The Student Room Group

kunundrum

Hello all, I have a decision to make regarding my choice of university and was hoping for a little advice. The University of East Anglia recently offered me an 'unconditional if firm' place to study Economics. However, my first choice (University of Nottingham) are yet to reply to my application and when they do will in all likelihood offer me a conditional place with the requirements AAB. I'm currently on a gap year and therefore have my final A-level grades, which are BBC. My question to you is would it be worth the risk of my grades not going up and missing out on not only Nottingham's offer but UEA's also in order to firm Nottingham? Or should I firm UEA, despite being a less prestigious university, so that I know for certain I'll be at a respected university in September regardless of how my resist go this summer? Advice or help in any form is much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Boony
Hello all, I have a decision to make regarding my choice of university and was hoping for a little advice. The University of East Anglia recently offered me an 'unconditional if firm' place to study Economics. However, my first choice (University of Nottingham) are yet to reply to my application and when they do will in all likelihood offer me a conditional place with the requirements AAB. I'm currently on a gap year and therefore have my final A-level grades, which are BBC. My question to you is would it be worth the risk of my grades not going up and missing out on not only Nottingham's offer but UEA's also in order to firm Nottingham? Or should I firm UEA, despite being a less prestigious university, so that I know for certain I'll be at a respected university in September regardless of how my resist go this summer? Advice or help in any form is much appreciated.

This is a no brainer

Wait for notts and firm
Then insure uea
Reply 2
Original post by Ahwab
This is a no brainer

Wait for notts and firm
Then insure uea

The only worry is that if I don't go up by at least 2 grades after my resists I won't get into either.
Original post by Boony

UEA is a perfectly respectable university. I would not be especially hopeful of Nottingham making you an offer from an achieved base of BBC, especially for a competitive course like economics. I suspect this is a decision you won't have to make in the end, but as long as you like the place, which you can only tell by visiting, I would snatch UEA's hand off, personally.
I agree totally with carnationlilyrose. There is no guarantee of you getting into Nottingham and UEA is every bit as good anyway so you are in a win-win position taking up East Anglia's offer. Unfortunately there is a mistaken belief that Russell Group universities are all more prestigious than others. if you take the current CUG rankings 9 0f the top 15 unis are RG unis. Of these 3 only joined in 2012 so were you applying 3 years ago the top 15 would have included more non RG unis than RG unis. Durham Exeter and York have not suddenly got better since joining the RG.
If it were me in that situation I'd take the unconditional offer. As you don't have the grades for Nottingham you certainly have a risk of not getting a place at either university. As the people above have said, UEA is very respectable university and by firming it you know you definitely have a place at university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ADVICE re Unconditional offers :

Do not be over flattered by such an offer. It does not mean that that University is desperate to recruit you. It is simply a blatant marketing technique to encourage applicants to go Firm with that University. Since Adjustment and 'uncapped places' were introduced a few years ago, some Universities are aware that they are losing many Firmers on Results Day who have exceeded their expected grades, who then apply to other Universities. Making Unconditional offers, they feel, might be a way of discouraging this.

An Unconditional place regardless of your results might seem like a dream Offer - but be aware that there are disadvantages in accepting this as your Firm.

Do you actually want to go to this Uni and do this course? If it was a Conditional offer, would you still want to go there and only there? Be honest about this. 3 years at the 'wrong' Uni because they made you an Unconditional offer could equal a rubbish degree result simply because you actually hated it.

If you have an Unconditional Firm you cannot, by definition, have an Insurance choice. You choose this Unconditional place - no way back.

If you accept an Unconditional offer with unknown A level grades as your Firm you are committed to going to that University whatever grades you get on Results Day. Since the offer is Unconditional you are not eligible for Adjustment even if on Results Day you exceed the grades normally required for that course.

A level results will still matter. Many Graduate recruitment schemes use high UCAS points as a selection criteria. If an Unconditional offer means you slack off on your A level studies because you feel it 'doesn't matter anymore', this may have unexpected implications later in your life.

Most of the Universities making Unconditional offers to an A level candidate do this only if you accept that offer as your Firm - the offer will be withdrawn if you make it your Insurance.

So, be VERY careful that you really DO understand the implications of what you are deciding. Many applicants just dont think this out clearly and really regret accepting an Unconditional offer - but by then its too late to change their minds and they are stuck with it.

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sydneybridge

Do not be over flattered by such an offer. It does not mean that that University is desperate to recruit you. It is simply a blatant marketing technique to encourage applicants to go Firm with that University. Since Adjustment and 'uncapped places' were introduced a few years ago, some Universities are aware that they are losing many Firmers on Results Day who have exceeded their expected grades, who then apply to other Universities. Making Unconditional offers, they feel, might be a way of discouraging this.

An Unconditional place regardless of your results might seem like a dream Offer - but be aware that there are disadvantages in accepting this as your Firm.

Do you actually want to go to this Uni and do this course? If it was a Conditional offer, would you still want to go there and only there? Be honest about this. 3 years at the 'wrong' Uni because they made you an Unconditional offer could equal a rubbish degree result simply because you actually hated it.

If you have an Unconditional Firm you cannot, by definition, have an Insurance choice. You choose this Unconditional place - no way back.

If you accept an Unconditional offer with unknown A level grades as your Firm you are committed to going to that University whatever grades you get on Results Day. Since the offer is Unconditional you are not eligible for Adjustment even if on Results Day you exceed the grades normally required for that course.

A level results will still matter. Many Graduate recruitment schemes use high UCAS points as a selection criteria. If an Unconditional offer means you slack off on your A level studies because you feel it 'doesn't matter anymore', this may have unexpected implications later in your life.

Most of the Universities making Unconditional offers to an A level candidate do this only if you accept that offer as your Firm - the offer will be withdrawn if you make it your Insurance.

So, be VERY careful that you really DO understand the implications of what you are deciding. Many applicants just dont think this out clearly and really regret accepting an Unconditional offer - but by then its too late to change their minds and they are stuck with it.

PRSOM
Reply 8
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
UEA is a perfectly respectable university. I would not be especially hopeful of Nottingham making you an offer from an achieved base of BBC, especially for a competitive course like economics. I suspect this is a decision you won't have to make in the end, but as long as you like the place, which you can only tell by visiting, I would snatch UEA's hand off, personally.

Thank you for your response! I didn't specify that the course I am applying to at Nottingham is Finance, Accounting and Management rather than Economics. Therefore, I'm hopeful that I will get an offer but I will not be too disappointed if I don't because it will mean there's no decision to make!
Reply 9
Original post by swanseajack1
I agree totally with carnationlilyrose. There is no guarantee of you getting into Nottingham and UEA is every bit as good anyway so you are in a win-win position taking up East Anglia's offer. Unfortunately there is a mistaken belief that Russell Group universities are all more prestigious than others. if you take the current CUG rankings 9 0f the top 15 unis are RG unis. Of these 3 only joined in 2012 so were you applying 3 years ago the top 15 would have included more non RG unis than RG unis. Durham Exeter and York have not suddenly got better since joining the RG.

Thank you for your response! In my opinion Nottingham is a better university because of its graduate prospects and business school. That in no way is to say UEA is not a fine institution. As you said, after I attend UEA's applicant visit day I'll be in a better position to make the decision. I agree that the Russell Group tag is losing its weighting and hasn't really influenced my university choices.
Reply 10
Original post by Lkathryn08
If it were me in that situation I'd take the unconditional offer. As you don't have the grades for Nottingham you certainly have a risk of not getting a place at either university. As the people above have said, UEA is very respectable university and by firming it you know you definitely have a place at university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your response. I'll certainly wait and see what Nottingham's offer is, if it ever does come. Should I enjoy the applicant visit day in a months time, I'll be leaning towards UEA firm.
Reply 11

Thank you for your response! Lots of very valid points made. I'll wait and see if Nottingham offer me a place and also do plenty of research into UEA on the applicant visit day.
Original post by Boony
Thank you for your response! In my opinion Nottingham is a better university because of its graduate prospects and business school. That in no way is to say UEA is not a fine institution. As you said, after I attend UEA's applicant visit day I'll be in a better position to make the decision. I agree that the Russell Group tag is losing its weighting and hasn't really influenced my university choices.
your entitled to your opinion but both cug and gug rate uea higher than Nottingham. however this means little because in practice one is just as good as the other. unfortunately one is an rg so people think it is better
Reply 13
your entitled to your opinion but both cug and gug rate uea higher than Nottingham. however this means little because in practice one is just as good as the other. unfortunately one is an rg so people think it is better

What about Economics specifically? CUG and GUG place Nottingham very highly for business related courses.
Original post by Boony
What about Economics specifically? CUG and GUG place Nottingham very highly for business related courses.

The thing about league tables is that the one that matters is the one for the year you graduate, not the year you start. Since no one has a crystal ball, basing your choices on something that changes so rapidly and has frankly very little credibility in the real world of employment makes no sense at all. Choose the course and the place you like best.
for accounting and finance which you have applied for Nottingham is 3 places above uea. generally uea is about 10 places above Nottingham but it is such a small difference it will mean nothing, you need to concentrate on where you will be happiest and not the unis perceived reputation. if you are happy when you go to uea take it. there is absolutely no sense in risking a rejection on the perceived basis that one is much better than the other
Reply 16
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
The thing about league tables is that the one that matters is the one for the year you graduate, not the year you start. Since no one has a crystal ball, basing your choices on something that changes so rapidly and has frankly very little credibility in the real world of employment makes no sense at all. Choose the course and the place you like best.

Yeah, agreed. Thanks for the advice.
Reply 17
for accounting and finance which you have applied for Nottingham is 3 places above uea. generally uea is about 10 places above Nottingham but it is such a small difference it will mean nothing, you need to concentrate on where you will be happiest and not the unis perceived reputation. if you are happy when you go to uea take it. there is absolutely no sense in risking a rejection on the perceived basis that one is much better than the other

Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing the universities in the flesh and making a decision afterwards. Thank you for all the advice!
Actually all LEAGUE TABLES are a complete load of nonsense, and most mainstream employers dont have a clue what they are - and they wouldnt use them as the benchmark to pick an employee so why are you using them to pick a Uni?

I went to my first Uni in its glory years when people were clamouring to get into it and I was lucky. That was before RG and all that stupid League Table nonsense. We just picked Unis because we liked the campus and the course. Guess what - despite the fact that many of you would disparage that Uni, it stands proud on my CV and in my current role as an a senior academic/consultant no-one ever looks at it and says 'You went where? Oh no we couldnt possibly employ you'. Instead they say things like 'Solid academic background'. And that should tell you something very important - even the Universities themselves think League Tables are utter rubbish.
Reply 19
Actually all LEAGUE TABLES are a complete load of nonsense, and most mainstream employers dont have a clue what they are - and they wouldnt use them as the benchmark to pick an employee so why are you using them to pick a Uni?

I went to my first Uni in its glory years when people were clamouring to get into it and I was lucky. That was before RG and all that stupid League Table nonsense. We just picked Unis because we liked the campus and the course. Guess what - despite the fact that many of you would disparage that Uni, it stands proud on my CV and in my current role as an a senior academic/consultant no-one ever looks at it and says 'You went where? Oh no we couldnt possibly employ you'. Instead they say things like 'Solid academic background'. And that should tell you something very important - even the Universities themselves think League Tables are utter rubbish.

In my opinion league tables are useful to get a rough idea of the stature of an institution. Admittedly, they aren't helpful in predicting the future of the university as you said. Nor can they tell you if you'll enjoy your course or time at the university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending