan, so I will be keen to hear what you have to say on here after yours - do come back and share your experience! :P

It's also my first ever interview or assessment centre at a law firm, so I have a lot to learn I think!

Yeah mine too.

Yes I shall, hopefully it will have been a positive experience!
Original post by Swimmer
Thank you! How many words did you write if you don't mind me asking?

Seems quite short looking back on it!
Original post by KatieRosePicknel
Has anyone had any experience with Travers Smith interviews ? Thanks !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! Have you heard from them already?
I applied for their winter scheme and summer scheme but quite late on and they had just filled their winter slots but based on my application they offered me a summer scheme interview back in early December

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 667
do people think its better to make TC applications now or to wait until the June/july window opens up in case you manage to get a vac scheme somewhere and then have more experience?

also thoughts on applying straight for TCs instead of for vac schemes? do most places stop you from applying for a TC in the same year if you didn't make it to a vac scheme?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KatieRosePicknel
I applied for their winter scheme and summer scheme but quite late on and they had just filled their winter slots but based on my application they offered me a summer scheme interview back in early December

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay! All the best!
How many vac scheme applications do you all intend to do each? I've submitted 5 so far (all relatively recently from mid Dec to now, so haven't heard back from anyone yet). Initially, I didn't want to do more than 7-8, but with several other firms capturing my interest, I'm not certain!
Does anyone find with a finished application that they constantly read it before they submit it? I have had one app completed for about a week now! I think it's because I've spent so much time and effort on it, that I want to make sure every little detail is correct and that I am happy with it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah mine too.

Yes I shall, hopefully it will have been a positive experience!

Good luck then, my friend!
Original post by TrainingChopeful
Does anyone find with a finished application that they constantly read it before they submit it? I have had one app completed for about a week now! I think it's because I've spent so much time and effort on it, that I want to make sure every little detail is correct and that I am happy with it.

I do this a lot, especially after I find a mistake after the third or fourth reading. You just can't afford to make a minor mistake for these top firms.

Which app was it that took you a week? :smile:
Original post by Horse273
I do this a lot, especially after I find a mistake after the third or fourth reading. You just can't afford to make a minor mistake for these top firms.

Which app was it that took you a week? :smile:

Happy to hear that it's not just me :biggrin: it's for Burges Salmon - I went to an event at the firm and really liked what I heard so decided to apply! Where are you applying to?
Original post by NotMikeRoss
My efforts so far, mix of winter and summer vac schemes (I forget exactly which is which..!). I'm a final year non-lawyer:

Hogan Lovells - WG test --> Phone interview --> Final assessment day --> Rejection :frown:
CMS Cameron McKenna - WG test done
Jones Day - Interview --> Waiting for result
HSF - Tests done, waiting on outcome
Weil - Waiting
Skadden - Waiting
Cleary Gottlieb - They asked for my results transcript..don't know if that's good or bad
Mishcon de Reya - Video interview --> Assessment day to come probably in the new year
Travers Smith - Interview booked for in a few days time
White and Case - Waiting
DLA Piper - Waiting but they're not rolling so will be a while

If anyone has questions which I might be any help with feel free to ask

Hi, I was wondering if you had completed your interview for Travers Smith yet? and if so, what sort of thing should I expect as I have an interview coming up in February. Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.
Original post by TrainingChopeful
Happy to hear that it's not just me :biggrin: it's for Burges Salmon - I went to an event at the firm and really liked what I heard so decided to apply! Where are you applying to?

Oh cool was that in their London or Bristol office? I've only applied to FF and Slaughters so far, but I'm planning on doing one or two more apps before the end of the holidays :smile:
Original post by Horse273
Oh cool was that in their London or Bristol office? I've only applied to FF and Slaughters so far, but I'm planning on doing one or two more apps before the end of the holidays :smile:

Bristol :smile: - only Bristol one I'm applying for so decided to apply for a VS to find out a bit more about the firm. Yeah I want to apply for a couple more - currently have a half completed one for Withers. Have you had any luck? Best of luck for your other applications!
Is it still worth applying to Freshfields now or is it too late?
Reply 678
Can anyone shed some light on how they approached the Macfarlanes application? The one thing that is confusing me is the competency questions coupled with the inclusion of a cover letter. What makes it even more difficult to approach is the 500 word limit for each question. I understand that it is good to always, if possible, write to the word limit exhausting why you want a position etc but that leaves me wondering what to include in the cover letter considering they don't want it to be a repetition of the answer to the questions...?
Original post by Defragmentation
Is it still worth applying to Freshfields now or is it too late?

Still time. Chance has obviously decreased, but attempt to get it in before the New Year and then hope for the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending