The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

I'm off to the game tomorrow. Anfield Road End. Can see us losing tbh.
Original post by Mackay
I'm off to the game tomorrow. Anfield Road End. Can see us losing tbh.

Enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stirlo
Sorry but Achterberg is a terrible coach and I don't think he has any CL experience.

Played for Tranmere for 10 years and we were his first coaching job.

There a lot of people who blame him for the decline of Reina, after Valero left.

Says who? Have you seen him coaching?

'A jockey doesn't have to have been born a horse'

Oh because leaving the guidance of Achterberg, for Napoli and Valero, really caused an upturn in his form didn't it?

I don't know the slightest about Achterberg but it's just nonsense to write him off when you probably know less than me.
ewEMD8D.png

Supposedly leaked lineup for tommorows game.

If that lineup is true than I'm happy with that tbh, Hendo back in CM, actual fullbacks and Gerrard rested. Toure is probably injured which is why Can starts as CB, only worry is that he's inexperienced so can he hold line against the likes of Bony? Markovic and Gerrard can come on if we are struggling to score. We could also easily switch to a 4-3-3 by shifting Can into CM.
(edited 9 years ago)
How can a lineup be leaked? Doubt Rodgers has even told the players yet.
Original post by Mackay

No idea, got that lineup from RAWK which was why I said "supposedly". But I thought it was a lineup worth posting anyway. Forgot about Balotelli, we have the option to sub him on play him upfront with Sterling.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samir12
No idea, got that lineup from RAWK which was why I said "supposedly". But I thought it was a lineup worth posting anyway. Forgot about Balotelli, we have the option to sub him on play him upfront with Sterling.

I see.

Sterling needs rest eventually, though. I'm really worried about his fitness levels. Saw that Rodgers is tasking him to get 10-15 goals this season, which would be a healthy return for a kid who is a natural winger.
Original post by Mackay

Ours was leaked pretty much every game last season. Cleverley and Ferdinand were rumoured to be behind it.
Reply 7708
Original post by samir12

Supposedly leaked lineup for tommorows game.

If that lineup is true than I'm happy with that tbh, Hendo back in CM, actual fullbacks and Gerrard rested. Toure is probably injured which is why Can starts as CB, only worry is that he's inexperienced so can he hold line against the likes of Bony? Markovic and Gerrard can come on if we are struggling to score. We could also easily switch to a 4-3-3 by shifting Can into CM.

If it is that 11 in a 3-4-3, then I would imagine Manquillo would play RCB, Can at CM, and Hendo would stay at RCB. Either that or we would return to a 4-3-3. I just can't see Can playing as a RCB.
Original post by sr90
Ours was leaked pretty much every game last season. Cleverley and Ferdinand were rumoured to be behind it.

The lesson to be learned rom that? Don't take Rio's chips away.
Original post by Mackay
I see.

Sterling needs rest eventually, though. I'm really worried about his fitness levels. Saw that Rodgers is tasking him to get 10-15 goals this season, which would be a healthy return for a kid who is a natural winger.

Think Rodgers plans to rest him when Sturridge returns in Jan, Balotelli will come in his place and played upfront with Sturridge. 10-15 goals would be a very good achievement considering he has been carrying the team, burn out and not an actual striker (although he could develop as one)
Original post by samir12
Think Rodgers plans to rest him when Sturridge returns in Jan, Balotelli will come in his place and played upfront with Sturridge. 10-15 goals would be a very good achievement considering he has been carrying the team, burn out and not an actual striker (although he could develop as one)

Read an interview with Kolo today and he seems convinced Sterling will eventually become a striker.
Reply 7712
Original post by Mackay

the bib theory was pretty much spot on for almost every game last season. I've not heard about it this season so I'm not sure if it is still accurate. Basically last season, in one training session every week (I can't remember if it was a day or 2 days before the match), the players would wear bibs of two different colours. One colour were starting the next match, the rest weren't. You could usually work out which is which by looking at which colour Mignolet, Gerrard and Suarez were wearing. It's pretty easy to look over the wall at Melwood and work it out if you knew when to do it. Heard a lot about it in the first half of last season, less so in the second half where our team only really changed if there were injuries.
Original post by cBay
If it is that 11 in a 3-4-3, then I would imagine Manquillo would play RCB, Can at CM, and Hendo would stay at RCB. Either that or we would return to a 4-3-3. I just can't see Can playing as a RCB.

I see no reason why he cannot play as a RCB as he was solid against Burnley when played at that position. Read that he also played as a CB for Germany U21 too and was also solid so it's not an unfamiliar position for him. But ideally we want him playing as a CM but he can't sustain it for 90 minutes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7714
Original post by samir12
I see no reason why he cannot play as a RCB as he was solid against Burnley when played at that position. Read that he also played as a CB for Germany U21 too and was also solid so it's not an unfamiliar position for him.

oh fair enough, I missed the Burnley game unfortunately :P I had seen that he had come on at half-time and presumed we had gone all out attack with just 2 defenders because we were struggling to break through.

just got back from travelling home and delighted to see the results! Only Arsenal managed a win. I hope we can take advantage of it, but knowing us...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cBay
oh fair enough, I missed the Burnley game unfortunately :P

just got back from travelling home and delighted to see the results! Only Arsenal managed a win. I hope we can take advantage of it, but knowing us...

You didn't miss much, it was a dire performance and Burnley were all over us but didn't really create many clear cut chances, they had zero shots on goal so they had **** all quality upfront. Can did well to stay solid under a lot of pressure.

Yep, this is a typical game for us to lose when rival teams drop points...
Original post by cBay
oh fair enough, I missed the Burnley game unfortunately :P

Same! I'm glad I did, though. Was dire apparently.

Heading up to Liverpool tomorrow afternoon for the game. Looking forward to it but can see us being frustrated. Swansea are a clever side and Monk will have a point to prove against Rodgers.

We've already come unstuck against one ex-Swansea manager in Basel this season.
Got a ticket to the Leicester game :biggrin:
Please don't mess this up boys.
Would be almost expected for us to bottle it when our rivals drop points, but I just want a decent end to the year.
Match-day! Can't wait to be back at Anfield.

Quick Reply

Latest